My 300 BLK and First Hog Hunt

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

eracer
Senior Silent Operator

Re: My 300 BLK and First Hog Hunt

Post by eracer »

I had my first hog (120#)cut up into steaks, ribs, chops, sausage, hams, blah, blah, blah.
The ribs were too lean, the hams needed to be smoked properly, but the chops were pretty good.

Still, the next one will come back from the processor in two bags: chops and everything else shredded together and ready for the sauce.
HotHolster
Silent But Deadly

Re: My 300 BLK and First Hog Hunt

Post by HotHolster »

eracer wrote:I had my first hog (120#)cut up into steaks, ribs, chops, sausage, hams, blah, blah, blah.
The ribs were too lean, the hams needed to be smoked properly, but the chops were pretty good.

Still, the next one will come back from the processor in two bags: chops and everything else shredded together and ready for the sauce.
You're right about the ribs. I cut a slab off one side yesterday and put them in the oven. They were good but I should have done both slabs, there wasn't a lot of meat.

I'm dropping off the hogs at the butcher after work today and I think I'll have it all in some form of sausage, both Italian and breakfast style. I might have them do a couple steaks so I can bread and fry them.