Black bear

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

badguybuster
Silent But Deadly

Black bear

Post by badguybuster »

I'm kinda torn. I really wanna use my 300 to take a black bear this year. Keep in mind 200 pounds is normal here and shots are almost always inside 100 yards. I could use the 308 but the blackout is more fun :-)

I've read tons of articles where folks are taking bear with there's so my quandry.

The 194 grain Lehigh Defense ME, which is devastating at short range, or the amazing Barnes 130 grain TTSX which is an excellent round that opens up more distance?
Dyin aint much of a livin' boy
tXr
Silent But Deadly

Re: Black bear

Post by tXr »

The 130gr TTSX barely starts to expand/open up, seriously hampered by the slow FPS of the 300BO, a much better choice would be the 120gr blacktip from Barnes.

A buddy shot a charging bear 7 out of 10 shots and the pissed off bear was still able to charge 75-80 yards to within 10 yards before dropping(an emaciated 180pound bruin). The Blackout can do the job within certain parameters, but if things go even slightly hinky you may have problems!
The only trustworthy Bolshevik is the Bolshevik taking a dirt nap
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

badguybuster wrote:I'm kinda torn. I really wanna use my 300 to take a black bear this year. Keep in mind 200 pounds is normal here and shots are almost always inside 100 yards. I could use the 308 but the blackout is more fun :-)

I've read tons of articles where folks are taking bear with there's so my quandry.

The 194 grain Lehigh Defense ME, which is devastating at short range, or the amazing Barnes 130 grain TTSX which is an excellent round that opens up more distance?
+1 to txr's info.

I wouldn't use the ME, it may start expansion way before hitting vitals. I would think the Lehigh Defense Controlled Chaos would be the only bullet I would use on a black bear due to the toughness of the animal and the danger factor (though I have never hunted one so take with a grain of salt).
Also the CC bullet was designed initially to drop animals like bears as fast as possible. Go check it out :)
badguybuster
Silent But Deadly

Post by badguybuster »

According to barnes itll expand down to 1600 fps. My test loads are at 2040 (+/-) so I should be ok velocity wise. As long as I keep it inside 100 yrds. I mean heck, I've killed 2 using as 30-30 with the 150 grain core lokt. And 1 with a bow.
badguybuster
Silent But Deadly

Post by badguybuster »

Alex Wilson
Silent But Deadly

Post by Alex Wilson »

I wouldn't take it man. Granted there's a difference in size, but I just got back from black bear hunting in Canada. I took a 325lb bear straight on from 50yds. There's no way a blackout makes that shot. You want to put a bear down immediately. I just can't see a blackout doing that effectively without a perfect shot.

On another note, I also heard a boar attack a baby moose. That roar and power make you realize you aren't the king of that jungle. They were about 100yds from me running through the woods and creek. I was little on edge in my ground blind after that. (The boar didn't get the moose)
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I hate bears.

They're so over-populated here it's pathetic. I have photos on my trail camera of no less than 15 different ones.

On top of that, the state protects them so badly that you'd probably get less time in jail for killing some one that you would for killing a bear, even if it's damaging your property or threatening you directly. If you shoot one in self defense, you better chew on your own arm before the law gets there to show them proof that you were defending yourself. A bear just charging you isn't enough to warrant firing upon them as "that is in the normal activities of a bear".

They can even fine you if a bear gets in your garbage. They call it unintentional feeding of the bears.

The one thing about Kentucky I really hate is their peta loving BS in the state capital. I bet if they had to carry a pistol so their kids could play outside in their own yard that it would be different.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
badguybuster
Silent But Deadly

Post by badguybuster »

Ya. Prolly just gonna take the AR10.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

^ much better choice!
the 300 BLK is one of my favorite cartridges but it would not be my choice for bear hunting. I'll stick to the '06! I have killed hogs with the BLK that were as big as some of the black bears I have killed but a wounded hog isn't going to come up the ladder after me! a bear's rib bones are a lot thicker than a hogs too.
peace through superior firepower
Robracer99

Post by Robracer99 »

Thanks for posting this, I have just pulled a bear tag in Colorado and I have been thinking the same thing.

I read the article above and a few others which is why I am considering it.

Has anyone on this forum taken a black bear with a 300 blackout?

I am thinking to try it but only when I'm hunting with my friend and his .30-06, he also has a tag.

*In order to make the requirements to hunt big game in Colorado, 1,000 ft/lbs of energy at 100 yrds, I plan to use 110gr black tip with 19gr H-110. I am getting good results with this load.