Recovered Lehigh Defense 194 gr Max Expansion Subsonic; WOW!

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Wedgy

Recovered Lehigh Defense 194 gr Max Expansion Subsonic; WOW!

Post by Wedgy »

Round was 10.3 gr of H4198 Lehigh 194 grain Maximum Expansion 0.638bc at 1010fps out of the SPS 700(same round fires at 1130fps from the AR for some reason). Gun was just zeroed at 75 yards which is +1.7" at 50 and -3.9" at 100 yards, shot was at 80 yards uphill and broadside entering the left side low behind the shoulder and exiting(to the skin) mid height on the right shoulder. Wow. Deer ran 20 yards then rolled down the hill. I know why. So stoked to recover that bullet and it weighed in at 192.8 grains. The scale actually settled in at 192.9 gr after I took the photo. The ears that folded back like a banana are very tough, you would probably cut yourself if you tried to bend them forward. At $77 for 50 bullets they aren't for plinking but they seem to work for subsonic hunting and I am in a lead free hunting area.
For comparison to the pre-stressed or pre-fragmented bullets like the Lehigh here is a cut away of a Barnes 200 grain TSX that requires a much higher velocity to expand(these pencil thru at subsonic speeds.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: Recovered Lehigh Defense 194 gr Max Expansion Subsonic;

Post by rebel »

Geez, that shoulder looks trashed. Been there done that but not with a subsonic. If I do hunt with them that pic will remind me where to shoot!
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

You could make a key chain out of that thing.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Nice!

Just remember to avoid a shot into the shoulder blade. I always mention this as I found out the hard way with that bullet that it will begin expanding and will not penetrate the flat shoulder blade bone and make it into the vitals. Your shot placement was great in this case. Congrats!

I look forward to more pics :)
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

Great results!
Guns are tools designed for dirty work both competitive and defensive. If I meet someone with a well worn gun, I hope their barrel is pointed the same direction as mine if the lead starts flying...
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Nice shot and nice pics. Thanks for sharing. Although these are pricey, there times when it is money well spent. I think I need to order some.
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

Damn. Wow. Just wasn't expecting that. Thanks for spending my money!!! I've got 50 or so of the Outlaw State expanding subs. Next time I kill a pig, I need to do some meat testing on one or two of them to compare to the Lehigh.

As for a keychain, I bet it wouldn't take long to cut your leg pretty good.
BowhuntPAbucks
Silent Operator

Post by BowhuntPAbucks »

I just shot some factory loaded L.D. Max Expansion out of my H&R Handi with a Specwar 7.62 at the range to see how much they dropped. I was 2&1/2" high at 50 yards and 4&1/2" low at 100 yards. Can't wait to go sub hunting in PA. I will be hand loading these same bullets over some IMR 4189.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

BowhuntPAbucks wrote:I just shot some factory loaded L.D. Max Expansion out of my H&R Handi with a Specwar 7.62 at the range to see how much they dropped. I was 2&1/2" high at 50 yards and 4&1/2" low at 100 yards. Can't wait to go sub hunting in PA. I will be hand loading these same bullets over some IMR 4189.
Be sure to read ALL of the subsonic hunting primer thread viewtopic.php?f=145&t=87186

Especially the last link in the 3rd post ;)

Subsonic hunting is a whole different ball game. It is not like regular rifle hunting with regular supersonic bullets. It is a whole new hunting challenge so do as much reading as you can to get some good knowledge and then a lot off shooting to get the experience.

Best of luck on it and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)
firedavis
Silent But Deadly

Post by firedavis »

I have subs loaded up for hogs during deer season. That way when they come in I can shoot one and they run off without spooking the deer. Now I ordered a box of these to try. I think I am more excited to shoot a hog with one of these then I am to shoot a deer with a supersonic.