Nightvision help

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Magos_Mal
Silent But Deadly

Re: Nightvision help

Post by Magos_Mal »

I use an ATN Aries MK238, it's a gen 1, 3x night vision scope that is built very ruggedly. It has worked great for about 7 years now for coyote, hog, raccoon and anything else I've bothered with in the night. You can easily make out people or animals about 200yds off with some moonlight, and much further with an IR flashlight. I have it paired with a Surefire M951 with the IR filter, and they work great together.

Total the setup cost me just under $300 ($200some for shipping, and $90 for the used Surefire with the filter).

It's not special forces approved, tacticool, or something you'd see in Soldier of Fortune, but I am shooting coyote and hogs and doing it on my own budget, not a government supply form.

You can usually find gen1 scopes used for fairly cheap, and as of yet the only problem I've seen someone have with an ATN scope was a burned out capacitor in the battery compartment (a $2 fix). They are really fun and give you a way into night vision that's not the price of a car for something that breaks ten times as easy.
-Exterminatus-
Seventyfivefj40
Silent But Deadly

Post by Seventyfivefj40 »

Klemperer holler at me if you need anything. My prices are excellent. I'm looking for customers first then profits. Not giving it away but my overhead is lower than my competitors.

Sure Gen 1-2 is ok. Designed in 1960.

You can always wipe your hand with your butt, too. :mrgreen:
SICARII Night Vision LLC
Excelis Night Enforcer Authorized Reseller/Morovision Night Vision Authorized Dealer
Klem
Silent But Deadly

Post by Klem »

Cheers...do you have a shop/website?
Seventyfivefj40
Silent But Deadly

www.morovision.com is the website Excelis has set up for its dealers. Take a look and feel free to ask any questions or let me know what you need. My clients order directly through me as my prices are Tier One dealer, and I have flexibility depending on what current deals Morovision is running. Thanks! :mrgreen:
SICARII Night Vision LLC
Excelis Night Enforcer Authorized Reseller/Morovision Night Vision Authorized Dealer
Chopperguy

Post by Chopperguy »

As mentioned above - If you are going to get real serious about night hunting, thermal is the only way to go. More expensive, but really worth it for frequent and long term activities.

That being said, I run a PVS14 behind an Aimpoint Micro T-1 (2 MOA) for my 300 BLK and night hunting hogs. I use it rifle mounted now. I recently shot 15 skunks over a week in OK to ranges out to 135-150 yards with my set up. Plus, plugged my share of linkers along the way.

If you go the rifle mounted PVS behind an optic on a 300 BLK, make sure your unit is rated for the rifle and more than the recoil on a 223. Mine is rated for 223, 6.8 and 300 BLK (AR or bolt guns). By rated, I mean guaranteed for use on the proper platform.

I bought my package from Mod Armory. Dealt with Camille there. She's great to deal with and really knows her product line. My package included rifle & helmet mounting gear and a 3x PVS14 magnification lens. That even works behind my T-1 Micro. I use IR illumination mounted flashlight with an adjustable beam on the side rail which gives me GREAT clarity on darker or cloud covered nights. I highly recommend it.

They now have a PVS14 system that's guaranteed to work on the 308. Again, AR or bolt rifle. I'm saving my pennies, selling some guns and nearly my soul for this unit. I'll move to a helmet based system and their new helmet mounting system, laser designator and IR illuminator.

I can dream…..

I can also say save the $$ up and DON'T buy some of the cheaper junk that's offered out there. I used NV and thermal for MANY years in the aircraft I flew for work. The original stuff we were issued was low bid. And it was worth what they paid for it, basically nothing. When I became the Chief Pilot, I worked hard to get the good stuff for our program. What a difference. We could see MUCH more, it made flying much safer and we were more mission effective.

There is a lot of truth to the old saying, you really do get what you pay for.

Good luck.
If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947
Seventyfivefj40
Silent But Deadly

I'm interested in how MA "protects" their tube from recoil over .223 and so is my manufacturer. Somehow the tube developer/manufacturer says .223 is the max but an independent company claims a hardened unit. Time shall tell. If it's a thin film autogated Pinnacle unit, that tube ain't gonna last.....
SICARII Night Vision LLC