Sub Sonic Hunting Bullet

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

John A.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Sub Sonic Hunting Bullet

Post by John A. »

jcomar1 wrote:While I don't encourage hunting with subsonics, my dad shot a pretty big 160lb 6pt buck last week with a subsonic 208g AMAX that I had loaded up. He shot it right through the shoulders at about 60yards. It managed to run about 40yds or so but it died very quickly. It was a complete pass through and the exit hole was rather large.

It went through both shoulders and exited and we could not find the bullet. Lots of interior bleeding. Not sure if he just got lucky or what but it did as well or better as any supersonic hunting bullets I've used in a 308. I'm still skeptical but the results were impressive.
^ Or may have been tumbling
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

John A. wrote:
jcomar1 wrote:While I don't encourage hunting with subsonics, my dad shot a pretty big 160lb 6pt buck last week with a subsonic 208g AMAX that I had loaded up. He shot it right through the shoulders at about 60yards. It managed to run about 40yds or so but it died very quickly. It was a complete pass through and the exit hole was rather large.

It went through both shoulders and exited and we could not find the bullet. Lots of interior bleeding. Not sure if he just got lucky or what but it did as well or better as any supersonic hunting bullets I've used in a 308. I'm still skeptical but the results were impressive.
^ Or may have been tumbling
I would say its a solid bet...

I have a friend with a crop damage permit. (He shoots ALLOT of deer) He shoots MANY with a 300 whisper suing 200g Sierra bullets subsonic. He sees results exactly as described almost every time. He shoots calm deer at close ranges he shoots them thru the lungs, but JUST behind the leg bone/shoulders. Exits are near a half dollar...because that bullet is tumbling.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Post by Guest762 »

Have you tried a fmj ?
Jay66

Post by Jay66 »

Another one to consider is G2 Research 200gr subsonic. I shot a small doe, broadside, just behind the shoulder, at about 50yrds. It looks like the bullet started coming apart as soon as it hit the first rib. Multiple wounds on the far side ribcage with some pieces passing through. Plenty of internal damage. She ran about 20yrds and died. Granted I've also shot hogs with the 208 gr Amax, but that was side to, behind the ear, DRT.
Rich Coyle
Silent Operator

Post by Rich Coyle »

Since I didn't read through your thread, I may duplicate the information. Outlaw State Bullets makes several. I purchased his less expensive ones. They are 220 grain flat base.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

my guess would be that it probably tumbled, not expanded. still give you a helluva wound channel though, but i wouldnt rely on that being a consistent result.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

plant.one wrote:my guess would be that it probably tumbled, not expanded. still give you a helluva wound channel though, but i wouldnt rely on that being a consistent result.
Agreed not my first choice. Nice side benefit but not to be relied upon.

Ill take a reliable expanding bullet ten times outta nine. 8) 8)

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
Jay66

Post by Jay66 »

G2 Research follow up.
Went out last night and had a hog come in after dark. Shot looked/felt good, side of the head about 50yrds. Heard the bullet hit, hog fell over thrashing. Hog kept thrashing and after about a minute it started staggering away. All the time it was behind some bushes, tall grass and I couldn't see it. It stumbled back into the swamp and over to the other side. I got out of the climber and looked for an hour. No blood, nothing. It had rained earlier so that didn't help. I'm going back to the 208 Amax for night hunting. I hate loosing meat.
Jay
tikkablk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by tikkablk »

cwlongshot wrote:
plant.one wrote:my guess would be that it probably tumbled, not expanded. still give you a helluva wound channel though, but i wouldnt rely on that being a consistent result.
Agreed not my first choice. Nice side benefit but not to be relied upon.

Ill take a reliable expanding bullet ten times outta nine. 8) 8)

CW

+1 for reliable expanding bullets especially on body shots, I've had deer bleed out like they were hit with a 2" broadhead and walking off no more than 5m-10m before running out of oil pressure using Lehigh 194gr ME.

I also use the 208gr Amax for culling goats ( 60lb average weight) and can't guarantee them to tumble as they pencil through 40% of the time running off maybe 60m-100m max and sometimes needing a finishing off shot to the head/neck, but we don't need to recover them if they rest up in a hard to access area eg off a cliff or a rocky gully gut.

My personal experience I wouldn't recommend a non expanding bullet for deer or pig hunting when you are relying on taking meat home and with minimal tracking.
TrueAt1stLight

Post by TrueAt1stLight »

Tag. Great information, Everyone!
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.