8" or 10" barrel length for hunting...

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

follybeacher
Silent Operator

8" or 10" barrel length for hunting...

Post by follybeacher »

i'm reading all the posts and this has been asked several times, but answers vary slightly, so I will just pose my question:

I need to buy a new upper for my SBR lower (yay). Shots will be 0 - 200 yards only (that's a long shot for me). Medium size game only like whitetail deer.
Should I go with a 8"noveske upper / 9" AAC upper / or 10" noveske upper? (already have a 16")
I like the idea of 8" because since it's a SBR... 8" is the most compact. I like subs but probably will use supers hunting. What upper should I get to have a good compromise of overall length vs practicality for hunting? If you say an 8" barrel can hit a 6"target religiously at 200 yards, then I will get the 8". you get the picture.
Thanks
Last edited by follybeacher on Tue May 29, 2012 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Re: 8" or 10" barrel length for hunting... educated opinions

Post by JasonM »

follybeacher wrote:i'm reading all the posts and this has been asked several times, but answers vary slightly, so I will just pose my question:

I need to buy a new upper for my SBR lower (yay). Shots will be 0 - 200 yards only (that's a long shot for me). Medium size game only like whitetail deer.
Should I go with a 8"noveske upper / 9" AAC upper / or 10" noveske upper? (already have a 16")
I like the idea of 8" because since it's a SBR... 8" is the most compact. I like subs but probably will use supers hunting. What upper should I get to have a good compromise of overall length vs practicality for hunting? If you say an 8" barrel can hit a 6"target religiously at 200 yards, then I will get the 8". you get the picture.
Thanks
Accuracy won't be any different at all.

Terminal effects with good ammo will also be incredibly close.

Between those, go with whatever handguard/barrel combo you like best, what you can get a deal on, and what is in stock.
Graphic design and branding: https://www.facebook.com/VisualGravy

Some clients include AAC, Rem Defense, Daniel Defense, MilTimes, TrackingPoint, Ambush, Noveske, Unity, Rem, Bushmaster, NRA, etc.