LEUPOLD VX-6 1-6

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

monzahunter
Silent But Deadly

LEUPOLD VX-6 1-6

Post by monzahunter »

Has anybody used this one, I did a search and saw some people wanted one. I wanted the Vortex viper 1-4 but i think i'm getting to old and need a little more power. Plus i want to use it for my 277 WLV and that might reach out a little more. The vx6 is like at the very very end of my price range, so like the elite tactical is probably out
a skateboard, piece of toast, and two minutes of angle
www.jbsfirearms.com
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Re: LEUPOLD VX-6 1-6

Post by randyrucker »

I don't own one, but it got good reviews. Personally if I was going to buy another one I would look hard at:

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-HD-1-6x24-Tacti ... 53845.aspx

Definitely go with something 6X. I have old eyes too, much better than 4X.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

I don't have a 1x6 but I do have the 3x18 with illuminated dot on my LWRC REPR. Damn nice scope but silly high price tag.
excess650
Silent But Deadly

Post by excess650 »

I've looked at and drooled over the Leupold 1-6x when they first came out, but couldn't bring myself to spend that much $. I have other, low power, compact variables including the Leupold VX-II 1-4x, VX-III 1.5-5x, Bushnell Scopechief VI 1.5-4.5x(2), Weaver Classic Extreme 1.5-4.5x (30mm) and Weaver Super Slam Euro 1.5-6x(30MM). This latter scope has the BEST glass of any that I own. IIRC, Natchez Shooters Supply had them for about $400, but that may have changed.

I would really like to look through the SWFA 1-6x before I dropped $1K on it. I DO have the SWFA 6x42 and 10x42, and they are excellent. The turrets are largish, but the clicks are positive and absolutely repeatable. Mine are MOA, rear parallax, and get used on the silhouette range where cranking the knobs is done quite often.

One of my 300BO uppers is currently sporting a Scopechief VI 1.5-4.5x, and its an excellent scope. The Leupold 1.5-5x is really closer to 1.4-4.5x and not as bright as the older Scopechief. The 30mm Weaver Super Slam Euro is 1st focal plane, and has an illuminated dot. Its a bit on the large size for a compact variable, but the glass is fabulous.
Black Rifles Matter
monzahunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by monzahunter »

Most of the scopes you listed ar in the 1.5-whatever range, have you tried the the true 1 power optic as opposed to the 1.5 and is it really different. I thought i needed a true 1 power low side but maybe i should look at some others. Now i am pretty sure i want something that goes to 6 just cause of my aging eyes
a skateboard, piece of toast, and two minutes of angle
www.jbsfirearms.com
dead-bird
Silent But Deadly

Post by dead-bird »

A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

http://swfa.com/MRAD-C4225.aspx

SWFA is on my wish list. First Focal Plane. 30mm and it can handle up to 50 cal. And I have never seen any negative comments about one of these scopes. Probably the highest value to dollar ratio line of scopes in that price range.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
DeaneM1A
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DeaneM1A »

I have been switching one back-and-forth between my SCAR17s and my S&W M&P15, 300 Whisper. I cannot say enough good things about this scope.

It has superb Leupold optics. It only weighs 14.2 ounces. I have the circle fire dot. This reticule is very fast for close quarters. It has an unbelievable field of view, 223' at 100 yards at 1X, which allows for very rapid acquisition of a target. The fire dot is activated by a simple push of a button and has a motion detector which automatically turns the dot off after no movement for 5 minutes. It is a true 1X and is easily used with both eyes.

There is some barrel distortion at the peripheral field of view. The cross hairs are a bit too coarse for very long range target shooting. However, the cross hairs are fine for metal clangers and silhouettes at longer distances.

I have decided to permanently mount this scope on my 17s and just purchased a pair of Nightforce titanium rings, which only weight 2.25 ounces per ring. I am now using a T1 on my 300 Whisper.
Ariac
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Ariac »

I have an swfa 1-6 that I picked up on black Friday. I love it, the glass is amazing. Also, I really appreciate the ffp, and think I am going to be looking for that in optics from now on.