WTK: Hunting Scopes?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

JohnInNH
Elite Member

Re: WTK: Hunting Scopes?

Post by JohnInNH »

martineta wrote:I have a Leupold VXII 2-7 on my rifle. Why? Because that's what I had an extra scope of. I like it alot for treestand hunting in VA. Does more than adequate shooting at the 100 yd range where I plink for fun. I have no plans on changing scopes.
A 2-7 makes a lot of sense on the BLK where you will not be making pin point shots at a long range. Field of view is good! I like my 1.5x-4.5x scope a lot a 1-4.5 would make my day.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
Schneeky
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Schneeky »

I've got a Burris Fullfield II 2-7 BP mounted right now. Great l'il scope. Prolly all I'd ever need around here.. BUT..
That Leupold VXR HOG with the pig plex Fire Dot is killin me.
Light & short (11.5oz,9.4"), 1.25-4x, Illuminated dot. Pretty sure I'm goin fer it tomorrow..
With a LaRue QD LT104 to mount it.
I truly hope it works out so I can quit obsessing on an optic.. :roll: d:^) Schneeks..

Leupold HOG
Outside the wire it's just us chickens, dig?
Sever

Post by Sever »

Now why did you have to go and post the info on the HOG? Now I want one! :mrgreen:
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

I'm still seriously considering the Vortex Viper PST 1-4. I just can't decide on which reticle, the TMCQ MRAD, or the MOA. Anyone have suggestions on that?

What makes it so attractive is that at low power the reticle is small and you use the light red part like a dot. But at 4 power the reticle gets bigger and you use it as holderover markings.
JUSTIN3825

Post by JUSTIN3825 »

We have 4 PST 1-4's all MRAD on various 300 BLK's, and it remains my top scope choice for an all around optic on a 300 BLK, (for the $) very nice scopes, especially if you can get one at dealer cost, MAP is still pretty high. I like MRAD, but it really boils down to preference.. If you know MOA, there is a learning curve, lol.
eracer
Senior Silent Operator

Post by eracer »

What is the point of having a Mil-Dot scope on a 300 BLK?
Ranging at 200 yards gives a 1 milliradian target of 7.2 inches, which is inside the approximately 8" MPBR target size for a supersonic round at that yardage. A 2 MOA red dot will cover half a deers head at 200 yards.

If a deer is outside of 200 yards you probably shouldn't be shooting at it with this round anyway. So if the red dot covers the whole 12" head, you're too far to take the shot.

Or is the bullet drop so big at ranges beyond 200 yards that ranging the target is even more important, so that one does not take an unethical shot?
JUSTIN3825

Post by JUSTIN3825 »

shooting steel poppers at distance, nice to have substensions, especially when switching between supersonics, and subsonics.
Deer hunting here in Eastern Montana, long shots are common and the 300 BLK has no use for that. But, prarie dogs is different story. lol
BlackoutHogs

Post by BlackoutHogs »

So I am wondering... Where is the line drawn between standard scopes and newer electronic scopes for hunting deer?

I am assuming at some point you cross the line with what's legal right? I gave a digiscope that is cool I can record the hunt from the scopes view but the fact that it sees in the dark I think may make it illegal to hunt with even though it works in the day too.

Can I use it or will I get in trouble? Or does it only matter I follow the local rules of engagement for deer?

Thanks
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

JUSTIN3825 wrote:We have 4 PST 1-4's all MRAD on various 300 BLK's, and it remains my top scope choice for an all around optic on a 300 BLK, (for the $) very nice scopes, especially if you can get one at dealer cost, MAP is still pretty high. I like MRAD, but it really boils down to preference.. If you know MOA, there is a learning curve, lol.

PM me if you could get me one of those at dealer cost.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns