Hogs with ammo testing included.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

blaster
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hogs with ammo testing included.

Post by blaster »

Gunnut- the 130 s look real good. I loaded 50 today over 18.3 grs of H-110. I didn't even have to adjust the seating die from loading the 125 gr. Pro Hunters. hopefully I will shoot some of them tomorrow. I had been using some 150 gr. flat point bullets that I bought for my .30/30. they were fine and I did kill a big boar with one but with the big flat point I know they will lose energy down range. those Speer 150 gr btsp s sound pretty good. I figured that the 150 + were designed for '06 velocities and wouldnt expand at slow speed. I have lots of Hornandy 150 gr. sp s that I use in the .30/06. I will have to load some up and test if they will expand at BLK velocities.
peace through superior firepower
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hogs with ammo testing included.

Post by blaster »

ncorry wrote:Would I use the 110 VMax again? Yes. Can't remember if any of my shots hit the shoulder plate. I say my shots, cause I did recover a Muzzy 3 blade chisel tip broadhead out of his shoulder. 2 of the 3 blades would still shave arm hair. His skin had healed up, and I went looking for whatever caused the scar while we were skinning him. I thought it was the same hog I shot at a month or 6 weeks prior. Didn't find the broadhead in the shoulder until we took the shoulder out of the smoker. Them piggies are tough SOBs for sure.

Question for some of the more experienced hog hunters in here- This dude didn't smell bad at all. We're thinking he had been run out of a sounder by the bigun we know is around. From boars I've seen before, this fella's testes were about half the size of some of the balls I've seen on smaller boars. Wondering if since he was not with a sounder, and thus not gettin any on a regular basis, if that led to reduced testosterone production, the smallish nurtz, and the lack of smell and great tasting meat. Anyone have input or alternative hypothesis? I was just shocked that he didn't reek of must and the meat was as good as it was. I've eaten 150lb boars that were flat horrible- gamey and just stunk of pig sex odor.
you must have shot a transgender boar. lol. seriously, I have seen and eaten similar good tasting boar hogs. I think that it has to do with several possible scenarios. what the hog has been eating, he may not be sexually developed all the way, and lack of female pheromones causing him to musk. I had 2 goats. before the doe died the billy stunk so bad he was gross. he was constantly trying to get some and was not friendly to people at all. since the doe died he lost most of his stink and is very friendly. it is possible this can be the case with hogs too. a lot of dog hog hunters and trappers will castarate boars and release them so they will be better eating next time they are caught or shot. look for split ears or missing tails. if a sounder of hogs comes in and you see any boars with these marks, those are the ones you want to shoot. they are called barrhogs and are excellent eating.
peace through superior firepower