Sub-sonic hunting: hand-cycle or auto-cycle the action?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

thepalmhq

Sub-sonic hunting: hand-cycle or auto-cycle the action?

Post by thepalmhq »

Hey folks,

It's been a while since I've posted. Since the last time I did I got a can, so I've been doing some load development with the Hornady 175 gr Sub-Xs (probably would have gone with the Maker Rex 200s, but they've been out of stock on the non-expanding load-dev bullets and I got impatient. Plus, I have a threaded-for-suppressor .308 Win bolt gun with 1:10 twist and these will work in that as well.)

I have worked up two promising loads in a 10.5" upper with a right-side charging handle (more on that in a bit.) The first is 9.9 gr of IMR4227 and the second is 5.7 gr of IMR Red. Both give reasonable sub-sonic velocities and both are accurate in my upper. The former cycles the action just fine, but on that account is quite a lot louder (while still being hearing safe.) With the latter I turn off the gas and it is pellet gun quiet, which I love.

So, the question is, which to use during this year's deer hunt? I gravitate toward using the quieter load -- there's the sense that I'll be better equipped for a follow-up shot if the first one is quieter. But then of course I'm in a position of having to hand cycle the action, which is not so bad logistically with the side charging handle, but may sort of defeat the purpose.

As I think back, ironically on all four hunts during which I bagged game with 300 Blackout -- whether deer or hog -- I either took or could have taken follow-up shots. In one of those hunts I got a triple! So even shooting supers, maybe even supers through the can, does not automatically take way that possibility of follow-ups. Maybe shooting supers through the can is what I should be doing (third option)?

I'd value your individual and collective advice.
30plinker

Re: Sub-sonic hunting: hand-cycle or auto-cycle the action?

Post by 30plinker »

You aren't infiltrating a hog base and taking out sentries.... and you owe it to the animals to have as ethical kill as possible. If your can with supers is like the 762x39 bolt gun and a can I've shot then it won't be much louder than a CCI Stinger or similar hyper-vel 22lr round (not the earsplitting boom/crack of 22wmr), so I'd say go super and cycle the action via gas
dpete
Silent But Deadly

Post by dpete »

What ranges are you looking at? Deer hunting with subs is like bow hunting with a rifle. Practically the same effective range. Attempting a shot over 50 yards you better have figured out your bullet drops/yardage. My 220 SMK loads sighted in at 50 yards are 6" low at 100, and my 200 gr Maker expanding hunting bullets are right there too.
A 110 Barnes supersonic through a can is about as loud as a 22 Mag. You'll get better range, more punch, and a possible follow up shot using supers, but a sub that functions in an AR is still plenty quiet and effective.
I've taken 3 deer with the subs and NONE have left a blood trail. Two were bang and stagger for 30 yards and flop, the 3rd was bang, jump at side to side chest pass through and run for 100 yards. There isn't any hydrostatic shock with subs so no massive internal damage. You don't track a sub shot deer, you look for a dead deer.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Regarding Maker bullets being out of stock... I've ordered out of stock bullets from them 2x and each time they were shipped within 24 hours. The first time they shipped hours later the same day. So if you were looking at the "out of stock" by the chosen bullet... well, maybe yes, and maybe no.
AngelEdward

Post by AngelEdward »

If you think you'll need to take a follow-up shot quickly, auto-cycling may be the way to go, even if it's slightly louder. But if you don't anticipate taking another shot right away, the quieter option may be better. Anyway, consider buying any hunting/fishing equipment at fly fishing deals for sale. Ultimately, it's about finding the right balance between stealth and practicality for your hunting situation. Best of luck on your hunt!
Last edited by AngelEdward on Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

I think the expectation that your subsonic load through a suppressor is going to give you some sort of stealthy advantage is unrealistic at best. What will give you an advantage is shooting a supersonic bullet that is capable of ethically taking deer. The cool factor of shooting subsonics shouldn't be a factor in your hunt.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

AS probably the biggest proponent of ethical subsonic hunting. Your ability to gain quick follow up shots after taking a subsonic shot, are no more possible than using supersonic loads. The impact on the animal is going to be substantially louder than you think.

If wanting to keep subsonic I always advise pushing the bullet to the max subsonic velocity to ensure the best expansion and energy delivery on target.

If you get a follow up shot it will be simply because the deer cannot figure where the shot came from and may actually run off in a direction that gives you a good follow up shot, but know this, they will scatter, unless you miss. Then you might get a follow up shot as they stand there trying to figure out what they heard.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

gds wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:53 am
If wanting to keep subsonic I always advise pushing the bullet to the max subsonic velocity to ensure the best expansion and energy delivery on target.
This. And use the heaviest expanding bullet you can at that speed to give you the most energy.