new 300blk build for hunting/general shooting

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

wellyman

new 300blk build for hunting/general shooting

Post by wellyman »

Hey all:

I've been reading through this forum learning a whole lot. Great info here. I am wanting to build a .300blk on my SBR lower that I have in the works. I would like to use it for both hunting whitetail as well as general shooting. I plan to do both of these suppressed as I have neighbors that are very close.

So, as for the upper, I'm wanting to get either the 8" or the 10" Noveske. I like most would like the barrel to be as short as possible since I'll be adding another 8" +/- with a suppressor, so at first the 8" was going to be my choice. I then thought maybe the 10" may give me a little more velocity that may come in handy. After reading through these forums, I now doubt it would make much difference but I'm no expert. I will say 100 yards is about as far as I'd expect to be hunting.

As of right now, I don't plan to reload, but I'm open to it in the future. Right now time is short. While I've heard of people hunting with subsonics, I'm not convinced this is ethical, so as of now I'm thinking I would be shooting supersonics suppressed while hunting. For general shooting I would probably shoot both super and subs. I understand that if I do enough shooting with this round reloading will be in my future.

So my first decision has to do with getting the 8 or the 10 inch barrel. Now for the second dilemma. The suppressor choice. With supersonics being in the game plan for hunting, I've eliminated the 9mm cans from my decision, which is unfortunate because I'd sure like a 9mm can! But anyways, I've been looking at the SAS arbiter as well as the AAC 762-SDN-6, which seems to be a very well liked can. Then I came across the Liberty Mystic, which is a 9mm can, but can shoot 300blk subs and SUPERS with a 8" barrel! I have not seen or heard much on this Mystic, but if it's up there in quality and sound suppression with the AAC and the SAS, it's looking real good and would definitely sway me to get the 8" Noveske over the 10" if I can shoot supers out of it.

I'm looking for guidance and clarifications from you all. I want pros/cons with going with the 8 or 10 barrel as well as the three suppressors i'm considering.

Thanks all!
Tim McBride

Re: new 300blk build for hunting/general shooting

Post by Tim McBride »

Of the suppressors you've listed, the AAC gets my vote. Sold quite a few and the people have been very happy with them.
Another can to look at is the YHM Ti .30cal QD.
For what you are after, supersonic, I would go with the 10in barrel.
STF
Senior Silent Operator

Post by STF »

I am aiming to do basically the same thing WellyMan is doing. Although i just finished ordering the 8" Noveske barrel without doing a ton of research before hand...
wellyman

Post by wellyman »

Noveski sells a lot more 8" uppers than the 10". I too was about to get in line and wait for a 8". Figured I'd wait till I settled on a suppressor first. I was excited when i saw the mystic could handle supersonics in the 8". Although the primary purpose for this suppressor is for this 300 sbr build, and supersonics will definitely be used some along with subs, so I thought it might be best to get one built for 7.62/308.

The yhm ti looks real nice but on the website it says 10.5" minimum barrel?

From everything I've seem to have read there's no noticeable difference between the 8 and 10. I'm still trying to understand why one would choose one over the other if they were both in stock and there was no difference in price.
Desert scrub
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Desert scrub »

wellyman wrote:
The yhm ti looks real nice but on the website it says 10.5" minimum barrel?

I'm pretty sure that is in reference to the 7.62x51/308 barrel lengths, and not lower pressure more efficient things like the 300Blk.
wellyman

Post by wellyman »

yeah I was thinking that this minimum length didn't apply to the 300 blk but just wasnt clear.