Shortest barrel for hunting?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rushca01

Shortest barrel for hunting?

Post by rushca01 »

What would be the shortest barrel you would be comfortable hunting hogs etc with out to 200 yards?
martineta
Silent But Deadly

Re: Shortest barrel for hunting?

Post by martineta »

Good question. I have contenders and encores in 10", 16.5", 21", and 26". All shoot great at 100 yards but nice to know what they would do at 200 yards
M. Kenneth Burnett
Hunting Lodge Owner
Paraguay & Uruguay
rushca01

Post by rushca01 »

Anybody? Trying to go as short as I can, would 8" be suitable at 200 yards for hog?
82nd airborne
Silent But Deadly

Post by 82nd airborne »

I hunt with a 7" BLK AR.
Regards,
Aaron Fouraker
Co-Owner
Delta Company Arms, LLC
(918) 332-6503
[email protected]
www.deltacompanyarms.com
IN GOD WE TRUST.
rushca01

Post by rushca01 »

OK, anymore information than that? What's the farthest you feel comfortable taking a shot with it? What have you killed with it? Any other details would be appreciated.
snipecatcher
Silent But Deadly

Post by snipecatcher »

I have a 10" shooting 110 V-max's at 2200 fps. I am using a Burris TAC30 scope with BDC reticle. The reticle is on at 100, 200, 250, 300, and 350. The wind really blows these bullets around. Under normal wind conditions, I am confident out to 250. If there was absolutely no wind and I was eradicating pigs, I could do 350.
-Dan
82nd airborne
Silent But Deadly

Post by 82nd airborne »

rushca01 wrote:OK, anymore information than that? What's the farthest you feel comfortable taking a shot with it? What have you killed with it? Any other details would be appreciated.
The BLK's max effective range is different than most cartridges, in that it varies greatly by how much practice you have with your particular setup. This matters more than barrel length.

I only hunt with subs, deer mainly, and hogs very soon. With subs I would shoot 200 if I know the EXACT range to target, as I know the dope pretty well.

If I was hunting with supers, once again knowing the exact range, Id shoot a touch over 300 maybe.

Of course all of that depends on weather conditions, game, body angle of game, and a steady improvized rest.

I have the dope for the subs I use and I shoot the BLK more than anything else, as I test them alot, so that aids in my confidence. I am also using a 240g+ lead bullet that expands at subsonic velocities. I wouldnt shoot one anywhere near those distances with SMK's.
Regards,
Aaron Fouraker
Co-Owner
Delta Company Arms, LLC
(918) 332-6503
[email protected]
www.deltacompanyarms.com
IN GOD WE TRUST.
rushca01

Post by rushca01 »

82nd airborne wrote:
rushca01 wrote:OK, anymore information than that? What's the farthest you feel comfortable taking a shot with it? What have you killed with it? Any other details would be appreciated.
The BLK's max effective range is different than most cartridges, in that it varies greatly by how much practice you have with your particular setup. This matters more than barrel length.

I only hunt with subs, deer mainly, and hogs very soon. With subs I would shoot 200 if I know the EXACT range to target, as I know the dope pretty well.

If I was hunting with supers, once again knowing the exact range, Id shoot a touch over 300 maybe.

Of course all of that depends on weather conditions, game, body angle of game, and a steady improvized rest.

I have the dope for the subs I use and I shoot the BLK more than anything else, as I test them alot, so that aids in my confidence. I am also using a 240g+ lead bullet that expands at subsonic velocities. I wouldnt shoot one anywhere near those distances with SMK's.

Thank you very much for the reply, this helps greatly in my decision between an 8" barrel and 9" barrel.