Javelina ammo loads

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Thom

Javelina ammo loads

Post by Thom »

I live in Arizona and got picked for Javelina. Does anyone else hunt the big rats ? And if you do what loads do you use?

Thanks
Thom
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: Javelina ammo loads

Post by bangbangping »

Last one I shot was with a cast lead sub.

And don't let anyone tell you the meat is no good. They're just nasty on the outside. :lol:
pauerpilot

Post by pauerpilot »

Aloha Thom.

Need a bit more info. What rifle are you using? Barrel length? Are you planning to hunt suppressed or not? Do you reload?

I am located in AZ as well. Javelinas are not overly tough critters. 300 BO has enough horsepower to take one down at "reasonable" ranges. I would look at bullet weights from 110gr to 150gr. Stay away from match ammo and bullets with thin copper jackets. The 110gr Barnes TAC TX is a good choice. 123gr Sierra Pro-Hinter is another good one. Their are lots of 150gr options out there as well.

Let me now the particulars and I can offer some more specific info.

Al
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

pauerpilot wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:27 am Stay away from match ammo and bullets with thin copper jackets.
I think I'll start carrying some Sierra 135 varmint rounds for when the deer aren't biting. Might be able to see completely through a javelina before it falls over. :P
Thom

Post by Thom »

I have a 10.5 inch barrel and I was thinking about shooting suppressed. We got drawn in unit 21. Looking around Dumas road, but haven't seen anything yet.
Thom