Commercial load for hogs

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BuckySWT
Silent But Deadly

Re: Commercial load for hogs

Post by BuckySWT »

yeah, I read that thread...awesome carnage on the piggies.

anyone got a velocity on the Atlanta Arms 125 green tips?

I can get the info on the bullet.

Just want to enter the info into my ballistic calc (Shooter for Android) on my phone...get it zero'd and sling some lead downrange and some hogs!

Range finder is ready to go.
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
BradV
Silent Operator

Post by BradV »

The chrony picked up 8 out of 10 rounds, so here is some data for you on the Hornady 110gr Vmax 300 Whisper ammo.

Shot1 2372
Shot2 2398
Shot3 2388
Shot4 2411
Shot5 2405
Shot6 2421
Shot7 2439
Shot8 2468

AVG 2413
ES 96
SD 30
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

BradV wrote:The chrony picked up 8 out of 10 rounds, so here is some data for you on the Hornady 110gr Vmax 300 Whisper ammo.

Shot1 2372
Shot2 2398
Shot3 2388
Shot4 2411
Shot5 2405
Shot6 2421
Shot7 2439
Shot8 2468

AVG 2413
ES 96
SD 30

Wow pretty steep ES! Not what I would expect for factory ammo. I wonder why we are seeing such crappy numbers. I discard loads with ES that high in my other rifles. Maybe its chrono related? But you are not the only one.

I get those wide swing with subs with slow powders, not supers. Hummmmmm
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
BradV
Silent Operator

Post by BradV »

It could be a chrono issue. I discarded one shot that registered ~1650 fps. One other shot of the 10 fired read as an error.

I shot these immediately after the 225gr hornadys though, and as you saw a 26 es and 10 sd was shown on the 11.0gr loading, so at this point I am guessing that "it is what it is" lol. I will note that so far this has been the most accurate factory load I have tried in my rifle. It seems to shoot right at 1 MOA.
BuckySWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BuckySWT »

hmm

I like the ballistics of this round based on what I'm seeing from my ballistic calc.

what is the min expansion velocity on these? I'm seeing 1900 fps, but on 6.8 spc forums

if it's 1300 like the Barnes TTSX (blue tip)...it becomes a 450 yard round instrad of a 200(ish) yd round.
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

The Blue Tip uses a normal tip. The Black Tip has a special large-sized tip and functions at a lower velocity.
BuckySWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BuckySWT »

Just got a box of the Hornady 110 Gr Vmax (Whisper).

Looking forward to heading to the range this weekend.

If they shoot well, I'd like to get some 110 gr VMAX from RTBA....cheaper than Hornady 8)
BlackoutHogs

Post by BlackoutHogs »

I've shot a lot of loads, every 5 yards from 10 yards out to 100 yards. I have also hunted with most all of them. My personal preference is the Hornady 300 Whisper 110gr for supersonic and the Hornady 300 Whisper 210gr for subsonic. They both have polymer tips and look similar other than the projectile size which makes the subsonic a bit longer.

My rifle groups tighter with these bullets and the chrony shows the subsonic rounds just a bit slower than the remington 220gr subsonics which I prefer. If I want subsonic, I want them to stay there not pop over occasionally. I have a 16" CMMG rifle with suppressor and Pulsar Digiscope and I use this setup primarily for night hog hunting here in FL.

Supersonic bullets will give you more margin for error on your shots. The subsonic bullets need to be placed better to drop them in their tracks. My scope is mounted 2.75" center above barrel center which makes it a bit challenging because distance calculation is super important. I have two different reticules programmed into my scope that are 5 yards apart in distance - thats how critical it is. Luckily havign a digital scope I can custom build my reticules and I can switch between super and sub with a click of a button and have ranged dots (kinda like a mil dot setup) with the ranges written right in the scope as part of the custom reticule. Any way, my point was - I have to be as accurate with ranging the target as with my bow within 30 yards - past that things level out a bit for a while any way before they drop off fast.

Hit em between the ear and the eye and you can use anything you want including a carbon arrow, .17 HMR, 22 mag, or larger rifle. They will drop in their tracks. If you are off a bit, better hope you have a mach 2+ bullet that will create sufficient hydrostatic shock to turn the lights out otherwise you are going home without the pork.

Want to see the difference between hitting them dead on and missing my an inch and a half with a subsonic bullet? Search blackouthogs in youtube and you will see the black and white hog which I knocked over with a 220gr remington sub and it got up and ran off not to be found. Then the 2 bullets / coon etc video I kill two hogs with same bullets just after I went and spent a day adjusting my reticules and re-calculating distances from tree stand. Made all the difference in the world.

I shot a deer with the supersonic hornady mentioned above - high shoulder. It ran about 20 yards and plopped over. Pigs, they drop too. I just like the hornady rifle bullets and only for these reasons - the chrony readings, the terminal devastation I witness, the groupings and they cycle the gun well. Thats all that matters, I'm not just a Hornady fan I've bought them all.

Happy hunting...

Scott
BlackoutHogs

Post by BlackoutHogs »

Put it here...

Works every time.

Scott
Zed Stewart

Post by Zed Stewart »

I shot three hogs yesterday with Hor 110 Whisper ammo. This is the round I have been carrying since my reloading stuff is not all worked out yet. First one was at 80 or so. She got in front of my dogs by a stride or two and I shot here twice but only needed the first. I usually shoot until they stop or I can't see them anymore. The second was running across a hill at about 250 quartering away and left. I hit that one but it made it to cover. The third came down the fence to me while I was watering the dogs and horse and taking a break. That one went down with the first round at 50 facing me. I hit high but it was good enough. All bullets were pass throughs.

10" barrels rock.

Yes, I have been seeing pressure signs from this ammo.

This is the round I have been looking for my whole ranching life!!!