300 bo subsonic and hunting help

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Msol

300 bo subsonic and hunting help

Post by Msol »

Hey ya'll I'm new to the 300 bo round (currently use 308, 6.5 grendel, and 6.5 Creedmoor) and wouls love some first hand insight into hunting with a 300 bo. I will be running it suppressed thus why wanting to use subsonic rounds. Shots are between 100 to 200 yards and wondering what specific barrel length would be my best choice. Originally I wanted to build a 9" barrel setup, but don't think that may be the best choice. Any sight is appreciated.
Msol

Re: 300 bo subsonic and hunting help

Post by Msol »

I'd be running LeHigh Defense 300 bo ammo either
194gr subsonic maximum expansion
Or
198gr subsonic controlled fracturing
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Pinned thread on the top of this subforum.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Msol wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:56 am Hey ya'll I'm new to the 300 bo round (currently use 308, 6.5 grendel, and 6.5 Creedmoor) and wouls love some first hand insight into hunting with a 300 bo. I will be running it suppressed thus why wanting to use subsonic rounds. Shots are between 100 to 200 yards and wondering what specific barrel length would be my best choice. Originally I wanted to build a 9" barrel setup, but don't think that may be the best choice. Any sight is appreciated.
As Long as you use a properly designed bullet that expands at subsonic velocities, your only other concern is knowing the drop and knowing your distance.

Fail to follow either one of the above, will end up with either missed or wounded animals.

The 4 most important aspects of subsonic hunting

Bullet design
Bullet design
Shot Placement
Shot Placement
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
tikkablk
Senior Silent Operator

Post by tikkablk »

Like said above a proper designed projectile, knowledge of proper shot placement.
Because using subs shooting at longer ranges beyond 120m and range finder and range card and/or ballistic app like Sterlok to know your drops, a dial up scope or a ballistic reticle scope.
Lots of practice at intended distances, I practice on steel and balloons at different angles because where I hunt it isn’t flat country.
RKB731

Post by RKB731 »

I use the 190 grain Maker Rex at 1050 fps. Using a Nikon 3X scope with ballistic plex reticle, I know my hold out to 200 yards.

This buck was taken at 126 yards. He simply turned at the shot and walked 20 yards and expired.

NRA Life Member
HHI # 8053
SCI Member

"get busy living... or get busy dying"
dpete
Silent But Deadly

Post by dpete »

[/quote]

As Long as you use a properly designed bullet that expands at subsonic velocities, your only other concern is knowing the drop and knowing your distance.

Fail to follow either one of the above, will end up with either missed or wounded animals.

[/quote]

This^^^ There is no way in the world I would lob a subsonic round at an animal unless I was absolutely sure of its distance and the proper hold over on my scope. 100-200 yards...no way, not under the best of circumstances. I look at sub hunting as bow hunting with a rifle and at similar ranges. Sighted in at 50 yards I know my shots will be basically dead nuts on from 25 yards out to about 75. In the woods up here a 75 yard shot is about all you might get even if you were using supers anyway.