Deer ammo

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ADitom

Re: Deer ammo

Post by ADitom »

But you can’t shoot a deer in the ass and expect it’s brain to explode...😅🤣😅

Thats funny.

Yeah thanks. I shoot for double lung/heart usually. I definitely wait for my broadside shot.
Read some that were head or neck shooting with the 300blkout. Is that needed.
If so I would need to be a better shot. Not saying I'm bad but I do still get overly excited when a Buck enters the field.
Maybe there's meds for that. LOL

Thanks !!
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

works for hogs!
der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

I use a 300 BLK for hog hunting. I'll admit that hog hunting and deer hunting are slightly different, in that if I hit a hog and it runs off no one is too concerned. Be that as it may, I keep most of the meat so I'm very interested in recovering the hogs that I shoot!

I use a 110 grain Hornady SP bullet. Right now they're made of unobtainium. My second choice is the Hornady V-MAX. These selections were made primarily for two reasons:
1) I find a 110 grain bullet works best for me. I have used 130 grain and they performed fine, but not noticeably better than the 110's.
2) The two Hornady bullets I listed above are cheaper than the Barnes or Nosler or pretty much whatever else might be available in the same weight range. I would spend the extra cash if I thought I was getting something significantly better, but these are good enough for my purposes.

Again, I'm just hunting hogs, not trophies. But these bullets are doing what I need to be done. On a broadside shot they penetrate both shoulders and exit on any hog under about 170 Lbs. Because they're varmint bullets they expand nicely at 300 BLK velocities without fragmenting.
"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject." — John R. Lott
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

BlogSarge wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:45 pm There is a Speer 150 gr Gold Dot bullet that has received great reviews. Sadly for those of us who don’t roll our own, it is available only as a bullet and not as loaded ammo.
Apparently that's about to change. Several places are showing Speer Personal Protection ammo loaded with that bullet. Of course none in stock, but Midway is showing it as "Coming Soon" and "Overdue". If I didn't hand load that's one I'd certainly check out. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022391156?pid=743581
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

bangbangping,

Thanks. I was not aware of the pending factory 150 GD load. I’ll get on notify lists and scoop some up when they come out.

Cheers,
blog
dpete
Silent But Deadly

Post by dpete »

dellet wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:27 pm None of anything said so far matters as much as shot placement with a low powered cartridge.

You need to find what shoots the best in your rifle.

125 SST, the Barnes bullets, 110 VMax or Varmageddon, Speer and Sierra Varmint bullets all have been proven performers and are loaded commercially.

Nosler 125 Ballistic tips and the Winchester deer loads have worked for people as has Federals 150 grain load,(power shock I think).

But you can’t shoot a deer in the ass and expect it’s brain to explode, that’s where the bad reputation as a hunting cartridge comes from for the Blackout.
But you can shoot them in the chest and have it come out near the ass. Uphill shot, deer looking down toward me at a slight angle at about 50 yards. My 8" suppressed BLK pistol put a Barnes tac tx 110 grain supersonic bullet between her brisket and right shoulder and the bullet exited just in front of the left hind leg. The deer stagged 30 yards down the hill and flopped. Shot placement is everything with these.