Need more hunting pics

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

sallen67
Senior Silent Operator

Need more hunting pics

Post by sallen67 »

Hey guys, I'm gearing up to go hunting for the first time this year.
I like seeing your pics and the stories behind them.
If anybody has any, we sure could use some more here.

Scott
gunnyart
Silent Operator

Re: Need more hunting pics

Post by gunnyart »

I've got a story but no pic yet. Missed at 59yds with a suppressed AR BLK pistol last hunt of the season. Next year the form 1 should be approved so I've got someplace to put my shoulder and cheek for a steadier shot.
sallen67
Senior Silent Operator

Post by sallen67 »

No story from me yet either. This will hopefully be my first year hunting. I'm going to miss out on a pig hunt the end of this month. No lead free hunting ammo yet and my optics haven't arrived.
Waiting for all the pieces to come together. Hopefully later this year.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

These are posted elsewhere on hear but i will post them again.

I am a big fan of the cartridge and have now taken 9 deer with it so far and my daughter has taken one.

My first 2 with this cartridge were bucks back in the 2010 season.

178gr AMAX
10.1gr A1680
935fps

First one was a 6 pointer but lost an antler somewhere
Neck shot. Honestly I just did not feel like tracking anything that evening.

Second one same bullet
It had snowed the day before so since I hunt behind my house and we were snowed in I went out. 2 of them came in but only this one gave me a clear shot. I had tested the tumbling effect on water jugs and wet phone books. but decided to try a double lung shot figuring if I do not get a blood trail he would be easy to track in the fresh snow. ended working well

entrance
exit

lungs and such were really messed up

Then 2011 season I took 5 deer and my 14 year old daughter took her first deer, a good size doe, she was actually bigger than the picture makes her look.

She was about 25 feet in front of the stand, ran off about 40yds and crashed. Bullet was a thru and thru tore up the left lung and liver and looked like top of heart was damaged badly, honestly the internals were so messed up it was hard to tell, but very little meat damage .

The bullet was a:
180gr Prototype low velocity expander
14.5gr Accurate 1680
1475fps

Rifle, same one I used above
Parts gun various suppliers on an Oly lower
Barrel: 16 in 1 in 10 twist carbine position gas port at .125. Made from a remington 700 .308 take off.

The following were all taken by myself using the following bullet and load
200gr Prototype low velocity expander
10.1gr Accurate 1680
935fps
All of them were about 50 yds

Rifle is based on a 80% lower using various parts
Barrel is a 1 in 8 twist pistol position gas port. Not sure of port size. Actually just borrowing the barrel because the owner had not had time to make me a 1 in 8 twist short barrel yet, and he was not going to get a chance to hunt this season.

first one was a Doe. spine shot hit bone all the way thru recovered bullet on other side. Dropped on the spot. finished her with my .45. had to cut out about an inch and a half of backstrap because of damage.

spine damage
Bullet on left was recovered
Bullet on right was recovered from a fresh road kill experiment that went all the way thru and recovered in the dirt.

Next was a small doe. High shoulder low neck. exit wound blew out left shoulder. she instantly fell. struggled to get up, limped about 5 yrds laid down for a few moments struggled to get back up, limped about 10 yds then laid down again. I waited a few moments and she looked like she was thru. I got down and as I got close to her she struggled back up and limpled into a thicket. I backed off and took my stuff down and to the house, and waited a few minutes. Got My 16 year old boy to help me track her, Started where we shot her and followed good blood trail and she was about 5 yds into the thick area.

Exit wound
Top of lungs

3rd one I actually thought was a large Doe, but ended up being a descent size button buck.

Right at the base of the neck and back. dropped where he was. he was still breathing a little when I got to him so finished him with my .22 1911 top of head.

recovered bullet in left shoulder.

4th one was another small doe a pair came in so I lined up one and took her in the shoulder. she ran off about 30yds and was dead.

Double lung shot
Entrance

Exit

Now the funny part was when I shot the other one of course took off the opposite direction then the one I shot. When I got to where I shot her I found this on the ground:
I was confused because I new where I had aimed and she was walking slowly when I took the shot, plus there was a blood trail:confused:. So I followed the blood and there she was. In just that few minutes, I had forgotten about the tail until I drug her back to where I shot her and then saw the tail on the ground again. I looked at her tail and the whole thing was there. I realized that as she was walking she had walked in front of the other one and when I took the shot the bullet went thru and then clipped off the tail of the other one.:eek:

Last one was a mercy kill spike buck came in limping and only one antler.

His back leg looked like it had been hit with a shotgun pellet. bone was shattered and had started to heal all messed up. wound was infected. the other antler which I thought maybe had broken off had actually never started growing. We have hunters that run dogs in this county and this is seen a lot. guy tries taking a shot at a running deer with his 12 gauge and all he does is wound it :mad:. I am not a fan of dog runners.

For The 2012 season I decided to use cast bullet.
The reason I am using the Cast bullet is because my buddy that made the protoypes I was using has had problems with his machinery and just life in general and has not been able to make me any more. Plus i liek the mix of old school and new school hunting

Shot this little girl late October 2012

9.5 inch 1 in 8.5 twist barrel from Tactical Ammunition.
80% receiver
Mamba 1-4 scope circle dot
247gr NOE cast Boolit cast from wheel weights
10.1 gr A1680
Velocity not measured initially because chrono was broke, I got my chrono fixed after harvesting the 2 for the 2012 season and tested and it was going 850fps. This was for 6 pointer below also. However I no longer use this load

High shoulder shot, broke rib, went thru both lungs, clipped the spine and exited the other side.
entrance

exit

Lungs

All that and she still made it 25 yds before piling up.

Video
http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/ ... boolit.mp4

Shot this 6 point buck Early December 2012

Entrance

Exit

Inside entrance

Inside Exit

Lungs

Jelled up stuff

He dropped right where he stood
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

I can't figure out how to post pics. when I click the IMG box it does not go to the browse box that I can get into my pictures with. I am computer illeterate. is there an easy way?
peace through superior firepower
Legionaire
Silent But Deadly

Post by Legionaire »

Use photo bucket or another online picture share site and upload the photos to there then paste the link in the post.
KooterBlaster

Post by KooterBlaster »

Took down my first hog using 300AAC Barnes 110gr Tac-X. I loaded 20 of them the same morning and was curious to see what the hype was all about. I was impressed by the knock down power and devastation of this projectile.
The hog was on the run about 50 yards away from me charging my friend and his dog from behind, and I was taking the shot from the standing position. My first shot hit him in the hind quarter area, and dropped him instantly. I couldn't get a clean kill shot for a finish because the dog was all over it. Eventually we got the dog off the hog to get a kill shot. I shot the hog from above in between the shoulders and it was over.
Unfortunately I could not recover the projectile since it was lodged inside the head from the mercy shot. Now I am hooked and can't wait to shoot more again. Its 300AAC for me for now on, its lighter than carrying my LMT in 7.62mm.
jc10311
Silent Operator

Post by jc10311 »

I took this button buck last season with a 155 gr A-Max over 16.2 gr of H110. He was at 165 yards. He made two jumps and died in the middle of a friggin blackberry patch.

I got a 'yote at 275 yards, but didn't have a camera with me, so no pics. Hit him with a 125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip over 18 gr of Lil' Gun. Same gun.