300 Blackout at 100 yards

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

irishtexan

300 Blackout at 100 yards

Post by irishtexan »

Will the 300 Blackout kill pigs with the Lee 230 grain lead bullet using a suppressor at 100 yards, reason im asking our pigs are getting hard to get close to.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 Blackout at 100 yards

Post by rebel »

If you got the dope, and can put the bullet where it needs to be, yeah it will kill them. Think, pfft.............WHACK,squeal. If you can get closer, it would be better, but I would say that if you were using a supersonic. Penetration is the key with the big heavies. You won't have expansion, you will have yaw and tumbling. Practice cause that is gonna be a rainbow trajectory.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
STINKEY
Silent Operator

Post by STINKEY »

The guys at "Fighting Sheep Dog" tout a 280 gr. cast bullet kill thru both shoulders at 110 yds subsonic. :shock:
They are on FB and ask for your self.

john
If they say it can't be done.... I have or at least thought about it....... 8)
steve franklin
Silent But Deadly

Post by steve franklin »

Here's an easy to use calculator.

http://www.realguns.com/calc/exteriorballistics

Notice the minimal drop in speed and energy.
rangeaddict

Post by rangeaddict »

That is the coolest calculator EVER!!
STINKEY
Silent Operator

Post by STINKEY »

Forgot how to post pic's.
I get sub MOA with super sonic 110gr Bullets. Nostler seem to group the best.

Hornady 225 ELD Match I got 1 MOA at 100 yds Silenced and sub sonic.
Took a while to get the powder charge right to hold a consistent speed.

The Speer 220 RN held to a 1 1/2 - 2 1/4" group at 100 yds. subsonic. Most of my accuracy was after a lot of shooting and I forgot about the 'Heat Rise Distortion' and a cheap scope. Shoot better when more time is taken between shots as the Can will stay hot for a while. :mrgreen:
If they say it can't be done.... I have or at least thought about it....... 8)
Jay66

Post by Jay66 »

The hardest part of night shooting is accurate range estimation, at least for me. Another factor is whether you care about recovering the animal or not. I went out last night to help a farmer with deer/pigs. No pigs sighted but I shot two deer. One at about 75yrds and the other closer to 100 yrds. Because of the distance I held high shoulder instead of a head/neck shot. I was shooting 208grn Amax suppressed. Easy to hear the impact and see them jump but both ran into the woods and no blood. For eradication that's fine and I'm sure they're dead but for recovery that sucks. Short story long, yes that bullet will kill hogs at 100yrds but you may not find them to confirm.
Also on an interesting side note. I'm using the ATN X-Site IR scope and just upgraded to the Streamlight 850 illuminator. On the shots I could actually see the base of the bullet reflecting back like a mini tracer round, pretty cool to shoot, see the bullet and hear the impact. Love suppressed shooting.
Jay
Boolit_Head
Silent But Deadly

Post by Boolit_Head »

That bullet might not be the best choice but the Blackout is in it's wheel house at that range.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

if you're looking to hunt - why not look at one of the expanding subsonic projectiles. i mean i get that they're not as cheap as the lee 230, but if you want effective kills, its worth paying a little more for bullets.

maybe look to maker, or outlawstate, or lehigh.

they all over heavy subsonic projo's that are stuitable hunting bullets.

and then just make sure you know your range. after that its the shooters job to do the rest :)
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

I agree with much of the above..

One question and one comment.

Why not shoot supersonic? Loads of real good super loads that will drop a pig easy at 100 yards.

I have same point as Plant, If your stick on subs, I suggest you choose a bullet designed to hunt. (Expand)

Yes, the LEE can do this and as Jay said as long as its eradication not recovery. The weight of the bullet will carry well, if its hard enough, it should easily penetrate into/thru the vitals. But at its only 30cal, its not as great a choice as a expanding bullet that will disrupt allot more tissue.

Here is a 115 Controlled chaos @ about 2300 from a 16" barrel, along side a 194 ME Lehigh defense bullet @ 1075 fps. BOTH these would be a better choice than your lee cast if recovery of the game was needed.

Here is a expanded 194g ME bullet at a muzzle of 1050 fps.

As Rebel & Jay said, best shoot that distance allot, and buy a good range finder and use it!

Good luck,
CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS