First deer with a suppressed 300 Blackout!!!

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

selph arms llc
Industry Professional

First deer with a suppressed 300 Blackout!!!

Post by selph arms llc »

I got my first deer the second day of opening season with the items listed below. I was not impressed with the Remington 220gr ammo just flew right threw.

I will be loading up some Hornady 208gr A-Max and see how that does on the small deer here in TX.

AR-15
Selph Arms LLC 10.5" 300BLK barrel magull midlegth handguard
YHM phantom suppressor with QD mount
Rockriver 2 stage trigger
Remington 220gr subsonic

Selph Arms LLC
07 FFL/Class 2 SOT

gds
Silent But Deadly

Re: First deer with a suppressed 300 Blackout!!!

Post by gds »

Awesome.

You should try some of the outlaw state bullets they are expensive but have good reviews.

I used a 178gr Amax that tumbled after entering. it did a pretty good amount of damage to the lungs, and the 6 pointer only made it 30 yds

Obviously the AMAX will not expand, my understanding is that it is not designed for expansion at any velocity.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
selph arms llc
Industry Professional

Post by selph arms llc »

gds wrote:Awesome.

You should try some of the outlaw state bullets they are expensive but have good reviews.

I used a 178gr Amax that tumbled after entering. it did a pretty good amount of damage to the lungs, and the 6 pointer only made it 30 yds

Obviously the AMAX will not expand, my understanding is that it is not designed for expansion at any velocity.
I will have to get some of the Outlaw State Bullets and give them a try.
Selph Arms LLC
07 FFL/Class 2 SOT

codyaaron

Post by codyaaron »

congrats great job dude.i do agree with you gds outlaw state bullets are awesome it may be expensive but its worth buy for..

Last edited by codyaaron on Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

I have not used the outlaw bullets but have used a prototype that has a similar concept. They did very well
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
selph arms llc
Industry Professional

Post by selph arms llc »

codyaaron wrote:congrats great job dude.i do agree with you gds outlaw state bullets are awesome it may be expensive but its worth it to buy..
Thanks... I will be going out next week with my HD video camera so i will try to get some video of the 208gr A-Max and get it posted.

I placed my order for some of the outlaw bullets and some from lehigh and look forward to testing them.
Selph Arms LLC
07 FFL/Class 2 SOT

selph arms llc
Industry Professional

Post by selph arms llc »

This is a video of my 10.5" barrel using the Remington 220gr subsonic.

http://youtu.be/y7hHPfjbIeU
Selph Arms LLC
07 FFL/Class 2 SOT

sneedb82

Post by sneedb82 »

A-Max is actually a Match grade bullet that is designed for expansion through explosion. It is highly frangible, but not near as frangible as the v-max bullet. We use the Amax in the grendels with great success, and recovery on the animals shot with it past 200 yards shows considerable loss of the projectile. That being said, your second comment is exactly right: the 208gr is designed for other 30-cal cartridges for expansion/explosion at speeds above the 1000fps mark... so therefore, this particular bullet will indeed yaw and tumble... which creates the death channel. Otherwise, use the 110gr if you want the quick death.... or another bullet.

Hey Brad, what sort of accuracy are you seeing with the 220 that you shot the deer with? I wasn't getting spectacular accuracy with the factory loads, so I went with the Amax, and was pleasantly surprised. Just curious.
Brandon
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Brandon do you know what velocity the Amax will expand/explode. I have put the 178gr in my .308 and shot it into water jugs and it did not expand it just broke the tip off. I was using RL15 and cannot remember what the charge was, but I recall I should have been getting 2300 - 2400 fps.
After doing some research it appeared that the AMAX acted like the Sierra Match kings and did not actually expand.

Reason I ask is I have a buddy that has a 300 win mag and since I found the AMAX to be so accurate I would like to use it as a go to bullet for him.

sneedb82 wrote:

A-Max is actually a Match grade bullet that is designed for expansion through explosion. It is highly frangible, but not near as frangible as the v-max bullet. We use the Amax in the grendels with great success, and recovery on the animals shot with it past 200 yards shows considerable loss of the projectile. That being said, your second comment is exactly right: the 208gr is designed for other 30-cal cartridges for expansion/explosion at speeds above the 1000fps mark... so therefore, this particular bullet will indeed yaw and tumble... which creates the death channel. Otherwise, use the 110gr if you want the quick death.... or another bullet.

Hey Brad, what sort of accuracy are you seeing with the 220 that you shot the deer with? I wasn't getting spectacular accuracy with the factory loads, so I went with the Amax, and was pleasantly surprised. Just curious.
knoxville
Silent Operator

Post by knoxville »

The A-max is a match bullet that is not designed to expand, evens states on the hornady website that it is not designed for hunting. I do use it exclusively for hunting though. I have shot my load into gel for some Hornady reps. The bullet will begin to tumble on impact. The wound channel is caused by this tumbling. I have observed this first hand on live game. I took 5 white tail and a coyote with it so far. Shot placement is critical because you don't have the huge temporary cavity as with supersonic projectiles. It works well and is very accurate. It is also much cheaper than SMK's. Yes an expanding bullet would be better, but I have had great results with the A-max and will continue to use it.