Recommendation for a goot hunting scope for my 300 BLK

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ksgunguy

Recommendation for a goot hunting scope for my 300 BLK

Post by ksgunguy »

Hi all,
Looking to do some white tail hunting this year and awaiting my wilson combat 300 BLK and seeing what people ware using and what their recommendations are. My only criteria is I just want to buy one and done.

thanks in advance
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Re: Recommendation for a goot hunting scope for my 300 BLK

Post by Whole Bunches »

I've tried several scopes and red dots sights over the 3 years I've been hunting whitetails with the 300 BLK/Whisper. Finally, for overall use, I now use either a 2-7x or a 2-8x (I have several 300 BLK rifles and have different scopes on them). From an appearance standpoint, they aren't too big for the AR and are certainly smaller than a 3-9x. Can crank up the power for load testing and sighting in. While none of mine have an illuminated reticle, I can see how that could come in handy in early morning or late afternoon shooting. Without an illuminated reticle, I recommend thicker crosshairs at the outer edges and smaller in the center. I believe makers call them "duplex". I have Leupold, Nikon, and Burris. If I had to choose one, I'd go with the Nikon, as it is 2-8x, and the others are 2-7x.

Nikon M223 2-8x with BDC reticle with Nikon M223 mount.
ksgunguy

Post by ksgunguy »

thank you
Tarnath

Post by Tarnath »

Nikon is coming out with a scope specific for the 300BLK.
http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Nikon-P ... 0-BLK.html
Personally, I am trying to decide if I should wait on this scope or do with the Nikon P-223 3-9x40.
Bersa
Silent Operator

Post by Bersa »

Whole Bunches wrote:I've tried several scopes and red dots sights over the 3 years I've been hunting whitetails with the 300 BLK/Whisper. Finally, for overall use, I now use either a 2-7x or a 2-8x (I have several 300 BLK rifles and have different scopes on them). From an appearance standpoint, they aren't too big for the AR and are certainly smaller than a 3-9x. Can crank up the power for load testing and sighting in. While none of mine have an illuminated reticle, I can see how that could come in handy in early morning or late afternoon shooting. Without an illuminated reticle, I recommend thicker crosshairs at the outer edges and smaller in the center. I believe makers call them "duplex". I have Leupold, Nikon, and Burris. If I had to choose one, I'd go with the Nikon, as it is 2-8x, and the others are 2-7x.

Nikon M223 2-8x with BDC reticle with Nikon M223 mount.
This is what I use, it's FANTASTIC...and you can't beat the price point, does 3 times what the new Nikon does, ate less than twice the price, you will NOT be disappointed...
CMR-AK762 Tactical Scope
http://hi-luxoptics.com/product/riflesc ... cal-scope/
snakesausage

Post by snakesausage »

I ordered one of the Nikon P-300 BLK scopes. If you do not mind a little wait it looks like it will be perfect for hunting.
viewtopic.php?f=151&t=82116

Edit: Looks like someone else is already recommending... I should have read the entire thread before posting...
zeb123

Post by zeb123 »

I would seriously look at a vortex viper pst 1-4x24 depending on how far you are going to shoot. where I hunt it is a little light on magnification but would be great for hunting in close quarters or timber. that's what I've got mine for. hope this helps.
QuietMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by QuietMike »

M_Derelict
Silent Operator

Post by M_Derelict »

I am going through the same thing myself at the moment. I have one of the Nikon P300s on order, but am thinking of canceling it. The recticle seems nice, but I have a P-223 on another gun (in 223) and like it. I am thinking that the extra magnification of the P223 might be nice to have when hunting. Also, the larger objective should help in low light.

What to do. What to do.
JulietRomeoLima

Post by JulietRomeoLima »

I currently have a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 mm scope on my 300 BLK AR. I have the 4-Plex reticle on mine but they also make an Accu-Range model for holdover shots. This scope has a very clear and bright picture with generous eye relief which worked perfectly with a cantilever mount like a Burris PEPR or a Nikon M223 mount. I've used it in thickets and wooded areas in WV and the setup hasn't let me down yet. Excellent quality optic for a very reasonable price.