Bullet Recommendation?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Bullet Recommendation?

Post by rlandry6 »

Looking for a bullet for hog loads. Barrel is 16", 1:11 twiat, unsupressed, and super-sonic. Powder is H110 Will be loading a pretty large batch and don't want to break the bank. The Barnes blacktip 110s are nice bullets but they are twice the price of just about everything else. Thinking Hornady, something in the 110-120 range, either SST or A-max.
Recomendations?
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: Bullet Recommendation?

Post by bangbangping »

I recommend the 150 Gold Dot. It's cheap, generally shoots well, puts more energy on target than a 110 grain bullet, and expands well. H110 will work, but not the best choice. I haven't shot it in a 1:11, but have in a 1:10 with good results.
hogcaller
Silent Operator

Post by hogcaller »

X2 on the Gold Dot! I've killed a ton of hogs with it! Here's a link to a lot of good data that a bunch of us have contributed.

viewtopic.php?f=128&t=101961&start=300
"Sometimes you just gotta hunker down and take it like a jackass in a hail storm!"----Lyndon B. Johnson
der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

I'm using Hornady 110 grain SP bullets with H110 powder. I don't have a chronograph, but supposedly they run at about 2400fps. They don't have enough Oomph! to pass through a large hog. Shot placement is of some importance, as it probably is with any bullet out of a 300 BLK.
"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject." — John R. Lott
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

I've had good luck and lots of one shot kills on deer & hogs with the 125 gr. SST and H-110. I recently got bit by the 150 gr. Gold Dot bug and will probably switch over to it as my hunting bullet. have worked up a load using H-110. I haven't killed anything with it yet but it shoots good. as said above, H-110 is not the best powder for this weight bullet so I'm going to try some others.
peace through superior firepower
hogcaller
Silent Operator

Post by hogcaller »

blaster wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:07 am I've had good luck and lots of one shot kills on deer & hogs with the 125 gr. SST and H-110. I recently got bit by the 150 gr. Gold Dot bug and will probably switch over to it as my hunting bullet. have worked up a load using H-110. I haven't killed anything with it yet but it shoots good. as said above, H-110 is not the best powder for this weight bullet so I'm going to try some others.
I get great groups with Win296 and velocity a touch over 2,000 fps.
"Sometimes you just gotta hunker down and take it like a jackass in a hail storm!"----Lyndon B. Johnson
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

Best Value = 125 grain Speer TnT
Best Leaded = 150 grain Speer Gold Dot
Best Unleaded = 120 Grain Barnes VOR-TX
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

The 150 GD should be a good one. I cannot comment much more as I have one single deer with it. It worked as expected.

Another is the Speer 130 FP. It’s a tough bullet and well suited to larger tougher hogs. Plus is it can get better vel and energy than the 150’s (at least for me) I haven’t been able to hit 2K in a AR with them. But I’m solid 2050+ with this 130. Feeding has been fine too. I have taken a number of deer with it. Recovering one single bullet. That bullet went they TWO saplings before hitting the deer raking rearward on last rib into the guts. Was found in the ham. Yes he ran and lead a merry chase. But a shot between the eyes (because of stellar accuracy of this round) As he watched my buddy “jump rope” ahead of me.
One man stands other walks from behind not stopping till he is 40-60 yards ahead. Then standing man does same watching. Deer/ animals will always watch walking person. Honda like still hunting with a slow cautious walk.

Another might be Hornadys 135 FTX. But notoriously FTX has been a soft bullet. Meaning although heavier might shed weight quickly making it not better than a 125 ish. I have a couple boxes on my shelf but have t tried them yet. I do like the line for deer.

The 125 SST has been THE blk our bullet for us. Just seems to work great.

Good luck,

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

.,nlnlkn
peace through superior firepower