Ammo for Large Deer

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

1AR2RuleThemAll

Ammo for Large Deer

Post by 1AR2RuleThemAll »

This is only my second topic on this forum, so feel free to point me to earlier posts if appropriate.

I just ordered an AR in 300BLK, primarily for HD, but I am wondering what my best ammo options are for hunting large-bodied deer. Several years ago I took a buck with estimated live body weight of 322 lbs, and I've seen his big brother but not yet had a shot at him. Since I was hunting from a stand in an open area where I could have shots over a half-mile in range (not that I would try that on a live animal), I was hunting with my 7mm Rem mag. However, I also hunt in the woods, generally well under 100 yards, and usually with my Marlin .35 Rem. I would like to be able to use the 300BLK as an alternative to the Marlin, but if it can stretch out to take deer reliably at farther distances (more than 150 yards), I would like to have long-range effective ammo, since one woods stand also has shooting lanes out into the fields. So, I would appreciate your suggestions and insights into hunting ammo performance. Thanks.
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ammo for Large Deer

Post by randyrucker »

Best choice is Barnes 110 gr Black Tips. Or the Barnes 120 gr Black Tips(if they really exist). After that I would move on the the 125 gr variety: SST, Ballistic Tip, or Accubond.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Whatever good hunting bullet that expands at BLK speed that your rifle shoots well.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
kelly mt

Post by kelly mt »

I load Nosler 125 gr. ballistic tip. I hunt heavy timber where 100 yards is a long shot. Load them near the max, and they are very accurate. Unlike Barns, you can actually find and afford them. PK
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

people are so narrow minded when it comes to this. think heavy and slow. :mrgreen:

i kid, i kid. :lol:

the bullets already mentioned are what you are looking for. there are others out there. Like rebel said, whatever you can find that sill shoot well out of your rifle and perform the way you need it to.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
1AR2RuleThemAll

rebel wrote:Whatever good hunting bullet that expands at BLK speed that your rifle shoots well.
That's a given. However, I am looking for suggestions of which ammo to start looking at since I am new to this caliber. I am enjoying having a new caliber to explore, but I am also old enough to know it's wise to ask for advice and then filter through it. I intend to start with factory ammo but may transition to handloading if I'm not quite satisfied with that.
1AR2RuleThemAll

I'm curious about how the Remington Hog Hammer would work on large deer. Anybody here have any experience with that load on deer. It might just blow through smaller deer.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

I'm fond of an all copper bullet for various reasons. If you are shooting a 300lbs animal and want to ensure more penetration while still having the expansion, a copper bullet should be great for that scenario.

This leaves you with the Barnes 110gr Blacktip (you can find loaded but not the bullet component only right now) known as the holy grail of 300BLK hunting bullet/ammo, or the bullet I hunt with the Barnes 110gr TTSX.

Just another option to consider based on specific points for your 300lbs hunting application :)
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

110gr TTSX would be a decent choice, a little more penetration capability, but neck shot with just about any of the 110-130gr hunting bullets should bring a hoss of a deer down on the spot. You may need to have some tracking skills with heart shot and for sure with a lung shot, but the Barnes bullets are lethal!
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
longranger
Senior Silent Operator

Post by longranger »

.35 Remington loaded with your choice of cast lead or jacketed bullets will kill any deer any where no question.