Nightvision help

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

fearless

Nightvision help

Post by fearless »

Need night vision scope for Hog hunt Northeast Ok in march any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Dochartaigh
Silent But Deadly

Re: Nightvision help

Post by Dochartaigh »

What's your budget? That's going to highly change your options. I went the most "budget" route that would give me a top-end unit for one eye. $1500 auto-gated (auto dimming) ITT Pinnacle tube + $675 AB delrin housing = $2175

There's also how you're going to mount it to your eye. Most people suggest not to weapon mount it. You can go from a $60 Rhino mount + $50 skull crusher head-band type mount, up to a $200+ helmet plus the same Rhino mount up to the cream of the crop $500 Norotos INVG Mount.

Optics are a challenge as well; in my experience only high-end optics work - ex: All the red-dot clones, even those with a "night vision setting" are still WAY too bright to be used with night vision. Had to go with a real Aimpoint micro (~$550). For magnification expect even more.

Or you can go with an IR laser as well....those are also not cheap. Do you want IR illumination as well?
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Seventyfivefj40 is a night vision vendor. I'm sure he will be able to answer your questions and provide you with a bajillion potential options. If he doesn't respond to this thread you may want to PM him.
fearless

Post by fearless »

Sorry I failed to be clear about my expectations entry level is fine of my needs. Right now for a hog hunt once or twice a year I cannot justify putting a large amount of money in night optics.
Dochartaigh
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dochartaigh »

To be honest, don't bother with any sort of night vision then...the lower grade stuff really isn't any use. Sure, maybe $1500 for gem 2+ would be OK, but that's about it.

I suggest a super bright flashlight. If you plan on shooting over 100 yards look into DEFT flashlights...but those are still $400 I think.
poikilotrm

Post by poikilotrm »

There's two kinds of night vision, expensive and don't bother. There is no cheap functional night vision. I use PVS-14s. They work.
Seventyfivefj40
Silent But Deadly

Post by Seventyfivefj40 »

All these answers are correct. There's crap which is expensive and works sorta, utter crap which is cheap and my stuff which is for "your life depends on it or you really love killing hogs". I can help you with anything that isn't for the hobby market. Please PM me if you have questions. NV, thermal, IR. lasers and illuminators, suppressors.....
Last edited by Seventyfivefj40 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
SICARII Night Vision LLC
Excelis Night Enforcer Authorized Reseller/Morovision Night Vision Authorized Dealer
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

I bought 3 Olight M3X Triton 700 Lumen lights a while back for $68 each. On hell of a deal! I see the the 1000 lumen ones going for about $90 on ebay right now http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=m3 ... n&_sacat=0

I have red and green filters that just pop on too make it an instant night hunting light. With the green filter I could take a 200yd shot on a hot no problem, the red filter a 150yd shot. I mount mine with a figure 8 ring mount with one end on my scope and the other mounted to the 1" diameter flashlight shaft. I carry and additional in one hand to scan with.

This may be your best low cost option and these lights are great to have in general as the regular light (no filter used) is good to 300yds. The 1000 lumen light would be even more powerful. Think about this and see if it is an option as it became my middle ground option and I rarely night time hunt but had no problem busting a raccoon at about 50 yds on my 2nd night time hunting attempt.

Good luck :)
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

RENT it. Here's a place that popped up when I searched for "night vision rentals". There may be more that rent.

http://www.thermalvisionrentals.com/
Last edited by Whole Bunches on Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seventyfivefj40
Silent But Deadly

Post by Seventyfivefj40 »

All I require is an $8000 deposit on credit card and I'll overnight my binocular setup to you. :mrgreen:
SICARII Night Vision LLC
Excelis Night Enforcer Authorized Reseller/Morovision Night Vision Authorized Dealer