Black bear and humming bird feeder??

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

noname
Silent Operator

Black bear and humming bird feeder??

Post by noname »

We have a couple humming bird feeders in our back yard on 1" square steel posts in concrete about 6 ft off the ground. I use table sugar. We live in a very remote location, no houses in sight. Something pushed the poles over a couple nights ago bending the steel. I do not think a raccoon could do it.
Black bear have been sighted around here but are not supper common in our part of Surry County NC. Thing is these feeders were only about 100 ft from our house. My wife will not go to our garden in the daylight without a sidearm.

I have never hunted Black bear before and don't know much about them. I have always heard they are mostly passive, scared of humans not like a brown bear.

Seems she is taking the risk a little more than needed. I suggested trying to find bear spray somewhere instead of getting one of our guns all sweaty. I don't know anything about bear spray.

Any thoughts?
Previously known as hardcase. Moved lost internet connection for 1+ years.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: Black bear and humming bird feeder??

Post by rebel »

That's a bear dude, no doubt. Keep doors closed to home when you out fiddling in the yard. Use stouter poles and pick up a game camera.. Be careful, Black bears are extending their range in NC. There are regular sightings in Catawba, Lincoln, Gaston and Alexander counties. I see no reason why they wouldn't be in Surry, like my county, half mountain and half river bottom.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

Hummingbird feeders are the surest way to attract bears out here in CO. Might look into replacing them with some big red flowers...you can google the ones Hummingbirds like.
noname
Silent Operator

Post by noname »

Well, psychologically fixed for the time being. I have a 1911 ACP I rigged up in a holster and took one of my thick leather belts for my skinny wife. She has a conceal carry permit but usually just shoots a Kahr PM 9. I usually have the same but now in the yard or on the tractor have a HK 45 ACP. I reload so no excuse for not practicing.

We have a big creek behind our house than runs through the woods. Perfect bear habitat. I have a couple game cameras ordered and leaving the flood lights on. Don't have the heart to take the bird feeders down but if we are hit again they will have to go. We don't have garbage/trash service where we live now. Moved here last summer. Summer would be tough keeping our big garbage can in the garage. Now it is beside the back door. I'll have to set something up like those guys on "Mountain Man" with nails.
Previously known as hardcase. Moved lost internet connection for 1+ years.
eowen37

Post by eowen37 »

If possible hang your bird feeders.

Lived in the North half of Wisconsin my whole life. We have lots of black bears. They have never bothered my hanging bird feeders. They always knock my neighbors bird feeders off the post. Black bears are more scared of you than what you should be of them. Just respect a sow with cubs.

Wolves will make the hair on my neck stand up way before a bear.