What accessories

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

FromtheShadow

What accessories

Post by FromtheShadow »

I am running at 10.5" BO Pistol. So I know that it is not shouldered and therefore a scope is not viable. Also, with the barrel length, I am a pistol so I am not shooting long range, I have other tools for that.

But I am running just regular iron sights and standard trigger.

What trigger do you all like (I know that many like Geissle) but I am open, even to Mil-spec that has been honed (like ALG Defense).

Second, what sights do you recommend for a pistol? Stick with iron sights or go with something else? If so, what?

Lastly, on a rifle I have, I can put a scope, but I am drawn to the red dot with a 3x magnifier with a flip to the side mount. Do you all like that, is it worth it, or is a scope better? Thanks.
GOA member. Why? Because I want my money to do something good, not just buy suits.
Support solid, statewide organization. They are able to reach where national organizations can't.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Re: What accessories

Post by BJK »

Mine has a 10.3" barrel, but an over barrel blast can brings the "barrel" out to 14ish inches.

I have a Hiperfire Genesis trigger in mine with the light springs so that I get the max' primer strike and the lightest trigger. It's a nice trigger and it was an experiment for me. I'd never heard of them before I bought mine. It might not be the easiest trigger to install.

As far as the rest, mine is set up for HD and shooting out to maybe 100+ yds. It's awfully hard to justify HD out to even 50 yds IMO. But anyway, a micro red dot sight (Holosun tube sight with solar) which can be shouldered, a blade arm brace, a light/green laser combo (Truglo) , and a single point sling just in case I need both hands for some reason. My thinking is that in the home tuck the buffer/arm brace under my arm and use the light/laser for aiming. My weak hand goes out near the muzzle for control. The sling is short enough that should someone try to lever it out of my grasp they can't turn it on me. Oh, green laser and red dot sight. Why? the sight stays sighted in, but the laser collimation might get compromised. Different colors mean that I can bring the green laser to the aim point of the red dot sight and not get confused.

If I ever need to make it smaller I have a folding buffer adapter installed and for a foreend a Lancer carbon fiber unit to help keep weight down but more importantly to handle any heat from the can should I need that many rounds. A full 30 round mag fired rapidly gets the fore end warm, but not hot. Sharps Rifle Co BCG with a hi tech coating that allows it to be wiped clean with a cloth.

After that is ammo. I'm loading mine with 85 grain Maker T-Rex @ 2300fps and 1k ft/lbs. But bullets that expand at 300BLK velocity, 125grains and lighter should be fine.

One makes choices on all of it, and trades this to get that.

Could it be used for hunting? Where I hunted in the past, still hunting in deep forest, sure. With the right ammo I'd use it out to 100 yards. I'd also trade the single point sling for a 2 point for hunting, but that happens in seconds.
FromtheShadow

Post by FromtheShadow »

That sounds like a nice set up.

Mine is multi purpose and when I switched from a 556 rifle to the 300 blackout pistol, I knew I was going to have some limitations but for anything long range, I have another rifle that is a bolt action.

This is for medium to close range and while it is all mil-spec, when and if I can get some money, I would like to do some stuff to it but wasn't sure what to try.

So I will look through this list and see what strikes my interest. Thanks for sharing.
GOA member. Why? Because I want my money to do something good, not just buy suits.
Support solid, statewide organization. They are able to reach where national organizations can't.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Thanks.

I'd be very surprised if my 300BLK was a fit for anyone but me. My demand that the firearm wear a can or blast forwarder 100% of the time makes it approx' 4" longer and there are times when I wish it was shorter, until I fire it. Then the blast can shows it's worth. But I wanted the leverage of the longer fore end and quick movement it gives should I ever need to use it for CQB. But it would still swing pretty fast with a much shorter barrel section and also be out of the way of a perp' grabbing it. Trade offs. There are also ballistic reasons for the longer barrel I went with. Tradeoffs.

Another item you can jettison is the folding buffer adapter. It works fine without one and will save you 6 ounces. For HD, IMO every HD firearm needs a light of some sort for a last attempt at IDing the person the gun is pointed at.

I'd be willing to bet that whatever you come up with will be great at your stated goals. The 300BLK is just that sort of cartridge and the firearms that fire it can be extremely versatile.

I wish other folks would come into this thread so that you can get more ideas.

I thought I had a pic of it (found). It's current except for the pad that has a wire connected to the light/laser switch. That's off of it. The pressure pad wouldn't stay in place and I decided that it and the wire connection would be too frail if someone did grab the muzzle end. Sure, I could have fastened t better but that still left the wire going to the switch. The tailcap switch is much simpler, less to go wrong, and my thumb is right there.

Please let us know how it's coming along as it evolves.
FromtheShadow

Post by FromtheShadow »

BJK wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:04 pm Thanks.

I'd be very surprised if my 300BLK was a fit for anyone but me. My demand that the firearm wear a can or blast forwarder 100% of the time makes it approx' 4" longer and there are times when I wish it was shorter, until I fire it. Then the blast can shows it's worth. But I wanted the leverage of the longer fore end and quick movement it gives should I ever need to use it for CQB. But it would still swing pretty fast with a much shorter barrel section and also be out of the way of a perp' grabbing it. Trade offs. There are also ballistic reasons for the longer barrel I went with. Tradeoffs.

Another item you can jettison is the folding buffer adapter. It works fine without one and will save you 6 ounces. For HD, IMO every HD firearm needs a light of some sort for a last attempt at IDing the person the gun is pointed at.

I'd be willing to bet that whatever you come up with will be great at your stated goals. The 300BLK is just that sort of cartridge and the firearms that fire it can be extremely versatile.

I thought I had a pic of it (found). It's current except for the pad that has a wire connected to the light/laser switch. That's off of it. The pressure pad wouldn't stay in place and I decided that it and the wire connection would be too frail if someone did grab the muzzle end. Sure, I could have fastened t better but that still left the wire going to the switch. The tailcap switch is much simpler, less to go wrong, and my thumb is right there.

Please let us know how it's coming along as it evolves.
Sorry for the delay. That is another reason I don't get on many forums. My schedule is not kind some weeks.

That looks really good. I tried a pad once but the wire was always getting in the way and I could never feel that I had a "grip" on the rails.

I will check the other things that you were pointing out but I am concerned about putting anything more than iron sights on my pistol for it being mistaken as a SBR which I cannot have.

The other option, and maybe someone here would tell me, what about the IWI Tavor? It is a full size but in a Bull Pup setup. That would allow me to put on a LVPO or a red dot with a magnifier?

Just thinking here. But I will let you all know how it goes. I have the gun already, it is just now setting it up. I did put the ATF approved stabalizing brace on it but I do like the looks of the Tavor in 300 blackout. Maybe I need to make another thread? I think I will do that now.

ETA: This is what mine is like right now. I don't have a Ruger, but the setup is fairly close: https://www.vanceoutdoors.com/products2 ... zing-brace
FartinSpartan

Post by FartinSpartan »

BJK wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:04 pm

I thought I had a pic of it (found). It's current except for the pad that has a wire connected to the light/laser switch. That's off of it. The pressure pad wouldn't stay in place and I decided that it and the wire connection would be too frail if someone did grab the muzzle end.
Manta Defense makes nice switch pockets for picatinny rails:

https://mantadefense.com/product/micro- ... er-button/

but I don't think they make anything for M-Lok like this. But a piece of pic-rail gets you there. I think it needs 9 pics for a switch and an end cap on each end.

Have a couple of these on older rifles, they work well and gives you options when you are not using a brand of light that doesn't make easily mountable switches.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

I like that solution for the pressure pad. Thanks.

FWIW, due to the latest ATF unconstitutional overreach re: arm braces the above pic is no longer current. The arm brace has been removed and the handgun is now compliant. The arm brace wasn't really required and it doesn't change the way I use it one iota.