anybody getting food plots ready?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rebel
Silent But Deadly

anybody getting food plots ready?

Post by rebel »

Just disced about 2 acres, the old massey is not good on the back. Gonna sow ladino and red clover and wheat. Anybody else plant for deer?
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: anybody getting food plots ready?

Post by smustian »

Sounds like I need to plant my big ass in your tree stand. :lol:
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

i'll be up north in the next few weeks.

we're going to talk to one of the neighbor's who wants to lease some ground for alfalfa for his livestock. We've got one peice thats really accessible for our main lessee (its about 4-5 acres, but mixed in amongst trees) so he's willing to have it written out of his contract if the other dude wants to hay it.

my dad wants to put in a couple feed plots over there, but i think i've got him convinced to have the guy across the road run it into alfalfa, basically rent free for him. our gain is we have all that ground as premium food plot, being maintained on his nickle ( not costing us weed killer, fuel, seed, fertilizer, etc) and a small stipend of the alfalfa crop that we can use as fodder for our hunting spots that are off the alfalfa field.

hopefully i dont have to work as hard to convince the neighbor that its a good deal as i did my dad lol
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
cdubya38

Post by cdubya38 »

I did a big plot for summer feeding in soybeans and grain sorghum and it did great. We had plenty of rain at just the right time. This particular plot is about 3 acres. Went through it yesterday with a 7 foot cutting disc and did about 6 passes up and back and planted some durana clover with a mix of sugar beets and purple top turnips. Just need some rain now. Did a couple of smaller plots in red clover, purple top, sugar beets and florida broadleaf. I threw in some oats to make the seed go a little farther. I've got some monsters on the game cam but who knows where they'll be in another month or two.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Nope. Ever since the land I hunted was sold. I have not been able to get permission to hunt around here from other land owners. Land owners are more and more not wanting to let people hunt. They will complain about the excessive deer population and the damage it does to crops and vehicles, but won't let anyone actually do anything about it unless it is government.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
cdubya38

Post by cdubya38 »

gds wrote:Nope. Ever since the land I hunted was sold. I have not been able to get permission to hunt around here from other land owners. Land owners are more and more not wanting to let people hunt. They will complain about the excessive deer population and the damage it does to crops and vehicles, but won't let anyone actually do anything about it unless it is government.
Are there any hunting clubs near your location that you could look to join? Most of the clubs in my area dog hunt which I'm not a huge fan of but there are some that only allow still hunting.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

cdubya38 wrote:
gds wrote:Nope. Ever since the land I hunted was sold. I have not been able to get permission to hunt around here from other land owners. Land owners are more and more not wanting to let people hunt. They will complain about the excessive deer population and the damage it does to crops and vehicles, but won't let anyone actually do anything about it unless it is government.
Are there any hunting clubs near your location that you could look to join? Most of the clubs in my area dog hunt which I'm not a huge fan of but there are some that only allow still hunting.
There are a few clubs, and I have considered them, but most are dog hunters, or they set up goofy restrictions, not to mention, that if you are the new guy and you take a larger animal, you have committed some unforgivable sin, against the old timers. Myself and dog hunters, rarely get along.

Most of the hunters in my area, don't even want to acknowledge I can successfully harvest deer with subsonics and a suppressor. It has to be Remington bolt action in 270 or 30-06 to shoot a sand hills of north carolina white tail at 50 yds. Anyone using one of them there fast shooting guns, is frowned upon.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
cdubya38

Post by cdubya38 »

gds wrote:
cdubya38 wrote:
There are a few clubs, and I have considered them, but most are dog hunters, or they set up goofy restrictions, not to mention, that if you are the new guy and you take a larger animal, you have committed some unforgivable sin, against the old timers. Myself and dog hunters, rarely get along.

Most of the hunters in my area, don't even want to acknowledge I can successfully harvest deer with subsonics and a suppressor. It has to be Remington bolt action in 270 or 30-06 to shoot a sand hills of north carolina white tail at 50 yds. Anyone using one of them there fast shooting guns, is frowned upon.
Ahh I see that NC dog hunters are much like their northern cousins up here in VA.
KTMRacer
Silent But Deadly

Post by KTMRacer »

Not yet. We try and seed ours the first week in October. We start about Mid September bush hogging and then breaking em up good. We do our Spring planting in April when Turkey season goes out. Our Spring plots are iron-clay peas and soy beans. Our Fall / Winter plots are buck forage oats, wheat, and Austrian Winter peas.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I don't plant for deer.

However, there is a natural mineral lick on my families property that attracts animals of all kinds right on a well worn game trail, which also borders a state animal preserve so I don't get much pressure from other folks hunting nearby.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.