New here and looking for some help.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

DkgPB

New here and looking for some help.

Post by DkgPB »

Hi all! If this is the wrong place, I apologize. I just recently finished my first build and 300 blk is a new caliber to me. I hunt the north east, and most of my shots are under 100 yards (last 2 deer that I took were under 50 yards) and from my reading, the caliber doesn’t normally result in a “bang, flop” like I’m used to for a behind the shoulder shot. I have some deer season xp on the way and I am having a local shop put me on the list for federal fusion. Does anyone have experience and/or pictures of deer taken with these rounds? I did a quick search and couldn’t really find anything, but I could have overlooked it after working 18 hours on 4 hours of sleep.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: New here and looking for some help.

Post by rebel »

I take it you don't reload?
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
DkgPB

Post by DkgPB »

Unfortunately, not at this time. Just don’t have the room currently.
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

DkgPB wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:17 am Unfortunately, not at this time. Just don’t have the room currently.
Honestly not trying to sway you, but i started reloading with a lee hand press and a frankford arsenal battery powered digital scale.....no trickler just a tiny plastic spoon i tapped on to weigh powder. That will fit in a shoe box easy.
My reloading spot was the kitchen table, sometimes a recliner with an end table next to it.
I have more equipment since then but what i will say is that its fun to work up loads and even more once you drop a deer or 2 with your own loads. You dont need much space really starting out, it would be nice but can still be done anywhere and even on a tight budget.

Many here would steer you to the 125 SST, sounds like a great round that has dropped many deer. ( havent got to employ one yet in the field myself but i have some waiting.)

I used the barnes 110 tac-tx last fall...its another great round.

Shot placement is key.
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
DkgPB

Post by DkgPB »

ThreeHundredBlackout wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:24 pm
DkgPB wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:17 am Unfortunately, not at this time. Just don’t have the room currently.
Honestly not trying to sway you, but i started reloading with a lee hand press and a frankford arsenal battery powered digital scale.....no trickler just a tiny plastic spoon i tapped on to weigh powder. That will fit in a shoe box easy.
My reloading spot was the kitchen table, sometimes a recliner with an end table next to it.
I have more equipment since then but what i will say is that its fun to work up loads and even more once you drop a deer or 2 with your own loads. You dont need much space really starting out, it would be nice but can still be done anywhere and even on a tight budget.

Many here would steer you to the 125 SST, sounds like a great round that has dropped many deer. ( havent got to employ one yet in the field myself but i have some waiting.)

I used the barnes 110 tac-tx last fall...its another great round.

Shot placement is key.
Thank you. I’ve been looking into reloading at some point for sure.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Bang flop only works if you know how to shoot, or you have enough gun so that it does not matter if you shoot a deer in the butt and it’s brain explodes.

Check out member “withoutremorse42” search his posts for “federal fusion”. He used a barrel that was too short, shot a deer that was too far away and probably did a few other things wrong. Here’s part of the story.

viewtopic.php?f=145&t=102329&start=50

Here’s is his profile

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=5579
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
DkgPB

Post by DkgPB »

dellet wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:21 pm Bang flop only works if you know how to shoot, or you have enough gun so that it does not matter if you shoot a deer in the butt and it’s brain explodes.

Check out member “withoutremorse42” search his posts for “federal fusion”. He used a barrel that was too short, shot a deer that was too far away and probably did a few other things wrong. Here’s part of the story.

viewtopic.php?f=145&t=102329&start=50

Here’s is his profile

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=5579
I’ll read through that here in a bit. I’m using a 16” rifle unsupressed (I don’t live where I can have either an sbr or suppressor). I also never push my rifle to the outer edge of its limits. I actually only have 1 property that I could potentially have a shot over 100 yards and I hunt that rarely.
tikkablk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by tikkablk »

I’ve had a few bang flops with Lehigh Defence 168gr CF and 194gr ME.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

tikkablk wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:35 am I’ve had a few bang flops with Lehigh Defence 168gr CF and 194gr ME.
Yeah but you’re the only guy I would trust to stop a charging T-Rex with sub round.

Search tikka’s posts and you will find a wealth of knowledge, experience and success.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

DkgPB wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:23 pm Hi all! If this is the wrong place, I apologize. I just recently finished my first build and 300 blk is a new caliber to me. I hunt the north east, and most of my shots are under 100 yards (last 2 deer that I took were under 50 yards) and from my reading, the caliber doesn’t normally result in a “bang, flop” like I’m used to for a behind the shoulder shot. I have some deer season xp on the way and I am having a local shop put me on the list for federal fusion. Does anyone have experience and/or pictures of deer taken with these rounds? I did a quick search and couldn’t really find anything, but I could have overlooked it after working 18 hours on 4 hours of sleep.
HELLO!

NE Hunter here too! Also most all our deer shot under 100... until they walk out or never present a shot till they stop out past 150...

THIS ALONE is the single reason I have moved to the 25/45 & 6.5Grendel as my hunting round here.

Love the 300 it’s accuracy and light recoil and firearm make NOT choosing it TOUGH!! We have taken close to two dozen with them since about 2010. We is a couple friends who all bought and hunt with 300’s in Bolts and MSR’s. We have seen close to 50% DRT shots and NEVER lost a animal. Even two that where poor hits. RECOVERED! We have used most all bullets that are applicable bullets but don’t hunt with subs. So all 110-165g supers used here.

I’d advise ya look at a accurate load where ya push a 125 SST to 2150 and faster. (Ya probably won’t hit 2300) the lil 300 is a nice close range gun. For me that’s inside 125 yards. This bullet flat always works for us.

Look at the energy. Best loads DONT hit 1500 FPE & many loads dip below 1000 at impact velocities. Now that not a on off switch for dead/not dead but a line needs be drawn for ethical use. This is my line.

The other two calibers I mentioned allow me to ethically stretch to that very occasional 200yard need.

Many guys here with boatloads of knowledge here but a few less with hands on hunting with it under field conditions.

Good luck

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS