Raccoon

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

70worm

Re: Raccoon

Post by 70worm »

When I say overkill I mean if another guy wanted to skin it for the fur, would the subsonic round at 30 to 50 yards destory it?
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Not if you were using a non expander like an A-max or a SMK. A Maker or a Lehigh would rip the snot out of it.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

100gr xtp subsonic 16 inch model 7 and he was pretty dead when I picked him up. pelt was in good shape. but I did not have anyone who wanted him.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Post by certifiable »

No coons as of yet but that may just change soon, makes a mess of skunks though
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

havent done any subsonic work on them yet, but the 125 SST does a nice job on them

you could pretty much dropped a quarter in the exit wound and got nothing but net. :mrgreen: 8)

Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

A number of years ago I believe I shot one with a 130gr Barnes TTSX out of my 300BLK. Left a considerable exit wound. I was up in a tree stand and shot down into it as it approached my coyote wiggling rabbit decoy.

For safety I woudln't be shooting up in the air towards any neighbors or highways. I would recommend you shoot downwards at them from an elevated position. Also I would think the light subs would be good for this though I have never shot a light sub round. Haven't had a use for one... yet :)
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

Living in the south and knowing what I'm talking about, there is also a deader than 4 o'clock classification.

And dont' forget Jerry Clowers' "Graveyard dead"
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

John A. wrote:Living in the south and knowing what I'm talking about, there is also a deader than 4 o'clock classification.

And don't' forget Jerry Clowers' "Graveyard dead"
Those are different classifications of dead John, not degrees. Remember southerner here as well. Dead just be dead. If I want to describe the dead I'd say - "That's deader than hell." and "Killed it deader than sh$t." or "He's plumb dead." :lol:
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I'm grateful to be born and raised in the southern Appalachians. Only in the south do you have words with multiple meanings. I'm sure you'll probably know these, but I'll put a few definitions up for everyone else.

Poke.

1. Goose someone in the ribs while they're not expecting it

2. A brown paper bag.

3. A plant that grows in the backyard that you fry up and goes good with cornbread

Then you also have a word like hain't.

1. Abbreviated word for haven't.

2. A ghost

Directly

1. In a straight path

2. Afterwhile

Holler

1. Yell

2. Valley between 2 large mountainous peaks

Jaw

1. The lower part of your skull

2. Talkin'

Mess

1. Disorderly

2. A serving of food

Touched

1. The act of touching something

2. Crazy as all get out
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jim Timber »

.22lr in the lungs does the job, but they'll cover some ground before dying.

I've played with some 90gr cast RN (30 carbine pills) in 300blk using pistol powders, but there's no benefit for me over a regular 9mm at that point.

If you care about the pelt, just stick with .22. Even reloading you can't get close to the cost effectiveness of the .22.
https://squareup.com/market/SimpleThreadedDevices
https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices