9 point vs subsonic cast lead powder coated hollow point

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

gds
Silent But Deadly

9 point vs subsonic cast lead powder coated hollow point

Post by gds »

I have been trying to get this buck all season after I missed him with my bow. The Land I hunt will be completely clear cut by next week so this may be my last chance to harvest a deer on it. Well this evening was the time. got in the blind late but he came in right at dark. With just enough light to see him I put a round right thru him. he was quartering toward me and the bullet enter just behind the shoulder and exited at the last rib on the other side.

Let me also state that there is nothing like hearing the bullet impact the deer. Thank you Governor McCrory and General Assembly. He bucked a little and took off but hit the ground in less than 30 yds. with a blood trail that a blind man could follow.

300 blk
247gr Cast from wheel weights
Powder coated Harbor Freight black
hollow pointed 1/8 inch diameter 3/4 inch deep
5.56 Blank converted to 300 blk
4.9gr RED DOT powder
980 fps

Remington AAC model 7
Form 1 titanium suppressor.

My testing of this round indicated that the hollow point would expand and break off from the base of the bullet which would then cause the remainder of the bullet to tumble. My results on this deer seemed to mimic what I found in testing

entrance

Exit

Lung I did not get as good of a picture of this as I would like but just to the right of my thumb is where it impacted

Liver. I cannot be sure if this damage was because of the base or the tip breaking off, but my was it severe.

After having a bit of a rough hunting season. I am happy with my results
Last edited by gds on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Re: 9 point vs subsonic cast lead powder coated hollow poin

Post by Jim Timber »

Nice buck! Also great proof that you don't need 2400fps to kill bambi. 8)

Deer will move in shortly after the equipment shuts off up here. They were logging a pine stand in a state forest a couple years back and I wouldn't have expected deer to care much for actual pine trees - they were in the tops like mice every night.
https://squareup.com/market/SimpleThreadedDevices
https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices
#1hotshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by #1hotshot »

Congrats on that pappy buck. Looks like he will take up some space in the freezer
A GUN IN YOUR HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

How long is that can ? It looks longer than the barrel. :lol:
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

randyrucker wrote:How long is that can ? It looks longer than the barrel. :lol:
Lol. 10 inches. It was designed for 9mm up to .308. I do.wish i would have made it 2 inches shorter.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

Jim Timber wrote:Nice buck! Also great proof that you don't need 2400fps to kill bambi. 8)

Deer will move in shortly after the equipment shuts off up here. They were logging a pine stand in a state forest a couple years back and I wouldn't have expected deer to care much for actual pine trees - they were in the tops like mice every night.
I know they aren't the same critter, but my goats LOVE freshly cut tops of pine trees too and will eat the branches bare of needles. My neighbor tosses over my fence the tops of pine trees for the goats as he is clearing some property. Win-Win. Oh, and FWIW, night before last a deer was in the neighbor's field and started blowing when my goats appeared on the other side of the fence. Two of the goats started blowing back at the deer and then all just stared at each other. I was standing there watching through the thermal sight. Deer was more interested in the goats and seemingly paid no attention to me standing in the moon light.

Great looking buck! Congrats.
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

very interesting bullet design Im glad it worked out for you . Im getting ready to head out the door before long . the weather here has been horrible and I am going to go try and watch a bedding area.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Congrats! When's dinner? :)
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

Have you tried this in an AR? I wonder if it would feed consistant. Loaded that long I wouldn't think so but worth the question. It feeds reliably in your Model 7 though so that's awesome. Might have to get into casting. Great...one more thing.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

nolwark76 wrote:Have you tried this in an AR? I wonder if it would feed consistant. Loaded that long I wouldn't think so but worth the question. It feeds reliably in your Model 7 though so that's awesome. Might have to get into casting. Great...one more thing.
For my AR15s i load it much shorter in order to feed. I have tested it for feeding and it does feed. It will ding up the nose some, but that has not effected accuracy.

If you get into casting, be prepared to find all kind of things to test :mrgreen: