Looking for a good AR trigger

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Scratch
Silent But Deadly

Looking for a good AR trigger

Post by Scratch »

I'm finishing up a new AR and want a new trigger for it. Being an FFL, I get questions all the time about which "thing" should I put on my gun, so I when I do need multiples of something (optics, slings, triggers, stocks, pistol grips,etc...) for my personal use, I like to get different ones so I can try them out and give my honest opinion on them. Plus I can let my customers see and try them out for themselves.
So since I need another trigger, I'd like to get one of the more popular triggers out there that everyone suggests, that's where I need your help.

Tell me your favorite trigger for a defense type AR, not a precision shooter. More of a SHTF, battle, training, 100 yards and under rifle.

If your exact trigger has been mentioned, please post it again. I'm looking for the most popular triggers. I already have some of them, but I won't say which ones to sway any suggestions.

Thanks!
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Looking for a good AR trigger

Post by smustian »

ALG ACT or Rock River National Match are what I run on all mine. The ACT now comes with a regular and a reduced power hammer spring in the box. IIRC the reduced power hammer spring gives a 4.5 lb pull and regular spring around 6 lb. For $75 it is hard to beat. ALG is Geiselle's wife's company.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Rock River NM is the best bang for the buck out there. I can hardly tell the difference between them and a $250 geiselle that I have.

Number 1 best trigger upgrade is $12 adjustable grip screw. 90% of stock AR trigger suckage is due to the slop.
pruhdlr
Silent But Deadly

Post by pruhdlr »

To fit your parameters (SD and not target) my advice is stick with the milspec FCG. Simply replace your hammer and trigger springs with the JP springs. Install a ambi safety while your at it.
For combat type shooting (as in SD/HD) I suggest that you "slap" the trigger as in shooting a shotgun. ---- pruhdlr
Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
STONER 63A / XM177E2
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Get the Hiperfire 3G trigger. I am a trigger snob and have tried almost every single trigger on the market. I even do my own triggers and have for several decades.

Without a doubt the Hiperfire 3G is the best trigger I have ever pulled. It goes in like a standard trigger then uses springs of various weights to adjust the pull weight. The lighter the trigger the harder the hammer hits the primer so you will not get any light primer strikes. The toggle springs lighten the pressure on the sear to lighten the trigger pull but when the toggle springs toggle over they apply more force to the hammer. They are adjustable from 4 pounds down to 2 pounds, can be adjusted in less than a minute and require no special tools to swap toggle springs.

Joe Bob has the 3G version on sale for $150 right now but also has the standard trigger on sale for $120. The difference is the amount of take up.

I like them so much that I am replacing every AR trigger I have with a Hiperfire.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

I love my Geisselle SD-3Gs.
Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

I use Geisselle on all my AR's. Easy to install, simple in form, tested in combat, and they give a two stage pull that I find much nicer than any standard AR trigger, or the single stage triggers I have tried. I prefer a two stage trigger, as that is the style upon which I learned back in the day (M-14).

There are plenty of other nice two stage triggers available too, such as the Rock River Match, or Compass Lake Engineering, both of which I have, but my first vote still goes for Geisselle. BTW, Brownell's has a sale on them on a fairly routine basis, so if you're in no rush, you might want to wait for one of those.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

I use POF single stage drop-ins for all my close and fast rifles. Crisp break, fast reset. Nice set up
A Boy Named Sue
Senior Silent Operator

Post by A Boy Named Sue »

I use the Sons of Liberty Gun Works liberty fighting trigger for my 9" 300blk pistol. I basically set it up for everything you mentioned wanting to do. My go to SHTF load out. Anything more precise I go with Geissele.
https://sonsoflibertygunworks.com/colle ... 0449738113
The time calls for dark men to do dark things.
Do not be afraid to lead them to it.
remanaz

Post by remanaz »

I like Elftmann triggers. I have not tried their new fixed weight triggers but the original adjustable ones have been great.