non 300 blk question

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Bugspray
Silent Operator

non 300 blk question

Post by Bugspray »

I lucked out and drew a cow/calf WY Bison tag for this season. I only have a .308 win and have harvested a nice 500lb cow elk with it. My question is will a 168gr Nolser e-tip be sufficent(elk round) for a 800-1200lb bison or should I load up a 180gr partition or something else? Maybe just bag the .308 and find something larger? Thanks.
hunter2
Silent But Deadly

Re: non 300 blk question

Post by hunter2 »

You have got the right medicine if it goes in the right spot. Better get one before the wolves do!
Bugspray
Silent Operator

Post by Bugspray »

Although it is most definitely possible for wolves to bring down bison, in this area they don't. 95% of the wolves diet in the grand teton park area is elk because theres more & they're easier to kill. Only wolves in Yellowstone specifically the Haydens pack kills bison.(that I know of). That when hunting steps in to control the population, the population is now close to 900. any more than that and they really start to take a toll on the land also the less bison the less they (fed refuge and wyf&g) have to feed them in the winter.

I cant wait. I have a really late season so hopefully the coat should be nice and thick. I had to put a new freezer on layaway too! I will post pics after the slaughter.
longranger
Senior Silent Operator

Post by longranger »

Get a wolf tag to go with it. Good luck, I drew a similar tag a few years ago it's a great hunt, I shot mine with a Shiloh Sharps in 40-70 SS.Hardest part is getting one to separate out of the herd and getting a clean shot. I was told that a buffalo gun cartridge starts with a 4, pretty thick animal.
shootzen

Post by shootzen »

I came across this HITS calculator that makes some estimations based on bullet weight, diameter and impact velocity. A HITS rating of 901 to 1,500 is estimated for animals 300 to 2,000 pounds.

http://www.hornady.com/hits
http://www.hornady.com/hits/calculator
eastern_hunter
Senior Silent Operator

Post by eastern_hunter »

In 2006 I took a Cape Buffalo in Tanzania and a cow Bison in Texas. The Buf was a hunt and the bison was really a shoot.

Had heard that Bison are not difficult to kill, but not so easy to kill quickly. So I went with the same rifle and ammo I used in Tanzania ... a .416 Rigby loaded with 350 gr Barnes Xs at 2700 fps.

Used a heart shot at abt 75 yrds. Bullet blew a chuck of near side rib through the upper chest and out the other side. Instantaneous kill.

Your .308 will probably be enough ... I'd personally go with something a bit larger like a .338, 35 Whelen, or .375.
Bugspray
Silent Operator

Post by Bugspray »

Bison are the only thick skinned game in NA. People I know who have shot bison have used larger calibers like 45-70 etc. those were mostly large bulls, I hope to get a nice cow (+-1000lbs) so I'm hoping my .308 will do it. Since their vitals are in a weird spot, they typically bleed out into the lungs if hit wrong. I want it to be as humane and quick as possible so I'm thinking neck vertebrae. I do not think I will have an issue getting close. Sentimentally I want to use my .308 but I also don't want to chase a wounded bison all over the place!

As far as shooting wolves? I'm a biologist and wildlife guide in the area so I depend on them for my livelihood, just like ranchers depend on their livestock for theirs. Shooting a wolf(or any large predator) would be career suicide. I implore you to look at both sides of the issue(as I do) before saying "kill a wolf".....and don't make me break out the statistics!
Bugspray
Silent Operator

Post by Bugspray »

Shootzen--thank you for that calculator! My cartridge combo(168gr 2600fps) comes out to 1100. so right at the low end of the scale for big game but I think sufficient.
da bugman
Silent But Deadly

Post by da bugman »

308 is a little light. If I had to do it with a 308 I would go barnes tsx at 180. or the 200 gr nosler portion. My wife killed a Zebra and a Gems buck with 180 NP both dropped to the shot from her 06.. The 338 federal or win mag with thee same bullets would be a better choice. Either way you will need a barnes tsx or ttsx or something similar and you will have to choose your shot. Broadside standing still under 200 yards with the 308. 9.3 or 375 would be better choices. get you a Ruger 375 or or a Ruger 416. The 416 rem would be a good choice also. The Ruger Alaskin in 375 or 416 can be found for about 800 bucks the best deal going
dh2
Senior Silent Operator

Post by dh2 »

the .308 Win. may be a bit light but with a good 180 gr. bullet will get the buff down for the count,
as for trade it NO you are much better off with a lighter cartridge that you shoot well is much better than a big rifle like 300 Win. Mag or .375 H&H that you are not comfortable with.