Atlanta Arms 125gr nosler green tip test on TX hogs

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

firedavis
Silent But Deadly

Re: Atlanta Arms 125gr nosler green tip test on TX hogs

Post by firedavis »

I have eaten a big boar but we are so over run with hogs that we dont mess with them.

I shot a giant boar this morning right before light, he buckled a bit and took off like a rocket. Waited an hour hoping more would come in and with no activity I went to look for blood and couldnt find a drop. I heard the bullet hit but with no blood I was alittle disappointed in the 125gr nosler. I switched over to hornady 110gr Vmax and took off my suppressor and dropped a turkey to turn the morning around. Vmax dropped it like a rock.

700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Any of that tender breast meat left or did the Hornady "blender" mince it all?
"Common sense should be rebranded as uncommon practical knowledge of things you should know.”-nolwark76
firedavis
Silent But Deadly

Post by firedavis »

700PSS wrote:Any of that tender breast meat left or did the Hornady "blender" mince it all?

Shot her about 3 inches below where the neck meets the body. Breast meat was untouched.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Perfect! 8)
"Common sense should be rebranded as uncommon practical knowledge of things you should know.”-nolwark76
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

You guys suck. We don't have near that much meat running around in Oregon. While I don't envy your hog problem, I wish you were a little closer so I could come help. Best we can do is jack rabbits and coyotes out in central Oregon, but they aren't for eating. I guess you could eat the rabbits but after a .223 hits em' it's kinda hard to tell head from tail.

I guess some sub sonic ammo could do it but why?

We only get one deer per season that lasts just over four weeks. Oh well at least it rains here...9 months out of the year.
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

nolwark76 wrote:You guys suck. We don't have near that much meat running around in Oregon. While I don't envy your hog problem, I wish you were a little closer so I could come help. Best we can do is jack rabbits and coyotes out in central Oregon, but they aren't for eating..
But you've got every upland/migratory gamebird in North America. Not too mention that insanely long 100+ day duck season.

I know that 300 blackouts and silencers don't help much for this, but I'm just saying....
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

wildfowler wrote:
nolwark76 wrote:You guys suck. We don't have near that much meat running around in Oregon. While I don't envy your hog problem, I wish you were a little closer so I could come help. Best we can do is jack rabbits and coyotes out in central Oregon, but they aren't for eating..
But you've got every upland/migratory gamebird in North America. Not too mention that insanely long 100+ day duck season.

I know that 300 blackouts and silencers don't help much for this, but I'm just saying....
Don't you have like 3 lbs SLUGS (yuck) you can hunt?
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
Schneeky
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Schneeky »

JohnInNH wrote:Don't you have like 3 lbs SLUGS (yuck) you can hunt?
OUCH.!! Hehehe.. :lol:

You could always move.. And sides, who sez ya can't eat a yote.?
Sure beats the Crow and stinkin feet I, and many others, stick in our mouths on occasion.. :oops: :mrgreen: d:^) Schneeks..
Outside the wire it's just us chickens, dig?
nolwark76
Silent But Deadly

Post by nolwark76 »

Our slugs do get huge, I'm not eating one though. And yote? Well I think I only ate one without knowing it. Of of the B shift Captains made a stew and then half heartedly joked that it was yote stew. I couldn't tell if he was kidding and wouldn't be out of the norm for him. Once they put an add in the paper for good homes to those who don't want their pot belly pigs anymore. You know those supposedly cute little 5-10 lbers that people have as indoor pets? Yeah, they would get one about every other week and cook them up right in the fire station. Nasty.

I guess we are starting to get some 'herds' of wild pigs in Oregon. Since I'm not a farmer it's kinda cool that we might be able to start hunting them here. I have famliy that are farmers and I completely feel for them. I hope they don't get as bad as other Southern states.
2bad4u2
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2bad4u2 »

firedavis wrote:Big boars we let lay. All others we make sausage/eat but you can only butcher so many before we just drag them off. Farmer wants them all killed and I don't mind pulling the trigger.
Please, excuse the ignorance when I ask you this but why do you let the big ones alone?