147 gr m80 ball ammo
5%

Total votes: 37

A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Hog hunting bullet

Post by A-Game »

Hi guys,
I'm going to attempt my first hog hunt. No license required in Arizona.
There are a few different areas that they have been reported that I'm going to hunt over the next several months. I'll only have three days each hunt. Money is tight so I don't want to waste expensive ammo on hogs if something cheaper will do the job well.

I have a few different kinds of ammo I could use in 300 Blk.

1. Barnes 110 GR Tac-TX
This is the loaded ammunition 2350 FPS MV
This will be my deer load in the fall.

I will be carrying a 30 round pmag loaded with this ammo anyway because the areas have predators bear, mountain lion, javelina, ect.

2. Speer TNT 125 GR
18.4 GR H110 cci 450 2278 FPS MV

I have 365 rounds of this loaded to use for Hog, Deer, or target. I also have lots of components to make more of this round. So I'm not worried about cost per shot.

3. 125 gr Sierra Pro Hunter (Soft Point)
20.0 GR H110 cci 450
I have a few hundred of these and since they probably won't expand they can be plinking ammo.

4. 147 m80 pull ball ammo
1963 FPS
This is target plinking stuff. No-name manufacturer I still have 700 rounds of this.

My rifle is AAC MPW 16"
Scope is Primary Arms 4-14x FFP scope on Bobro 20 MOA QD mount( Already scope from 7.62x54R Sporter build)
JP Silent Spring
Magpul Pro BUIS
I also have a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot I could run
Flash light is a NR 600 Lumen Road Bike Light (Rebel would be proud) "custom 550 paracord mount" at 45 degrees on rail
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hog hunting bullet

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Because hogs are a pest in TX I voted the way I did.

First off I shoot hogs about an inch or 2 behind the ear so they drop on the spot. I don't like the idea of tracking a hog that is wounded and not dead and then spooking it in range for it to tear me to shreds.

I chose the 125gr SPH simply because it is cheap and will work for a headshot and I think that on hogs you may get some expansion since it is a thicker skinned hearty animal with its armor plate over the vitals. I would think the SPH would be much more likely to expand on a hog plus should still give you pass through for better tracking on a vital shot. Again I recommend a headshot.

Second choice was the FMJ. Again head shot, bullet is not so crucial. Also in TX they are not classified as game animals they are pests and there is no restriction on using FMJ or ball ammo on pests. Finally, if you fill one full of holes and it runs off its eradication of a pest, no different than a rat. If it drops in front of you, it is meat harvesting. With this line of thinking bullet choice doesn't matter much.

Now beware, I believe that some states do not allow use of FMJ or ball ammo for any kind of hunting period so know your laws. Also if you are treating the animal like a game animal then use the proper bullet for the job. Here in TX they are basically super destructive rats so you see my motivation and thought process :)
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

the Sierra 125 gr. Pro Hunter bullets act like FMJ at Black Out velocities. on your list , I think the TNTs would be fine. I loaded a bunch of them with 18.3 gr. of H-110. I used them for plinking but I think they would work good on hogs. I never got a chance to try them out. my favorite hunting bullet is the 125 gr. SST.
peace through superior firepower
AR300BLK

Post by AR300BLK »

Out here in Central Cali we can no longer use lead. I use to load 125 TNT's, now we've all moved to the 110 Tac-tx. Does a fine job on hogs!
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

I'm hunting for game. I'd like to BBQ some pork ribs when I get home :mrgreen:
I'm going Saturday morning to confirm zero and get my dope for these different rounds so that I'll be good to go for the following weekend.

The funny thing is we have these Wild Pigs and then we have Javelina all over the state. Javelina belong to the rodent Family :lol: so they literally are the Rodents :lol: Unfortunately they are dangerous and they have mauled and killed people who have tried feeding them. They attack in groups.

Thankfully and unfortunately they aren't as bad as in Texas and the South. There is even a wildlife refuge in Havasu City on the Colorado River that won't allow the hunting of them. Which sucks because that is the largest concentration of them in the state.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
maxl

Post by maxl »

I voted 110 barnes, because its the only bullet you listed that was designed and built for your purpose in 300 blk. And I use them in in the south with great success.
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

I'm really really curious how the 125 GR TNT is going to do because my ballistic calculator with my load has it over 1400 ft lbs of energy. Not only that it showed that it holds a deal more of that energy (theoretically) at longer distance than the Barnes bullet does.

Considering Remington HogHammer using the Barnes components expands to .50 and has better penetration I'd like to experiment with that.

I didn't have time to do it this morning early but I'm going to do some 1 gallon water jug tests to see which bullet penetrates further. Not very scientific as far as relating to tissue and bone but will show what the projectile could look like.

I will bring my camera and record it and share my results if anyone is interested.
badguybuster
Silent But Deadly

Post by badguybuster »

Yer neglecting an excellent bullet. The SSTs. I use the 125 and 150 for most of my hunting work. They have never failed me and they are fairly cost effective. 16.5 grains of Lil Gun and they do their business with aplumb.
Dyin aint much of a livin' boy
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

This is a 125gr tnt going 2084 out of 10.5" barrel. The round was shot into water and some soft Kevlar was the back stop at 100 yards. I was amazed at 100yards it still expanded like it did. At 50yards it was even better.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

I'm not neglecting the sst. This is just what I have and I'm not going to go buy the sst and work up a load in less than a week. The TNT is the cheapest bullet you can buy in 500 bulk pack. It is flat base so you can really max out the powder load, match bullet, and very very consistently accurate.

I have 125gr nosler green tip but I don't have them chronographed and I only have 50 or so.

I have over 300 of each of the rounds I listed.

I have some Barnes 110 chronographed at 2500 fps with no signs of high pressure and I'm not wasting those on hogs until I get get my hands on more projectiles.

I have method to my madness :mrgreen: