What states allow hunting with a suppressor?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BWSmith
Silent Operator

What states allow hunting with a suppressor?

Post by BWSmith »

well, that says it all :mrgreen:
bearman
Silent Operator

Re: What states allow hunting with a suppressor?

Post by bearman »

VA allows it.
BWSmith
Silent Operator

Post by BWSmith »

perfect. thanks. That didn't come up in my google searches.
Quiet Riot
Silent But Deadly

Post by Quiet Riot »

That is a woefully incomplete list. Hunting with a suppressor is permitted in 28 states out of the 40 that allow private suppressor ownership. Gemtech has a much better list here:

http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/pdf/HU ... LATION.pdf

Note that a few states only allow hunting of non-game animals (e.g., feral hogs).

Of course, check directly with your wildlife management officials before acting on anything you read on the internet.
Check out my Youtube Channel, TWANGnBANG.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TWANGnBANG
rockrivershooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockrivershooter »

Great find ^^
LTC206

Post by LTC206 »

This is ironic sense suppressor ownership is controlled by the NFA due to their fear that poachers would use them to feed their family during the depression. It appears that if states are going to allow people to hunt with suppressors there is no reason for the government to restrict such a device. Time to send the message to Washington that it's 2012, not 1930, suppressor use while hunting is not illegal in a lot of states, so there is no longer a valid point in restricting ownership other than being able to rape us for the tax stamp fee.
Sorry... just tired of out of date laws that serve no purpose remaining on the books.
rushca01

Post by rushca01 »

I would love to know the same thing for hunting with an SBR. If the state allows SBR's are you good to hunt with one?
Quiet Riot
Silent But Deadly

Post by Quiet Riot »

rushca01 wrote:I would love to know the same thing for hunting with an SBR. If the state allows SBR's are you good to hunt with one?
Nope. NC is one such state that prohibits hunting with NFA weapons of any type while still allowing civilian ownership.
Check out my Youtube Channel, TWANGnBANG.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TWANGnBANG
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

rushca01 wrote:I would love to know the same thing for hunting with an SBR. If the state allows SBR's are you good to hunt with one?
While we're working now in GA with the recently introduced GA Senate Bill 301 to allow the use of silencers while hunting, oddly enough there are no restrictions against using other NFA items in cases where centerfire rifles or shotguns are otherwise allowed. Also, there is no restriction on magazine capacity for centerfire rifles. So I try to hunt with different types of firearms at times, using whatever I have that is sufficient for use on the game hunted and the range and conditions expected.
It's not unusual for me to now carry a 300 BLK SBR with a 20 rd magazine, knowing that any opportunities to shoot would fall within 50 yds at times. Why a 20 rd mag? Well, although I would not use more than a few rounds at a time for taking game, the 20 rd mag is the same size as one restricted to fewer rds. Also, I'm always more concerned about the need for more capacity, when you consider that you're out there alone with little to no chance of help nearby any time soon if you encounter bad people, coyotes or wild dogs. I've never heard of anyone being in a self-defense encounter and complaining about having too much ammunition at the time.

Interesting how we as a society largely consider our laws to be based on “morals” and yet, the laws of even neighboring states (and sometimes different areas of the same state) vary widely at times.
"Common sense should be rebranded as uncommon practical knowledge of things you should know.”-nolwark76