Max Effective Range of Common 300 BLK Projectiles

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

idaho.jon
Silent But Deadly

Re: Max Effective Range of Common 300 BLK Projectiles

Post by idaho.jon »

Thanks for the compiled list of info! Very helpful indeed.

On the Lehigh 108 CF, is the term threshold supposed to be 800 or 1800?
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

idaho.jon wrote:On the Lehigh 108 CF, is the term threshold supposed to be 800 or 1800?
I'll check with Lehigh on that.
It is my understanding that this projectile was a way to extend the range of the CC design.
With a similar CF design as the 174 CF, the projectile can still have good terminal performance at a much lower velocity than the 110 CC.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
stengun
Senior Silent Operator

Post by stengun »

Howdy,

Thanks for the post!

At the same time, as person who hunts with a 300 Blk I'm not too sure about some of the distances listed.

Sure the bullet, under ideal conditions, might expand at the velocity that it's traveling at 350 yards but does it have enough energy left to adequately penetrate a deer to produce a humane kill at that distance?

Back in November I killed a medium sized 8-point buck with a .300Blk using a Speer 125gr TNT bullet at roughly 2,100ff/sec. It was a 75 yard broadside shot behind the shoulder in the ribs with the bullet exiting the far side. The deer ran about 30ish yards and died.

I've kille larger deer at 100yds with a similar broadside shot using a .50cal muzzleloader w/ a 250gr Aerotip bullet at 2,000ft/sec and the deer only travelled 3 feet and it was straight down.

I just cannot imagine shooting a deer at over 200yds with a .300Blk no matter which bullet/load you were using unless it was strictly a head shot.

Just my $.02.

Paul
I'm so Liberal that I work at the Bill & Hillary National Airport!!!
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

Paul,

Thanks for your comment.
Terminal ballistics are indeed relative to application.
That being said, comparing a 125 grain 30 caliber projectile to a 250 grain 50 caliber projectile is like comparing apples to watermelons...

The purpose of this thread is to provide a listing of ranges that a projectile is able to actuate its designed terminal mechanism.
There is never a substitute for shot placement and many will have stories of various effects on game with a given projectile.
Hell, I've personally seen 175 SMKs perform "Dead Right There" kills at over 300 yards.
That doesn't mean that it is an optimal choice for a projectile.

Each individual shooter is responsible for selecting the proper tool for the job and to know the capabilities of said tool.
Hopefully this thread helps folks make informed decisions.
Just because a bullet has a max effective range inside of a given window, does not indicate that the user should take a shot at that distance.
Hell, the subsonic Lehigh Defense rounds will actuate at a range of 1,000 yards, but I would never recommend using a 300 BLK sub on game at that distance.
--Mark Twain
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

There's a big difference in the max effective range of the bullet and the max effective range of the shooter, and generally one is more honest about it than the other.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

dellet wrote:There's a big difference in the max effective range of the bullet and the max effective range of the shooter, and generally one is more honest about it than the other.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

dellet wrote:There's a big difference in the max effective range of the bullet and the max effective range of the shooter, and generally one is more honest about it than the other.
Truth. I automatically subtract at least 30% of claimed distances shot, and add 50% to the distance of the claimed travel before expiring. The longer the distance claimed shot,the more percentage I subtract. That includes my own claims.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
pdoshier

Post by pdoshier »

Ok, I have to ask if anyone has ever shot over a chrony at distance. Say put it out at 100 or 200 yds in front of the target and actually check. Not just using tables from books. Of course I guess maybe they did that to create the chart.

I'd like to try that sometime but I'd put some steel in front of my chrony first. And even then, I don't know if I'd really trust myself.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

i only have a magnetospeed - and my barrel just isnt that long. sorry cant help you.

i'll trust the math wiz's and their data backed up by the LabRadar units
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

pdoshier wrote:Ok, I have to ask if anyone has ever shot over a chrony at distance. Say put it out at 100 or 200 yds in front of the target and actually check. Not just using tables from books. Of course I guess maybe they did that to create the chart.

I'd like to try that sometime but I'd put some steel in front of my chrony first. And even then, I don't know if I'd really trust myself.
Yes, I have done so in the past to validate data.
I have found that it is not necessary in most cases.
Math is you friend and as long as accurate numbers are put out by the manufacture and you accurately capture your muzzle velocity, ballistic tables are spot on.
--Mark Twain