Optic for deer hunting at 100 yards?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Bgd
Senior Silent Operator

Optic for deer hunting at 100 yards?

Post by Bgd »

My kids and I are going to build a couple of 300 blackout rifles for Christmas. They will be used for target shooting and deer hunting at 100 yards and less. Maybe an occasional 150 yard shot but it would be rare if ever. We will be shooting supersonic loads mainly. Subsonic just to see the difference but not a habit. We will be shooting factory rounds and then reloading the brass.

What would be a good optic for this? I have been thinking something like a 1x4 but then for target shooting I like a bit more mag. 90 percent of my hunting shots have been at 4 or less. What do you think?

thanks
NRA life member.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: Optic for deer hunting at 100 yards?

Post by rebel »

The best 3x9 you can comfortably afford.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
KTMRacer
Silent But Deadly

Post by KTMRacer »

X2 to Reblels post.
Just bought Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40 with the BDC reticle shipped to my door for $99. It came from some eBay store.
It's on a RARR but would be perfect for you and he kids. Put the Spot On software on your phone and use the BDC reticle out to whatever fits the load you shoot.

If I had known about the blackout when my son first started hunting (took his first at 6yo) an AR with that same scope type set up would be what he started with. Couple that with the 6 position stock and you have the perfect youth gun. Easily manageable recoil and a stock that fits under their arm.
Than when they kinda out grow it, Dad still has a great AR. :mrgreen:
Two-Dogs
Silent Operator

Post by Two-Dogs »

I picked up a Strike Eagle, 1-6, and I'm pretty happy with it. Most of my shots have been well under 100, sometimes well under, but I think 6 is plenty for as far as I'm likely to shool with a Blackout. I looked hard at a couple of 2-7 scopes and I think I would have been ok with one of those too-next build AR-10 will prolly wind up with one.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

I'm with rebel on the 3X9. It's just a good all around magnification range.

I really like my VXR Patrol with illuminated dot. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/325418 ... icle-matte
Bgd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Bgd »

How does the strike eagle work for dusk and dawn shooting. I have always hesitated with the 24 mm objective scopes. They look cool. I may need to get one just to try.

I haven't heard about the spot on software I need to look at that. I agree about the perfect youth gun. I even bought a couple f limbsaver recoil pads for them. Shooting a bunch from the bench can get to be a bit much for an 8 year old and I plan on wearing these barrels out. :) should be fun.

I wish that leopold was just al little less. It looks like a fine optic.
NRA life member.
KTMRacer
Silent But Deadly

Post by KTMRacer »

I have a 1.5x4x32 on my AR .223 Wylde (I think it's 32mm as it has a 30mm tube and the end is slightly flared). It's fine under regular skies. However, several years ago it cost my son kills on a coyote and a nice boar within a few minutes of each other one dusky evening. Luckily Dad was there and found em both in the low light. The yote bit the dust hard at about 80 yards. The boar took a 55 Hollow point just behind the ear at less than 50 yds.
This is the boar that got me to build my first Blackout as it nearly ate me up as I approached it to drag it off the field. It took 4 more shots to the face at point blank range (from the hip as I was seriously back pedaling). It spun around and ran off.

Anywho, it gathers little to no light. I can run the Nikon and leave on 6x and use a good pair of binocs and handle all light until it's not legal to do so.
Two-Dogs
Silent Operator

Post by Two-Dogs »

So far the small objective is not a problem, but my experience is limited with it. I read an article a few years ago that put some serious doubts in my head about "Bigger is Better", there was a bunch of physics involved that made my brain hurt enough that I don't recall the details. For me that's saying something because usually once I "get" something it sticks. The jist was that the exit pupil size at a given magnification was a bigger factor than just the objective lense's size. I was running a Leupold 4.5-14x50 in a one inch tube back then on a .308 thinking that big glass was going to do magic.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

3-9 or 4-12

something in the 40-44mm range.

spend on the best glass your budget will allow within those specs.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Jethro99
Silent Operator

Post by Jethro99 »

I put a Nikon Pro-staff 3-9x40 BDC, on my son's 16" BLK, killed 4 deer in 2 years. All his shots under 125 yards, all one shot kills :shock: not bad for a kid who just turned 12. I'm looking at a 2-7x32 Pro-staff for my 10.5" SBR right now. I put a 3-9x40 on it, but it just doesn't look right to me when the can is off it. $ for $ I think the Nikon Pro-staffs are hard to beat.
The crime is not shooting poorly, the crime is not learning to shoot better.