Fewer Hogs in Texas...

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Archangel7

Fewer Hogs in Texas...

Post by Archangel7 »

Happy New Year All!
This is my first post, and I wanted to share my experience on a recent hog hunt. I'd post photos but I haven't figured that out yet, so if someone can help me out, I'd be glad to put those up.
In the meantime, last week I spent about 3 days hunting near Gonzales, TX and managed to take a couple of good sized hogs with my 300 BLK.
The first hog I took was a sow that weighed in around 160 lbs.. I took the shot at around 50 yards and hit her just forward of the shoulder. I was using Atlantic Arms 125 grain pink tips. The round did a complete pass thru. There was a nice .30 cal hole on the side of the impact with very little blood. The round looks like it expanded as the hole on the far side was about double the size of the entry wound. The hit stopped her in her tracks.
The second hog was a 140 lbs. boar. I shot this one on the run at approximately 100 yards. This time I was loaded with 125 grain hollow points from Gunn (I was swapping ammo types during the stalk, to test their effectiveness). The round penetrated the shoulder, completely liquefied the heart and lungs and passed thru the far shoulder, stopping in the hide on the far side. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of the bullet, but it expanded to around .45 caliber and was relatively intact. The round broke both shoulders. Again, hog down on the spot. I did have to finish him with my pistol, because even though he was dead on his feet, he was still trying to get up and charge me! These little monsters are tough!
My rifle is set up similar to my issue rifle so it was like putting on a well used glove when I pick it up. My rig is an old PWA lower with CMC 3.5 trigger, all other parts are milspec, an LMT SOPMOD buttstock, DSA 16" stainless steel upper with A2 flashhider, Surefire classic scout light, KAC rails and vertical foregrip, and topped off with an AIMPOINT PRO optic and 3x twist off magnifier.
This round is awesome! Its a great hog getter. Thanks to all for helping decide to take the plunge!
Archangel 7
firedavis
Silent But Deadly

Re: Fewer Hogs in Texas...

Post by firedavis »

PM sent
Magos_Mal
Silent But Deadly

Post by Magos_Mal »

Sounds like a good hunt.
-Exterminatus-
firedavis
Silent But Deadly

Post by firedavis »

Schneeky
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Schneeky »

I'd like to hear a l'il more about that optic.. d:^) Schneeks..
Outside the wire it's just us chickens, dig?
Archangel7

Post by Archangel7 »

It was a great hunt, lots of fun.

I'm not sure what you want to know about my optics set up, but here goes...

As far as the optic, the AIMPOINT Pro is a non magnified red dot sight. Its really similar to the issue AIMPOINT red dot issued to the U.S. Army. The main difference is that it takes a different battery and it mounts slightly different. Once its zeroed, put the red dot where you want the bullet to go. I like it because its simple and you keep both eyes open for better field of view and situational awareness. The PRO is great because it's price point is almost half the military issue one. From what I can see, you don't give up anything in performance at all. It was geared towards law enforcement who are on a budget.

The magnifier is AIMPOINT's 3 x magnifier. The twist mount is 2 pieces the ring mount that holds the mount and a base piece that clamps to the picatinny rail. There is a pin in the base that marries up to the ring mount, hold the sight at an angle, marry up the pin and base, and twist and its mounted. It magnifies everything in your field of view to 3x but the dot stays the same size. Hit a lever and twist the mount off when you don't need the magnification. I use the magnifier as a monocular to scan with when I don't have it mounted.

Its a simple slick set up.
Archangel 7
Archangel7

Post by Archangel7 »

Here are some pics of my rifle set up. Hopefully this works. Sorry about the image quality, between my cell phone and me having too much coffee today, the images kind of suck.

Archangel 7
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

Nice rig Archangel, man I wish we had hogs to hunt like that in Oregon. At least we can hunt with cans and ARs, unlike some states out there. What rear flip sight is that, a KAC? I can't wait to get my 300 BLK set up. I will try my friends aimpoint before making a purchase but it will deffinatly be an aimpoint or eotech sight with flip front and rear. I'm not going to co-witness both front and rear irons as, for me, I'm just not as fast. For the amount of shooting I do, straight irons, which are very fast or a red dot co-witnessed with the front will work best. I took a 4 day rifle class and trying to co-witness both fixed front and rear irons as well as an eotech was just too much. I ended up turning off my eotech for the 100 yard and longer shots. 50 and in, the eotech was very fast for me but I think not having to line up three things for the shot would be faster. I like the idea of a removable magnified. Most of the time I won't be using it.
morris
Silent But Deadly

Post by morris »

I have a eotch xps3-2 and really like it, can you explain cowitness?
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

Hey, I finally get to add something to this forum instead of just learning. Co-witness is the term for how your sights are set up. When your red dot optic and your irons, flip or fixed, have the same zero or point of impact, the are co-witnessed. If you have the wrong spacer or mount you may end up with your optic on a slighly different plane than your iron sights, fixed or flip. You can still use them both but the red dot may end up zerod'd out of the center of the sight.