Trail Cameras?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ncbowhnter
Silent But Deadly

Trail Cameras?

Post by ncbowhnter »

I plan on getting back into the hunting scene this year and I've already picked up a few places to hunt.
Which brings me to my question......
I have a couple Covert 3.0 trail cams that have worked very well for me. I am in the market for a couple more and I'm looking for recommendations. I want something easy to use and set up that accepts a SD card. Not looking for anything super fancy, I would go with a couple more of the ones I already have if they still made them. I got them for $80 a piece years ago. Nothing fancy, just work well and reliable.
So to save me some headaches, what is a good trail cam that would be similar to these?
Seems trail cams have become like rifle scopes, tons to choose from.
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Re: Trail Cameras?

Post by jwb47 »

I doubt if I would be the best person to ask about this stuff I have a few different ones I have picked up on close out or sales and they have really been decent cams one is a moultree I believe is the name and it has been excellent on battery life i recently put fresh batteries in it and put it out beside my rabbit pens since something had been trying to get in the pens over a week it took 900 photos and the batteries still show 95% charge plus a bobcat showed up in the pics .
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Go to Amazon, Bass Pro, Cabela's, etc and look at the ratings of the units they have. Read what others say are the pros and cons. Make a choice from that.
Nic56
Silent But Deadly

Post by Nic56 »

I was going to buy one a few months back, but never got around to doing it. From reading all the reviews I could find, it was VERY hard to narrow down any one camera that I felt comfortable dropping the cash on. However, it seemed to me that Browning at the time was receiving most of the high marks. From reading the reviews, I get the impression that most trail cameras tend to be short lived. I guess mixing electronics and the elements is never a good thing.

Trailcampro.com has a bunch of reviews and models for sale. Some of their prices aren't bad and I think they warranty the cameras they sell for 2 years.

http://www.trailcampro.com/

I would also like to hear from those that have used trail cameras and how well they performed and lasted.
300BLK AR-15 with 10.5" Noveske barrel (1:7 pistol length gas)

300BLK 16" AAC Handi Rifle (1:7 twist)

300BLK 16" AR-15 with 16" PSA FN barrel upper (1:8 pistol length gas)
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

we have two different ones. both were price point around $125

the setup menu's are silly simple, i dont think you can find one these days that WONT take a SD card.

one is a moultrie no glow (maybe the 990i? dont recall the specific model)
the other is a Wildgame innovations 8mp.

in daylight the wildgame innovations will trigger at more than 75 yds - we have pictures of the neighbor's truck driving down the two track that separates our properties.

nighttime is good for both, but trigger distance is much closer

my porcupine

Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Here is a whole thread on the subject with good content.
viewtopic.php?t=93520

I personally only buy Bushnell Trophy Cams 8mpx. They are compact, simply just work, reliable, simple to use, and can easily go 8months on 8 AA batteries!!!!

I have watched my brother battle with multiple bargain game cams and all he had to show for it were no usable or retrievable pictures and dead batteries every 2 weeks or less. I think the Bushnell Game Cams can be had almost regularly for about $165 each, sometimes you can find em for $99 on a big sale.

In general I think you are good in the $150-$250 range. Below that amount you are taking some risk. Below $100 I believe you are taking considerable risk. Over $250 you will likely be jumping into the $400 camera market for serious game cam needs which you probably do not have the need for.

Its been a number of years since I've researched the game cam market but part of that reason is that I found the product that I can rely on and it does the trick for me every time :)

I hope this info helps, best of luck :)
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

tallburnedmidget wrote:Here is a whole thread on the subject with good content.
viewtopic.php?t=93520

I personally only buy Bushnell Trophy Cams 8mpx. They are compact, simply just work, reliable, simple to use, and can easily go 8months on 8 AA batteries!!!!

I have watched my brother battle with multiple bargain game cams and all he had to show for it were no usable or retrievable pictures and dead batteries every 2 weeks or less. I think the Bushnell Game Cams can be had almost regularly for about $165 each, sometimes you can find em for $99 on a big sale.

In general I think you are good in the $150-$250 range. Below that amount you are taking some risk. Below $100 I believe you are taking considerable risk. Over $250 you will likely be jumping into the $400 camera market for serious game cam needs which you probably do not have the need for.

Its been a number of years since I've researched the game cam market but part of that reason is that I found the product that I can rely on and it does the trick for me every time :)

I hope this info helps, best of luck :)
Same here. Moultrie can tounge kiss either end of a goat. Nothing but frustration with their cams- and I've had 10 of them. Bushnell model above just work. Period.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Trophy Cams -all I have, all I want. Plus 100
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
krank
Silent Operator

Post by krank »

One bit of advice I give is don't use a trail cam that has a visible flash. Get one with the infrared flash. Dead give away.
I got a decent one but it sucks c batteries like a pig so I added an external 12 v lawnmower battery.
I am way behind the times as I got that 5 years ago and so much has changed.
My buddy is a hired trapper and his trail cams email him pictures. He says if you steal his camera he receives a picture of you stealing the camera quickly and can respond..
Hunting ,fishing and trapping in Missouri
glocker17
Senior Silent Operator

Post by glocker17 »

$59 Tasco that Walmart sells works pretty well. Uses 4 AA's that have taken tons of photos and are still going strong, you can also get a longer warranty for a couple of bucks extra from WM.