Best hunting ammo for 16" barrel

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

SemaDinner

Re: Best hunting ammo for 16" barrel

Post by SemaDinner »

Welcome to the forum. Glad you're finding it helpful. As for your question, it really depends on what you're hunting and at what distance. The Barnes and Hornady rounds are both solid choices, but consider the weight of the bullet and the game you're after. I don't know about over-expansion, but a longer barrel can give you more velocity and range. Do you have any tips for finding 209 primers for muzzleloaders? I've been looking all over, but they are out of stock everywhere I go. Anyway, good luck with your hunting, and let us know what you end up going with!
OasisBEE8

Post by OasisBEE8 »

When it comes to hunting ammo for a 16"" barrel, there are a few options that could work well for you. The Barnes 110g and Hornady Black 110g are both great choices, but you're also right to consider the Winchester Deer Season XP 150g. With the extra velocity from your barrel length, you might find that the heavier bullet is more effective for taking down game.
I also recommend checing out 44 40 Ammo. They might not be specifically what you're looking for right now, but it's always good to have a reliable source for all your ammo needs. Good luck on your hunting adventures!
zzookkii

Post by zzookkii »

No one hunts with sierra 125 soft point, spitz?
1873spfd

Post by 1873spfd »

I have only taken one deer with the BO and had to use the supplies I had on hand. The Missouri buck was taken at 60 yards with a 150gr Sierra FP, 30/30 projectile. Neck shot. dropped there. Projectile not recovered. Not having feeding issues, I was concerned about that. I would like to get a box of the 125gr FPHP and build a batch for next year.