25/45 Sharps

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

TreeTopFlier
Silent But Deadly

Re: 25/45 Sharps

Post by TreeTopFlier »

Thanks allot CW for putting this on my radar and potentially costing me money. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
When I first saw the numbers on this I was skeptical to say the least.

When 5.56 NATO 77gr gets 2750fps, how do they get 2950-3000 with a heavier 87gr bullet out of the same case? Okay, yes, you get a little bit off the top for less bottle neck, some miss matched barrel lengths maybe, but overall that math is fuzzier than Obama's unemployment numbers.

Digging a little deeper, I looked at the chamber drawings. This is where it starts to make sense.

The freebore and leade combined are really long, longer than the blackout even. The blackout freebore/leade = .345 the sharps is .352"

Moving the lands out away from the bullet, as I understand it, has the effect of making a small cartridge larger since it moves out what creates the most pressure....engaging the rifling.

The same wizardry was used to get more out of the 223 chamber creating the 5.56. This allowed the case to be loaded with more potential while keeping the pressure mostly unchanged.

Anyway, couple thoughts. This, as well as the blackout would benefit from a wylde style chamber since its a pretty good ride to the lands.

Bolt gun owners would have a lot more options in terms of bullets because of this long throat.

A very interesting 223 variant option.

All just the way I see it, feel free to school me.
I build the #TTFPowderStand for the Lee Turret Press

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreeTopFlier
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I see what your saying! They also advertise 3K vel is from a 24" barrel. But they sell 16,18 &20" barrels. :) These 20's seem to do pretty well at just under 2900 fps.

This is what I will have, undecided on heavy or tapered profile...

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

87g Speer TNT easily passed 2900fps before pressure signs in my 20" barrel. Accuracy was just north of 2800 for those.

I have some 75g Hornady Vmax, 87g sierra soft point spitzers, 85g Nosler, as well as 90g Sierra blitz kings that are on deck for my Sharps barrel AR. I'm going to try them with Benchmark, 844, H335, and IMR4198. 4198 is not a speed demon, but super accurate in my heavier bullet 223 CMP loads. I am hoping that powder will also perform with lighter 25cal stuff.
maxl

Post by maxl »

Powders that work well for me have been RE 7, accurate 2200, H335, and 2230.
Bullets I have tried and worked well, sierra 75g varmit, 87g hotcore, 90g sierra flat base gameking.
I recently picked up some barnes 80g ttsx to try in my 24in encore, hoping to have some success.
For me its an easy and interesting wildcat to play with , like the 300blk it has its limitations and naysayers.
My plan for the sharps 25-45 is mostly hog hunting possibly deer, here in florida deer are not large and heavy body, so its a caliber that works for me.
Dinny

Post by Dinny »

CW,
You should ask about the 25/45 on the 6.5 Grendel forum. :mrgreen: :lol:

Thanks, Dinny
Medics Save!
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

This thread is getting a lil far down in the threads and I would still like to her f anyone is also taking this journey! My buddy struck first, ahead of me and bought a barrel and even received it last week. We mounted it to a upper he had and cobbled together a for end free float tube and gas block n tube. Then he pulled out a 2x7x32 Nikon Pro-staff scope and we mounted and bore sited that. Today we went to the range to warm the barrel up a lil. :)

I loaded up 50 of the recommended load from Sharps. Using H322 and a 85G NBT. Its a warm but safe and good shooting load in his barrel. It shoots touching at 50 yards. (Haven't shot farther yet.)

Problems so far have been finding loads for existing established powders... Seems the folks at Sharps have stock in new powders and have only built loads using these newest powders... Well my magazine contains a well rounded powder selection but not n early a pound of these new "better" powders o the last ten years.

With threads like this on a few forums I have gotten a few recommended loads and with that, I assembled six loads (reducing them 10% for good measure.) We fired these loads and recorded the results.I am glad I reduced them as every one was warm to hot in his barrel. Two where over 1" @ 50 and four where touching @ 50 so we got some work ahead but some good places to start. He is happy as one of the good shooters is the 50 pcs I loaded with the recommended Sharps load using H322 powder and the 85g NBT.

The barrel seems to have a generous chamber. I have no factory loads to compare but all brass is well expanded, the hottest loads show defined expansion at the web and all show a generous throat.

We where impressed with the accuracy of this barrel even tho we haven't reached 100 rounds thru it.

Here is the first test target. If using my data, this was safe but hot in this barrel. Ill reduce 10% more before using in the next upper I buy.

CW

cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Made another 100 cases tonight.

Also started grinding the tips on some NBT's. :)

CW

cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Yesterday, I got a couple boxes of Speer 87g SP. the ones Sharps recommends. I also found data for 4198 powder.

I'll load some test loads as well as improve on the best from last weekends shoot and be back at the range Sunday.

Another report coming forth with.

CW

cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

I was able to load up 10 individual loads to shoot today. A couple where same loads with .5 increases in powder. Most where different bullets, powder or primers. NONE of these loads exhibited excessive pressures. All loads seated to 2.252-5" Altho 2.260 223 loads fit and function 100% these 25 cal will not... Its odd but seating to .5 shorter seems to solve problems.

All shooting was sand bag rested, on a sturdy bench shot at 50 yards. Was a windy day with swirling winds. Gusts enough to have to wait at times between shots as you could not hold crosshairs on target. This time I did most of the shooting.

Over all, 4198 was a looser, BUT it did produce the tightest group with a 75g Sierra... Nearly a single hole.

One loading using IMR4198 and a 87g Speer was TERRIBLE!! First two shots went into one hole... next three opened the group to 5"!!!

My first load (last week) was a 85g NBT in front of 26g of H322. Its been a good accurate loading. I feel its a tough hot, so I adjusted by grinding the tip off allowing it to be seated longer, creating powder capacity. Then I reduced the PC by .3. The result was zero difference in POA or accuracy, but noticeably less pressures. It still is a calculated 1 MOA loading.

Here are the results of the remaining loadings.

These last two loadings where shot together. They are also a recommended load from Sharps. Using a 100g Sierra bullet because of its FB design dosen't need valuable powder capacity. Powder was H335. Accuracy was poor and low for first five. second five was fired using the top of the blk as POA.

So far I really like the 90g Sierra HPBT, 85g NBT, 75g Sierra accuracy wise. (So far)

CW

cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Today was cold... single digit temps cold with a 15 mph wind. SO, it was a quick test.

Only used one powder and one bullet.

H335 and a Speer 87g sp. Again only @ 50 yards. More of a ladder starting with 26.3, then 26.5& 26.7, 27.0, 27.3, 27.5 and lastly 27.7 grs of powder.

27.5 was tightest next to 26.3. 27.7 and 27.3 was worst @ 2". Smallest group was about 1". All have been spherical with no flyers.

I also loaded 27g over a Remington small rifle match primer. No change in accuracy or consistancy.

My buddy wants to use this bullet. He is funny this way. Ill let the gun tell me, bullet powder and primer. He chooses powder and bullet and settles for best accuracy he gets.

Hope this weather breaks and we can try more powders and bullet combonations.

I did break down and buy a pound of Benchmark this week.

CW