Scope Input- Yes another Scope thread........

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Fire_Medic
Silent Operator

Scope Input- Yes another Scope thread........

Post by Fire_Medic »

I should have my new 300BLK upper very soon and debating whether to go with another RDS or get into a scope. The only scope I ever had was a Mueller APT on a .22 Savage Bolt Action I use to have which was nice for the price.

"IF" I went with glass I was looking around and it seems the SWFA SS 1-4X FFP scope is where it's at or the Viper 1-4X SFP- Has anyone compared either of the two and can provide more input. I have been away for a bit due to life getting in the way, and my registered lowered and stuff has been sitting unused. Need to change that and just curious what everyone is running with more recent information vs the older info out there when searching threads.

Main use for this will be in tactical settings and punching paper out to 300 but mostly 200 and in and really 100 and in for the bulk of it.

This will be my only rifle for now.

Thanks
FM
Overton-AR
Silent But Deadly

Re: Scope Input- Yes another Scope thread........

Post by Overton-AR »

I have the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x and it is excellent. I have other scopes WITH and W/OUT the FFP feature and I can tell you that FOR ME....it would be absolutely worthless in a 1-4x scope. The 1-4x for me is simply a dual magnified optic. It spends 99.9% of its life on EITHER 1x or 4x. The reticle is calibrated at 4x.....so when I need to used the reticle for anything other than the "center"....I use it on 4x.
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

...unless you area a "glass aficionado", get what you can afford and will do the job for your intended purposes.

Based on your stated purposes and distances, a RDS with magnifier (3X-6X) will do the same thing as a 1-4X scope for the 300 and beyond distances for "tactical" situations where COM hits are the preferred. >100 & >200 distances won't really require magnification and the RDS will take less time to acquire a sight picture than a scope, even if you have the RDS magnifier in place. Most scope rings put the scope bore lower than RDS's.... RDS mounts normally place the bore of the RDS higher and allow the head to be in a more upright position for for CQB/tactical scenarios involving movement.

...but, as always it will be your personal preference....
Fire_Medic
Silent Operator

Post by Fire_Medic »

r.tenorio671 wrote:...unless you area a "glass aficionado", get what you can afford and will do the job for your intended purposes.

Based on your stated purposes and distances, a RDS with magnifier (3X-6X) will do the same thing as a 1-4X scope for the 300 and beyond distances for "tactical" situations where COM hits are the preferred. >100 & >200 distances won't really require magnification and the RDS will take less time to acquire a sight picture than a scope, even if you have the RDS magnifier in place. Most scope rings put the scope bore lower than RDS's.... RDS mounts normally place the bore of the RDS higher and allow the head to be in a more upright position for for CQB/tactical scenarios involving movement.

...but, as always it will be your personal preference....
I don't see a lot of overwhelming support for the 300blk specific Eotech out on the internet either as that was my first thought over the Aimpoint although I have run my share of T1's and PRO's in the past.

The expansion of Trijicon's ACOG lineup to include 300 BLK specific BDC's is also very interesting to me.

However I might just go with irons for now and get a can and while I wait for the can I can save for whatever optic I'd like/want and then I have more time to research what would be better for "my" uses.

FM
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

Why pay 800.00 when you can pay 299.00. http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-1-4x24-Tactical ... 78365.aspx

This scope is on sale you just need to dig through the site more or call them.

Bang for the buck that is a very easy decision to make. 30mm tube, FFP, SWFA quality and in a scope that inexpensive is just awesome.

Top it off with a Bobro QD mount. You mentioned a tacticool situation so you will want QD in case the scope is damaged and you need to switch to back up sights.

I have the extended 20 moa mount to future proof in case I want to use it on another rifle.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

Why pay 800.00 when you can pay 299.00. http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-1-4x24-Tactical ... 78365.aspx

This scope is on sale you just need to dig through the site more or call them.

Bang for the buck that is a very easy decision to make. 30mm tube, FFP, SWFA quality and in a scope that inexpensive is just awesome.

Top it off with a Bobro QD mount. You mentioned a tacticool situation so you will want QD in case the scope is damaged and you need to switch to back up sights.

I have the extended 20 moa mount to future proof in case I want to use it on another rifle.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
Fire_Medic
Silent Operator

Post by Fire_Medic »

A-game, the link you posted shows $399 am I missing something?

Anyhow, I was previously looking in their HD lineup and that's where the scope was at the higher price that I mentioned:
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-HD-Riflescopes-C12503.aspx
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

....FWIW, I tried out one of the Gen I Primary Arms 1-6X ACSS scopes specific to the 300BLK/AK cartridge and found it to be relatively fast @1X for CQB/IDPA and quite good @6X for 300M targets. Unfortunately, I had one of the ones out of the batch that had defective reticles and had to return it. Internet chatter since has been fairly positive about the Gen II scopes, significantly so....
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Post by farm use »

Im all about having good glass on long range rifles, but the blkout is't long range. I still like good glass but I don't like spending a ton on it. For the money the Nikon P-300 isn't bad for target, steel and deer out to 300 yrds. I dont like the cycle around the cross hair but it is clear and works for what is needed without cleaning out the bank. I put one on my Blkout Encore and it does great for what I need. I have a Weaver 3X10 Grand Slam Tactical on a 16" AR blkout. Its very clear and works great, I have shot it out to 550 yrds with ease and use the mil dots for a easy transition between supers and subs. I use a Vortex strikefire red dot on a 8" pistol, Because its quick and im not really shooting it past 150 to 200 yrds at larger targets.

It all comes down to what you want, what your going to use if for and how much you want to speed.
Fire_Medic
Silent Operator

Post by Fire_Medic »

Anyone have any recent feedback with the Eotech 2-2 sight (65 MOA circle with 2 dots)?

I'm thinking or my realistic range of shooting and intended use an RDS with a magnifier might work better..............