Hog hunt this weekend!!

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BuckySWT
Silent But Deadly

Hog hunt this weekend!!

Post by BuckySWT »

300BLK + 208gr AMax subs + AAC TiRant9 = pork chops

(I hope)

Myself and 2 other coaches from the middle school I work at are headed about 2 1/2 hours northwest to a co-worker's family's 1400 acre ranch to go "shoot as many pigs as we can." Best part...her cousin as already said he wants us to come out to her place and shoot some pigs :mrgreen: Bazinga!

3 of us...1400 acres all to ourselves.

Deer steaks are packed
Guns (multiple) are on the bed. Can't bring em to school :)

Been a new daddy for 6 months now and this is my first overnight hunting trip since last year and I'm PUMPED!!

Taking the Flip video recorder and camera (phone), so hopefully will be able to post some stuff Sunday evening/Monday afternoon.
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
BigDinTexas
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Hog hunt this weekend!!

Post by BigDinTexas »

BuckySWT wrote:300BLK + 208gr AMax subs + AAC TiRant9 = pork chops

(I hope)

Myself and 2 other coaches from the middle school I work at are headed about 2 1/2 hours northwest to a co-worker's family's 1400 acre ranch to go "shoot as many pigs as we can." Best part...her cousin as already said he wants us to come out to her place and shoot some pigs :mrgreen: Bazinga!

3 of us...1400 acres all to ourselves.

Deer steaks are packed
Guns (multiple) are on the bed. Can't bring em to school :)

Been a new daddy for 6 months now and this is my first overnight hunting trip since last year and I'm PUMPED!!

Taking the Flip video recorder and camera (phone), so hopefully will be able to post some stuff Sunday evening/Monday afternoon.
I'm definitely jealous. Have fun. Be safe, and remember, no pix it didn't happen...

Don
"Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff..." -author unknown
BuckySWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BuckySWT »

oh, there will be pics....

evidently there's a few hogs running around.

The cousin owns the neighboring ranch, and he has hog snares set. I've heard of this, but never seen it in action. You've gotta be serious about getting rid of hogs when you start setting snares on fencelines.

I only brought 3 boxes of subs.

but I have 120 rounds of 147 gr fmj, 40 rds of 115 gr OTM, and 20 rounds of 110gr AMax.

I guess if I run out of subs, we'll resight for the 110 gr, then resight again and doing head shots with the OTM and FMJ.
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
HotHolster
Silent But Deadly

Post by HotHolster »

By this time you're already into the hunt. Wishing you straight to the heart shots and hopefully many pigs fall to the group.
BuckySWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BuckySWT »

Time for the post game report.

we got skunked.

Had a front blow through friday and it kicked up some major storms (we drove through most of em...at night...eesh). Took a 2 1/2 hr drive and turned it into a 4 hour marathon.

With as hard as it was raining, there was no chance of us going exploring that night/baiting, etc. So out came the John Wayne movies and cold beer and we lit the heaters in the cabin and hunkered down to wait out the storms.

It was off and on rain most of Saturday, but we had 4wd and the terrain was mostly rocky. We found some nice draws, and really nice flat next to a big creek where we threw out some corn (mixed variety...had been fermenting with beer, jello, big red, etc.), then corned the roads on the way back to camp for lunch.

If FINALLY dried up my late afternoon, so we did a little target practice by the cabin, and I finally dot to dial in the 300BLK with my 208gr AMax and my TiRant9 silencer. All I can say is that my 2 buddies giggled every time I shot it :) It's pretty dang quiet with that 9mm can. I let one of them shoot it and I backed off 10 feet or so and got a chance to giggle myself. I can't wait to get a 30 cal can ordered...I know they say they're much quieter than the 9mm cans, but wow...if that's really how it is...these guns are scary quiet, because this one is borderline scary quiet as is (based on my observations of my own rifle and never heard a suppressed weapon in person before ;) )

I was shooting loaded ammo from Right to Bear Ammo and even with a swirling winds, I was very impresssed. I really want to sit down with a bench and sand bags and really get a good sense of what this stuff can do, but standing, using a brick bbq pit to lean across, I had several rounds in a 10 shot group touching. The whole group was not all that night...but conditions being what they were...I was happy.

Back to the hunt. We headed out after dark and sloshed back to our first spot and sat for a couple of hours. It was spooky quiet. Light winds, but NOTHING was moving...absolutely dead quiet. We picked up and went to the south end of the ranch to the creek bottom, snuck in and hunkered down under a big oak. A hour or so went by and we were cold and bored, so the predator call came out and got set up 50' or so in front of us.

We managed to call up an owl.

Dejected, we decided the only ting that was going to get killed tonight was beer, so we headed back to the house, grabbed the lawn chairs and beer, and predator call, and set up by the back fence and gave it one more shot. FINALLY, we saw some eyes wy back in the brush. I hit the coyote pup in distress call and that got him moving...in a hurry. Problem was...nobody was really thinking we'd actually call something up, so by the time, the guns got up, the coyote was through the fence headed into the other pasture.
The judgement was made (at 1AM) that it would be much warmer (now low 40's outside and windy...temp dropping) inside with John Wayne and beer.

Plans are in the works for hog weekend part deux...hopefully with drier conditions.

No pics...didn't think to video the silencer shoot until we'd run through a box...and I only had 2 boxes left.
Next time....

Still had a hell of a good time and cemented the fact that I really, really, really like this gun!
rockrivershooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockrivershooter »

Sounded like a good time I really want to go hog hunting but there isn't many hogs up here in Arkansas.
BuckySWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BuckySWT »

rockrivershooter wrote:Sounded like a good time I really want to go hog hunting but there isn't many hogs up here in Arkansas.

there will be...

:shock:

they have a strong foothold and are breeding machines

here's a comparison, and this map is 2 years old!

HotHolster
Silent But Deadly

Post by HotHolster »

Getting all psyched out to whack piggies and they don't cooperate, not good. Hope part 2 works out, good luck.

Last weekend we had a front come through with rain and wind. After the rain stopped, we found the hogs all tucked in the thickest stuff around. We had to walk through and spot them hiding, or kick them up to get then moving.