Subsonic hunting!!!!!!!

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Re: Subsonic hunting!!!!!!!

Post by Twinsen »

eazenutz33,

Have you had good, reliable cycling using those soft point bullets? I just ran into several posts about 300 Whisper saying round nose doesn't feed in an AR around the internet.

I just bought the brass, some loaded SMKs, and a bunch of heads all in the 220gr range. All of the heads are round nose. I'm like $2,500 into this caliber already and I don't have a working gun, dies, or a silencer for it yet. I'm not looking forward to having to sell it all off.
roxy
Silent Operator

Post by roxy »

I've shot a couple of coyotes out past 200 yds with 200 gr. Game King soft points. Both were "Bang flops" The
hits were broadside center mass w/100% penetration so no bullets were recovered. I'm hoping one will come in straight on so l can put one square thru the chest & hopefully recover the bullet. I'm dying to see if the bullet deforms at all?? I already have confirmation that it knock's the livin' shit out of 'em! :shock:
SBR Gibbz G4 8.5" CMMG 300 Blk 1:7" WASP
Gibbz G4 16" Ballistic Advantage 300 Blk 1:7"
Savage AXIS 16.5" BFG 300 Blk 1:7"
Ruger ARR 16.5" 1:7"
Saker 762
SDN-6
eazenutz33
Silent Operator

Post by eazenutz33 »

Twinsen wrote:eazenutz33,

Have you had good, reliable cycling using those soft point bullets? I just ran into several posts about 300 Whisper saying round nose doesn't feed in an AR around the internet.

I just bought the brass, some loaded SMKs, and a bunch of heads all in the 220gr range. All of the heads are round nose. I'm like $2,500 into this caliber already and I don't have a working gun, dies, or a silencer for it yet. I'm not looking forward to having to sell it all off.
Not a single hangup so far! I'm impressed, because it's more than a round nose...it's like a round nose where the lead tip has been smashed into a wadcutter!
I got a silencer for my wife.......I think it was a good trade!
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Yessssssssss. Thanks guys. I have hope.
roxy
Silent Operator

Post by roxy »

[/quote]
Not a single hangup so far! I'm impressed, because it's more than a round nose...it's like a round nose where the lead tip has been smashed into a wadcutter![/quote]

What is your COL? This could be the key to getting these pug- nosed pills to feed reliably in the AR platform?
SBR Gibbz G4 8.5" CMMG 300 Blk 1:7" WASP
Gibbz G4 16" Ballistic Advantage 300 Blk 1:7"
Savage AXIS 16.5" BFG 300 Blk 1:7"
Ruger ARR 16.5" 1:7"
Saker 762
SDN-6
eazenutz33
Silent Operator

Post by eazenutz33 »

roxy wrote:
Not a single hangup so far! I'm impressed, because it's more than a round nose...it's like a round nose where the lead tip has been smashed into a wadcutter![/quote]

What is your COL? This could be the key to getting these pug- nosed pills to feed reliably in the AR platform?[/quote]
2.120"
I got a silencer for my wife.......I think it was a good trade!
fbh3

Post by fbh3 »

New to 300BLK and reloading.
Was wondering if you could provide more information on the load data?

What SMK bullet did you use? .308 dia. 220 gr. HPBT MatchKing stock number 2240

220gr SMK 11.2gr A1680,Remington 7.5 primer, and COAL of 2.120.

Was the load data for the SMK the same as the OSB?

I am looking for a load that supports ranges out to 100 yards or so using the following load data.
OSB .308 220 gr ( EXOT ) EXPANDING OPEN TIP SUBSONIC, 11.2gr A1680,Remington 7.5 primer, and COAL of 2.120".
TSAR 300 BLK
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

You realize this thread is like 5 years old? The folks you are asking are rarely, if ever here anymore.
There is a subsonic hunting sticky at the top of the hunting page. Read it. The author of it is our mod and has many sub kills to his credit.
Should you choose to develop a 100 yard subsonic for hunting you will have to practice with it - a lot. Your hold at 50 will be way low, past 100 the bullet drop is dramatic, and they cease to open up effectively after every 10 yards past that.
Just me but you might want to look at Maker bullets or Lehigh for an even lower expansion threshold.
As far as load data,take your smks and develop a load, insuring they are subsonic over a chronograph. Your platform would dictate the powder used.
Then take the hunting bullet, and insuring because of it's different shape you were not compressing powder or the bullet was jamming the lands, shoot it it and see where you are.
Not many folks here just throw load data to someone that doesn't provide what rifle, loading experience, ect. That being said the load you listed may or may not be subsonic where you are. A chronograph will tell you. Practice will give give you the confidence to make said shot at 100. I would sight it in at 75, were it me, and damn sure know my hold under and overs.
I encourage you to try hunting subsonic, it's a hoot, but it takes time and $$ to develop the skills needed. Not having a crystal ball, I just don't know that about you. In any case, spend the time and it will pay off.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
fbh3

Post by fbh3 »

rebel wrote:You realize this thread is like 5 years old? The folks you are asking are rarely, if ever here anymore.
There is a subsonic hunting sticky at the top of the hunting page. Read it. The author of it is our mod and has many sub kills to his credit.
Should you choose to develop a 100 yard subsonic for hunting you will have to practice with it - a lot. Your hold at 50 will be way low, past 100 the bullet drop is dramatic, and they cease to open up effectively after every 10 yards past that.
Just me but you might want to look at Maker bullets or Lehigh for an even lower expansion threshold.
As far as load data,take your smks and develop a load, insuring they are subsonic over a chronograph. Your platform would dictate the powder used.
Then take the hunting bullet, and insuring because of it's different shape you were not compressing powder or the bullet was jamming the lands, shoot it it and see where you are.
Not many folks here just throw load data to someone that doesn't provide what rifle, loading experience, ect. That being said the load you listed may or may not be subsonic where you are. A chronograph will tell you. Practice will give give you the confidence to make said shot at 100. I would sight it in at 75, were it me, and damn sure know my hold under and overs.
I encourage you to try hunting subsonic, it's a hoot, but it takes time and $$ to develop the skills needed. Not having a crystal ball, I just don't know that about you. In any case, spend the time and it will pay off.

Thanks for the reply I knew this was an older post. That's the plan to work up a good hunting load.
TSAR 300 BLK
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

fbh3 wrote:

Thanks for the reply I knew this was an older post. That's the plan to work up a good hunting load.

working up a good hunting load is one thing - getting proficient with your distance judging and knowing your holdovers is a whole task.

being off by just a few dozen yards can really have a significant effect on your success

here's an example balistic table for a Lehigh 194 maximum expansion - a great subsonic hunting bullet (and the only one i have a published BC to do the numbers with)

Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.