Ammo for Large Deer

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

crs7861
Silent Operator

Re: Ammo for Large Deer

Post by crs7861 »

Yep. Those are the pics on box.

What's killing me here is everyone is talking about testing to "simulate" shooting game, and I'm talking about real world, dead, animals. Like what these bullets were designed to perform on in the first place. I can't stop laughing at the irony of the direction this has all gone. OK...beating...dead...horse.
I promise wet cardboard (and more dead game this fall) to come shortly. I will be piling cardboard in truck tomorrow. Hopefully this coming weekend I'll be posting pics.
Still my favorite forum.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Good - glad your still game. What's killing me is these bullets are not designed to perform at these speeds. Google it. After you look at minimum expansion speeds from just the 150's, think of your MV and deduce what that would be 75 to 100 yards downrange. That is what is blowing me away and there is no arguing that or the exit wound of your deer. It's summertime-just as well shoot some cardboard 8)
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
crs7861
Silent Operator

Post by crs7861 »

I've been so busy with the garden and the house, it's been a month since I've fired my rifle. And I've been bored with reloading. Honestly, how many completed rounds do I NEED on hand. Now I've got a reason to blast for fun.
I might even order some new midweight bullets to add to this later. There is is just SO much cardboard going to waste at work.
Thanks for the inspiration fellas. This is starting to sound like more fun than load developement.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

This is going to upset some because of size but it needs to be big to see the results. With that being said I think these results are very telling what bullets will do what at what velocity. Not saying crs7861 doesn't believe the bullets are expanding but this images seems to say they are not expanding. Although some of the bullets are not listed in this chart it becomes painfully obvious it takes more velocity than the 300 Blackout can reach to reliably expand most bullets not designed specifically for the 300 Blackout.

I tried hosting it on Photobucket but they resize it down to a size you cannot see the detail and you MUST be able to see the blown up image to understand.

Here is the picture, not mine, in its full 3550x2363 glory:
http://stevespages.com/jpg/bestbullet.jpg

Maybe someone with a decent hosting account could post it here.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
mm mich.
Silent But Deadly

Post by mm mich. »

Seem's like it would be easier to use what is tried,proven and recommended by manufacturer's.A lot of knowledge and real world experience on here support's that.That has worked for me.I keep it simple.
crs7861
Silent Operator

Post by crs7861 »

That chart is irrefutably substantial.
Because I've only fired those 180 speer bullets into dirt with no soft target testing, I withdraw my claim that they expand well at blackout speeds until personal testing is complete. I remain certain of the 150s :).
Now I'm the internet idiot to be filtered :oops: . I just can't argue with that chart.
Building frames to hold cardboard test media today. I intend to have something re-useable (minus cardboard) for further and future testing.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

You are far from an idiot. We have all made claims that, at some point, turned out to be false so don't wallow in your misery too long. We have all had our failures and as long as you learned something from this it is a good thing. I cherish my failures because it is the failures that I learn from, not the successes.

It is also better to realize they are not performing as you though than to have an animal get away only to die a slow, miserable death.

I will say that once you do get some testing done you will be surprised, hopefully you come and show us your results whether they prove you right or wrong.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
Jhonjorems

Post by Jhonjorems »

If I could have only one hunting rifle it would be 375HH. Good for anything on the continent and great ballistics no matter what ammo or hand loads you use.
Nearly the same trajectory over a wide range of loads and distances. Versatile, dependable and lots of energy at impact over a great range of distances too.

Last edited by Jhonjorems on Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

Jhonjorems wrote:If I could have only one hunting rifle it would be 375HH. Good for anything on the continent and great ballistics no matter what ammo or hand loads you use.
Nearly the same trajectory over a wide range of loads and distances. Versatile, dependable and lots of energy at impact over a great range of distances too.
Yea. To bad guns are like potato chips.
bdill
Silent Operator

Post by bdill »

Has the testing been yet or did he make another thread for it? Kinda interested in the results.