Not sure it goes here.... but Magazine Pmag question

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BlackoutHogs

Not sure it goes here.... but Magazine Pmag question

Post by BlackoutHogs »

Hello,

I have a Pmag 20 round clip I just bought. Loaded it up with subsonic bullets (two types same thing so not the bullets) and the spring was not strong enough to push the bullets up into the chamber between shots. I could actually push down with my hand and let pressure off and they slowly rose to the top. Is this a problem with mags meant for 223 which have lighter bullets or a defective magazine? I have some others but I have not had time to play with them yet to figure out the deal. I loaded about 8 and it started working correctly but in excess of 10 rounds it just didn't push them up hard enough. I assume magazines don't need to break in like guns right?

Thanks....

Scott
C2_Drew
Silent But Deadly

Re: Not sure it goes here.... but Magazine Pmag question

Post by C2_Drew »

I've found that 20 round pmags do not work very well. USGI 20 round mags have worked much better for me. I had the exact same problem with the 20 round pmags, but the 30s work great.
Designing the legacy systems of tomorrow, today!
eracer
Senior Silent Operator

Post by eracer »

I've gone from Pmags to AR-Stoner mags in mine. I also had some issues with my 20-round Pmags. The 30-round Stoners work great so far.
HotHolster
Silent But Deadly

Post by HotHolster »

I use a pre- rev M 20 round PMag without any problems. Like eracer, I also use AR Stoner 5 and 10 round mags, and I also use some 30 round steel mags without problems.

You might try removing the base plate and spring, and spread the spring open a bit more.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

HotHolster wrote:I use a pre- rev M 20 round PMag without any problems. Like eracer, I also use AR Stoner 5 and 10 round mags, and I also use some 30 round steel mags without problems.

You might try removing the base plate and spring, and spread the spring open a bit more.
"pre- rev M"?
"Common sense should be rebranded as uncommon practical knowledge of things you should know.”-nolwark76
Zed Stewart

Post by Zed Stewart »

You have to watch your overall length with PMags. They like a short ogive. I have been using them with Hornady 110s and they work great. I took a wood chisel to a 30 rder and knocked out about 1/3 of the ribs and it works very well with 150s and 180s.
eracer
Senior Silent Operator

Post by eracer »

Zed Stewart wrote:You have to watch your overall length with PMags. They like a short ogive. I have been using them with Hornady 110s and they work great. I took a wood chisel to a 30 rder and knocked out about 1/3 of the ribs and it works very well with 150s and 180s.
I have this pet peeve about taking a chisel to anything that goes in or on my guns... :mrgreen:

Dumb, I know.
HotHolster
Silent But Deadly

Post by HotHolster »

700PSS wrote:
HotHolster wrote:I use a pre- rev M 20 round PMag without any problems. Like eracer, I also use AR Stoner 5 and 10 round mags, and I also use some 30 round steel mags without problems.

"pre- rev M"?

Magpul revised their PMags not so long ago and designated the new style as rev M. If you look on the mag plate and see an "M" molded on the plate, that's the new revised mag.

- There were three basic changes to the mag:
- The faux window spot on the PMAG was eliminated and the body ribbing pattern was changed.
- The Impact Cover was modified along with the floorplate and body to allow it to snap to the bottom to prevent potential loss when not in use.
- The follower and the front internal rib of the body were modified for smoother loading from military stripper clips (especially when improperly loaded using the edge of a table, etc.)
BigDinTexas
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BigDinTexas »

HotHolster wrote:
700PSS wrote:

"pre- rev M"?

Magpul revised their PMags not so long ago and designated the new style as rev M. If you look on the mag plate and see an "M" molded on the plate, that's the new revised mag.

- The faux window spot on the PMAG was eliminated and the body ribbing pattern was changed.
- The Impact Cover was modified along with the floorplate and body to allow it to snap to the bottom to prevent potential loss when not in use.
- The follower and the front internal rib of the body were modified for smoother loading from military stripper clips (especially when improperly loaded using the edge of a table, etc.)
So, in your experience, are the Pre- Rev M Magpul magazines better performing?

Don
"Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff..." -author unknown
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

HotHolster wrote:
700PSS wrote:

"pre- rev M"?

Thanks, HotHolster. Among my PMAG collection, the 5, 20-rounders I have are the "pre-rev M" version, so that explains why I've had no such problems with them. They make great bench rest mags and are also great for hunting use or whenever you need a more compact profile, before going to 30-rounders next.
"Common sense should be rebranded as uncommon practical knowledge of things you should know.”-nolwark76