Max Effective Range of Common 300 BLK Projectiles

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

stengun
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Max Effective Range of Common 300 BLK Projectiles

Post by stengun »

Howdy,
Dr.Phil wrote: I'd like to try that sometime but I'd put some steel in front of my chrony first. And even then, I don't know if I'd really trust myself.
Yes, I have done so in the past to validate data.
I have found that it is not necessary in most cases.
Math is you friend and as long as accurate numbers are put out by the manufacture and you accurately capture your muzzle velocity, ballistic tables are spot on.[/quote]

I've shot over a chrony before at 200 yards with a sighted in rifle and yes if the OEM specs are right the ballistic tables will match pretty close.

One of the main bullets I load in .223 is the Prvi Partizan 75gr BTHP-M bullet and PPU "claims" it has a BC of .404 but if you look at the ballistic table for their factory ammo using the same bullet and do the backwards math you end up with a BC of .350.

I noticed that during long range shooting the bullet was dropping more than it should have when using their published BC. Did a little backwards math and now the bullets hits were it should based on a BC of .350.

Same thing hold true for their 62gr FMJ-BT bullet. They "claim" a BC of .361 when in fact it's .280. BIG difference. After plugging the correct number it too land where it should.

Paul
I'm so Liberal that I work at the Bill & Hillary National Airport!!!
makerbullets

Post by makerbullets »

Hello. I just wanted to introduce myself. I joined today at the urging of dellet. My name is Paul Hendrixson and I am the owner of Maker Bullets. We produce solid copper match, expanding and fracturing projectiles. While you likely don't know our name, our bullets are used in a number of oem loaded rounds. Last year we decided to open up our rounds for reloaders as well. We produce over 360 different projectiles. We produce subs and supers for everything from 29gr 4.6x30 to 750gr 50bmg subsonic. We have rounds for shotguns, pistols, rifles and muzzle loaders. My first rounds were for 300 blk and that is where we have done the most development. I have based my business on the customer is always right model. If you have an issue or application and are willing to work with us, we are willing to find a solution. While we likely cannot please everyone, we would like the opportunity. I would like to submit some data and photos to add to Dr Phils compilation. We have shot most of the projectiles on the market and would be glad to provide anyone with objective data for any comparisons. We test in ballistics gel everyday and can provide examples at various velocities to confirm terminal ballistics. If I can be of any assistance, please let me know.
Paul
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

makerbullets wrote:Hello. I just wanted to introduce myself. I joined today at the urging of dellet. My name is Paul Hendrixson and I am the owner of Maker Bullets. We produce solid copper match, expanding and fracturing projectiles. While you likely don't know our name, our bullets are used in a number of oem loaded rounds. Last year we decided to open up our rounds for reloaders as well. We produce over 360 different projectiles. We produce subs and supers for everything from 29gr 4.6x30 to 750gr 50bmg subsonic. We have rounds for shotguns, pistols, rifles and muzzle loaders. My first rounds were for 300 blk and that is where we have done the most development. I have based my business on the customer is always right model. If you have an issue or application and are willing to work with us, we are willing to find a solution. While we likely cannot please everyone, we would like the opportunity. I would like to submit some data and photos to add to Dr Phils compilation. We have shot most of the projectiles on the market and would be glad to provide anyone with objective data for any comparisons. We test in ballistics gel everyday and can provide examples at various velocities to confirm terminal ballistics. If I can be of any assistance, please let me know.
Paul
Here's expansion results of one of his bullets. Hopefully Paul will get it together to post some of his others. ones he's shared with me have been pretty impressive.

This is the same bullet were are talking about in another thread and it's looking more and more like what looked like a stability issue is not what I thought it might be. but here's the thread so there's no confusion.
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=97863
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Jay66

Post by Jay66 »

I see the disclaimer on the Lehigh website that they don't recommend using their bullets in Rem rifles. Anybody tried them in theirs? I have a Rem SPS Tac that is stamped 1:7. I've run 110-220grn factory loads through it and they all hold MOA or SubMOA except 147 FMJ's. Are the Lehighs that much different that they won't perform well out of my rifle? Love this round, especially suppressed, so far a deer, a hog and a horse(don't ask) all DRT.
Thanks
Jay
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Jay66 wrote:I see the disclaimer on the Lehigh website that they don't recommend using their bullets in Rem rifles. Anybody tried them in theirs? I have a Rem SPS Tac that is stamped 1:7. I've run 110-220grn factory loads through it and they all hold MOA or SubMOA except 147 FMJ's. Are the Lehighs that much different that they won't perform well out of my rifle? Love this round, especially suppressed, so far a deer, a hog and a horse(don't ask) all DRT.
Thanks
Jay
From Lehigh defense:
Not recommended for use in factory Remington 700 rifles chambered in 300 Blk.

Not recommended for use in factory Remington 700 rifles chambered in 300 Blackout due to a number of factory guns sold with barrels marked as 1:7 twist that are actually 1:10 twist.
Verify your twist rate, if it is one that was shipped with the incorrect barrel, Reminton will replace the barrel.

Yes, the 194 is that much longer that it will be a problem if it is a 1/10 twist.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Jay66

Post by Jay66 »

Thanks for the reply. I'd hate to change the barrel since it shoots well already. It would seem it would have to have the 1:7 since it already handles such a wide variety of bullets and is able to stabilize them all. Maybe it's more to do with the bearing surface than I give it credit for.
slickyboyboo79
Silent But Deadly

Post by slickyboyboo79 »

Dr.Phil wrote:There has been quite a bit of discussion regarding the choice of hunting bullet for use in 300 BLK.
I thought that I would take a couple minutes and compile a rough list of common 300 BLK hunting projectiles and provide some insight.
Here is the list in alphabetic order, with thier G1 BC, rought MV, Terminal Threshold Velocity, and max range for terminal effect:

Sierra 135 HP
BC = .308
mV = 2,000fps
Term Threshold = 1,600fps
MAX = 200yds
https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/pro ... -135-gr-HP
Dr. Phil

Actual threshold on the Sierra Varminter, according to Sierra, is 1400 fps. I am running them out of my 16" bbl at 2130 fps average. That gives me a max range of approximately 330 yds.

At 2100 fps, that still gets you to 320 yds.
At 2000 fps, it gets you to ~280 yds.
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

So basically, the Barnes 110 and 120 bullets are the best as far as max range. Between these two, less than 10% mass, probably isn't going to translate to much either way. Less drop or more drift for the 110 and better performance for the 120. Just my guess. Field experience trumps a guess.

Anyone know why they made them so close in weight? It seems like a heavy for BLK like a 130 or light like a 90 would produce more of a difference. Why not load up those 130 TSX as they only lose 50 yards max distance. A tipped 130 like the 110 ogive would probably be too long. I just don't know why they would make 110 and 120. Kinda like Hornady making 120 and 123 bullets in 6.5 caliber. Really?! Pick one and due to production issues, you could pick the wrong one for being priority and dumped or delayed.

Anyone have info on the Remington 130 hog hammer? Is that the same 130 tsx listed? Can't tell from the pic if that's a specific BLK ogive or the regular one.
SSGA

Post by SSGA »

Thank You for posting this.

Been a topic of discussion for some time as to what bullets work in what situations.....

Cheers
Sometimes being quiet is the loudest statement
pruhdlr
Silent But Deadly

Post by pruhdlr »

As much as I know,the 130's used in the Hog Hammer have never been released for the reloader. The 130 TSX are different. --- pruhdlr
Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
STONER 63A / XM177E2