Black Tips and White Tails

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Black Tips and White Tails

Post by BlogSarge »

Final tally for this year...

Four shots, four deer; all shot with the Barnes factory 110gr TTSX blacktip rounds.

Distance ranged from 20 to 80 yards. One deer was DRT (shoulder shot), one ran 20 yds, one ran 45 yds and one went about 60 yards. All had basically jelly in their chest cavity and three of them had blown out hearts.

The last deer was easy to track due to snow and a decent blood trail, (mid chest hit with lower chest exit, shot from tree stand). The others were without snow and I didn't see blood, although I really didn't look since I saw where the deer fell.

Bottom line; choose good shots, put the bullet where it needs to go, eat venison.

Nope, the BLK doesn't hit like my 12 gauge or my 308 Win, or my 375 Win, but it does the job nicely.

I hope everyone else's season is as safe and productive as mine.

Cheers!
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: Black Tips and White Tails

Post by tallburnedmidget »

BlogSarge wrote:Final tally for this year...

Four shots, four deer; all shot with the Barnes factory 110gr TTSX blacktip rounds.

Distance ranged from 20 to 80 yards. One deer was DRT (shoulder shot), one ran 20 yds, one ran 45 yds and one went about 60 yards. All had basically jelly in their chest cavity and three of them had blown out hearts.

The last deer was easy to track due to snow and a decent blood trail, (mid chest hit with lower chest exit, shot from tree stand). The others were without snow and I didn't see blood, although I really didn't look since I saw where the deer fell.

Bottom line; choose good shots, put the bullet where it needs to go, eat venison.

Nope, the BLK doesn't hit like my 12 gauge or my 308 Win, or my 375 Win, but it does the job nicely.

I hope everyone else's season is as safe and productive as mine.

Cheers!
Congrats and nice concise report on your kills.

It seems that the 300BLK isn't going to guarantee a lot of blood, especially with subs. I'm already moving to take some steps to increase DRT occurrences both super and sub hunting. I'll have next year to report it unless I get something this upcoming weekend with the 110g LD Controlled Chaos.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

I'll post a few pics here if someone will tell me which photobucket link to use to get the picture to display in the post, rather than as a link.
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

Congrats!

I also had a great season with blacktips
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

Grats. Lets see some pics with holes. :mrgreen:
JonConsiglio

Post by JonConsiglio »

BlogSarge wrote:I'll post a few pics here if someone will tell me which photobucket link to use to get the picture to display in the post, rather than as a link.
Pretty sure it's the IMG code. I've been using flickr, so I forget how photobucket is set up. The other option is to just copy the direct link and drop it between this code [ IMG ][ /IMG ] and the pic should show when you submit the post. Do not use a space between IMG and the brackets, I just did that so it would show in the post.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Thanks Jon, here goes nothing....

Deer heart after a hit from the 110 gr Blacktip

Finally, black lab, black tip and blackout black rifle.... with an orange tractor!

I think I was using the wrong image code from photobucket, this one seems to work.

I never was able to recover any of the bullets. I'll have to pick up a metal detector and try to find some next year.
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

I like it. You have a tractor to haul your deer around. Can the dog track deer blood ? What could be more perfect. Well I was thinking about training my wife to gut the deer but I think that would cost me to much money.
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

That Blacktip did a number on that heart!

randyrucker wrote: Well I was thinking about training my wife to gut the deer but I think that would cost me to much money.
it will cost you more than money I am afraid.....LOL
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

randyrucker wrote:I like it. You have a tractor to haul your deer around. Can the dog track deer blood ? What could be more perfect. Well I was thinking about training my wife to gut the deer but I think that would cost me to much money.
Where I do most of my hunting I can get the tractor to within about 50 yards of anyplace on the property. Saves a lot of back strain.

The lab is actually a chicken. She'd probably track away from the big, scary deer! Now, if she ever connects the deer to the liver treats she gets afterwards, all bets are off!

As for the wife, she'll come out and help by holding flashlights, carrying bags of liver and heart, holding deer legs out of my way, etc. She won't get her hands into the deer though. All in all, not bad considering many spouses wouldn't go as far as she does. As a bonus, she can back oure boat down the ramp and launch it! Definitely a keeper!