Hunting load question

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

MACM

Hunting load question

Post by MACM »

Hey fellas,

I'm new to hunting with 300blk (new to the 300blk in general really) so I apologize if this is something that has been hashed out already. Anyway, I keep seeing where many of you are using the 110 or 125gr BT's or SST's for your hunting loads. Has anyone ever tried a 150gr SST with any success on whitetails? The reason I ask is because I have a .270 and a .308 for shots over 100 yards, but every now and then I end up hunting some thick, thick woods with a max shot of 100 yards and have had bullets from both calibers deflect off a small (pinky size) branch, enough to miss the shot completely. No blood, no deer. This has only happened on 2 occasions, but both times were opportunities for big deer.

So...part of my reasoning for building a 300blk was thinking I could come up with a load for a 150gr bullet moving fast enough to reliably expand, but slow enough to "punch through" small branches. Similar to a 30-30. Is this even possible or do I just have a pipe dream? Thanks is advance!
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hunting load question

Post by randyrucker »

My personal opinion is 150 gr class bullets are to heavy to give a MV that will result in any meaningful expansion. I would use 110 gr or 125 gr with the blk out for hunting.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

randyrucker wrote:My personal opinion is 150 gr class bullets are to heavy to give a MV that will result in any meaningful expansion. I would use 110 gr or 125 gr with the blk out for hunting.
+1 My biggest concern is bullet performance when hunting. Most 30 caliber bullets need more velocity than the 300 Blk produces. Bullet profile also comes into play so it feeds from the magazine.
monzahunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by monzahunter »

I hate to shatter anybody's dreams about bigger caliber bullets not being redirected by small branches, its a myth. Go watch Rated RRs video of him shooting a row of peeps with a 750 grain Amax, it only takes 1 or 2 to change trajectory :mrgreen: 110s to 125s will work very well for you
a skateboard, piece of toast, and two minutes of angle
www.jbsfirearms.com
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

MACM wrote:Hey fellas,

I'm new to hunting with 300blk (new to the 300blk in general really) so I apologize if this is something that has been hashed out already. Anyway, I keep seeing where many of you are using the 110 or 125gr BT's or SST's for your hunting loads. Has anyone ever tried a 150gr SST with any success on whitetails? The reason I ask is because I have a .270 and a .308 for shots over 100 yards, but every now and then I end up hunting some thick, thick woods with a max shot of 100 yards and have had bullets from both calibers deflect off a small (pinky size) branch, enough to miss the shot completely. No blood, no deer. This has only happened on 2 occasions, but both times were opportunities for big deer.

So...part of my reasoning for building a 300blk was thinking I could come up with a load for a 150gr bullet moving fast enough to reliably expand, but slow enough to "punch through" small branches. Similar to a 30-30. Is this even possible or do I just have a pipe dream? Thanks is advance!

Unless you are hunting between 25-50yds you are out of luck. I was able to get the 150gr Barnes MPG up to 2013fps (didn't try for faster) and at that speed it would hit the 1800fps mark right around 100yds. Almost all 30cal bullets have a minimum expansion speed of 1800fps. So at 100yds most of the bullets would be at the minimum threshold which is not a good place to be if hunting.

I have taken a deer at about 90yds with the 130gr Barnes TTSX and it did OK but the 110gr Barnes TTSX did much better according to exit wound sizes comparisons.

As others are suggesting the 110gr-125gr weights are the ticket. Your last option, which there is not a great deal of info on, is to try the 140gr Hornady FTX for the 30-30 (not the 308) to see if you can get that bullet to expand since it was built for 30-30 speeds and may have a lower min expansion threshold. You would have to do a bunch of homework/testing on it and the bullet is not so readily available like most of the 110gr - 125gr options are. I know this from heavily thinking about that experiment myself.

I hope this info helps :)
bjames
Silent Operator

Post by bjames »

as others have said, with the 150 grain sst you will need more velocity then the blackout will deliver.

if you are set on 150 grain bullet, I've been using the hornady SP, which hornady says you can get expansion down to 1500fps with full expansion at 1800fps.

I have shoot these at 2030fps, and have taken a hog at 50 yards with it, and i'm luckily where I hunt that all my shooting areas is not longer then a 100 yard shot, which is why I decided to try out the bullet. but I wouldn't use it if i was hunting with longer ranges.

so it is possible to use a 150 grain bullet depending on the bullet and range. but if you are new to 300blk, I would try out the 110gr or the 125sst or 130ttsx to begin with.
dark_nephi

Post by dark_nephi »

I did a ballistic test on the 150gr Remington accu-tip. I lined up 4 jugs of water(I got the jugs from work... They were these thick plastic jugs used for sodium thiosulfate). Bullet passed through 3 jugs and expanded pretty good. I think 150s will expand at 100 yards and probably even farther. There was a fellow out shooting next to me who used to work at Barnes bullets when I did the bullet capture and I showed him the expanded round and I asked "do you think this would expand farther out?" And he said "yes"

300 blackout: spike upper, 16" 1:8 twist AR stoner barrel, ar15 enhanced BCG, 2.98oz carbine buffer