125 grain sierra pro hunter for first time hog hunt

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

jotiecoyote

Re: 125 grain sierra pro hunter for first time hog hunt

Post by jotiecoyote »

tallburnedmidget wrote:
jcshunter84 wrote:well no luck this weekend. saw every animal in the woods except for hogs. too bad it wasnt deer season already I'm dying to test this round. hope to go after the hogs again in early july. it will be blazing hot but better to be in the woods than working. ran across some 110 gr sierra varminters the other day and picked them up out of curiosity, had them running just under 2500 fps with 20.0 gr of h-110 and shot real accurate but figured they dont carry a lot of energy too far. figured i might use those on yotes or something this fall. anyone ever hunted anything bigger with them? on side note this was my first hunting trip with my blackout and I'm hooked. stalking through the swamps with it was awesome.
I feel your pain. I set up snares to catch hogs and get nothing but coyotes. I set up traps for hogs with a feeder and all, and see everything but hogs stop by. They are all over the state of Texas yet when I really get a setup going they disappear on me. I know that if I ever move on a night vision setup they will stop coming out at night.

All that would be left then would be for them to become inner city hogs to avoid me :P
All I have to say is, " Have 300 BLK, will travel."
jotiecoyote

Post by jotiecoyote »

Anyone else have additional info on the 125gr Seirra Pro Hunter??? I still have about 1,800 heads to play with. I just picked up 2 lbs of LilGun to play with at $20.75 a can. I refused to pay the $30 a pound they were asking before. Thanks.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I had tested this round, first for accuracy and then for expansion. They are accurate with every load I had tested, not temperamental at all. I just could not get them to expand no matter how hard I pushed them. Ballistic media was wet phone books. They penetrated around 15 to 16 inches and looked like an FMJ recovered. I have a thread in the hunting section somewhere with pics. I will look for it if you want to see it. I really wanted them to work but decided to relegate them as plinkers and not for deer.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
jotiecoyote

Post by jotiecoyote »

Rebel. I'm using a 16" AAC upper. What length Barrel are you using? I would really like to use these on deer and coyotes. For humane kills I'ld swich to the Hornady SST or Noslers BT 125gr heads, but being a varmit bullet I would think expansion would be adaquite out to 100yds at 2,200 - 2300 fps.

Thank you for your help. Jason.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I'm using a 16". Trust me brother, they will not expand. Designed for a much higher velocity. I'd go with the SST, 110 barnes blacktip and then the Nosler. Whichever you can get and shoots accurate. I couldn't get Barnes factory stuff to group. It really needs a handloaders touch, but when I discovered what the sst would do and compared the cost and availability.... well, I put all efforts into making it shoot right.
jotiecoyote

Post by jotiecoyote »

Thank you for the info. Hornady SSTs it is. What kind of velocity is needed for reliable expansion? All the bullet/ powder combos I've tried have been for accuracy so far and not terminal preformance. Thanks again, Jason
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

125 sst's will expand down to 17-1800 FPS from what I have read. Now that deer season is over here, I will test this bullet at 100 and 200 yards in the same medium. I am confident in the 100 yard performance and curious about the 200. We will see. If I can get enough newsprint, I'll shoot it at 300.
USCS

Post by USCS »

Guys,
I like the SST and have used it on a whitetail doe at 154 yards. Bullet performance was good, the bullet exited through the shoulder and made a hole a little bigger than a golf ball. I hit her higher behind the shoulder than I would have liked so there was no blood trail for the first 20 yards. Once we located the blood trail we found her piled up 30 yards further on.

I don't have a chronograph is I can't speak for velocity. I was using 18.5 grains of Lil Gun at the time, but have since switched to 19 grains of 300MP because it groups better out of my gun. I'll use this bullet for deer next year unless I find something better, but it will be a hard sell, it is hard to beat this bullet for price and performance.

That said, Reb. Hurry up and do your tests, I am interested in the performance @200yds. Given its performance @ 154 yds I have confidence it would be fine, but it is always nice to have my theory confirmed scientifically.