Commercial load for hogs

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BuckySWT
Silent But Deadly

Commercial load for hogs

Post by BuckySWT »

I know there's starting to be a good bit of ammo commercially available now.

I'm headed out on a hog hunt in about 4 weeks and wanted to know what was out there that performed well on piggies.

I've got a couple boxes left of the UMC stuff, but would the crimped OTM bullet do anything?

Or do I need to look at some pink/green tip 125 gr stuff? (which is what I'm leaning to)

16" Wilson bbl.

No idea the range of the shots...never hunted the place before. Would like to be able to send out to 200-250 if I needed to. Have a ballistics calc. on my android.
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
BuckySWT
Silent But Deadly

Re: Commercial load for hogs

Post by BuckySWT »

was thinking about the 110 gr vmax Whisper load for a little more range, but this has me slightly concerned:

viewtopic.php?f=140&t=78459

Anyone having pressure signs with these running em through and AR platform?

Looks like the Green tip is what's available in the 125 gr market (and cheaper).
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

I load my own , and the 110's have done a fantastic job at stopping anything I've shot at with .. so projectile wise the vmax are great ... now for your concern on primers and bullet seating on that particular manufacturer, I don't know personally ... I only shoot my own reloads , but I have a friend that bought like 20 boxes of the Hornady and he's has 0 problems in his delta company arms 16" upper ...
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
BuckySWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BuckySWT »

imyomama wrote:I load my own , and the 110's have done a fantastic job at stopping anything I've shot at with .. so projectile wise the vmax are great ... now for your concern on primers and bullet seating on that particular manufacturer, I don't know personally ... I only shoot my own reloads , but I have a friend that bought like 20 boxes of the Hornady and he's has 0 problems in his delta company arms 16" upper ...
was hoping you'd chime in, hogslayer :)

Think I'll order a box or two and see how they work out of my rig, and if all is well, then stock up for the trip in mid Feb.

Will definitely take pics, and videos if I can.

MIGHT be getting a couple boxes of subs if my 9mm TiRant comes in. My dealer even emailed and did an EZ Check. Got an email back from Sara Jones directly telling him to call customer service, but she hadn't got to sept yet. Mine went pending Sept 1. I MIGHT have it back by mid feb.
BradV
Silent Operator

Post by BradV »

I purchased a box of the Hornady 110gr Vmax Whisper load to test out in my 16" CMMG upper and had no issues at all. No signs of excess pressure and they were quite accurate as well. No data on live targets unfortunately...
BuckySWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BuckySWT »

well...guess I'll have to go get some live data in about 4 weeks with the Vmax's

what kind of velocity are y'all getting with there on a 16" bbl?
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

For hogs, I would get the new Barnes load coming out soon.
viewtopic.php?f=151&t=78043
"Common sense should be rebranded as uncommon practical knowledge of things you should know.”-nolwark76
BradV
Silent Operator

Post by BradV »

BuckySWT wrote:well...guess I'll have to go get some live data in about 4 weeks with the Vmax's

If I end up not having to work this weekend I intend to do some shooting. I have 10 rounds of the V-Max left and I can put them over the chrony.
BuckySWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BuckySWT »

BradV wrote:
BuckySWT wrote:well...guess I'll have to go get some live data in about 4 weeks with the Vmax's

If I end up not having to work this weekend I intend to do some shooting. I have 10 rounds of the V-Max left and I can put them over the chrony.
Awesome.

Thanks!
firedavis
Silent But Deadly

Post by firedavis »